Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do? Delay... or chance it...

Hi!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

I decided last September (after two years consideration) to go ahead with WLS. Around October I decided that LapBand was the right choice for me. In January I started my prework and in March I saw my surgeon. I finally have all the work done and my information should be submitted to insurance for approval this week. I hope to have approval in 2 – 4 weeks. My dilemma is this:

I have been waiting so long that now it is so close I am very excited and want to get it done ASAP. However, I just found out I will be traveling outside the country for one month (July 22<SUP>nd</SUP> – August 22<SUP>nd</SUP>). They told me my surgery will be in the first part of July. I don’t feel comfortable leaving the country just weeks after surgery, not even sure if my surgeon would allow it. IF he did, would you have traveled that far for that long just 3 – 4 weeks after your surgery? Or is that nuts? Otherwise I would have to wait until September which doesn’t work as well for me… (in terms of work, etc…) I know September isn’t THAT far away. I have just had in my head that I would have surgery so much before that and was mentally preparing… now I am not sure what to do…

I appreciate all input and advice!!

Thank you!<o:p></o:p>

Well I can certain appreciate your excitement! I guess it would depend on which country and how well they'd be prepared for an emergency. You will probably be fine, but it's that 'what if' that is the kicker for me. I'd have to ask your doc what he/she recommends. Good luck on your decision and congrats on your upcoming band!

It's so difficult once you make up your mind to get started. I had to delay mine, after much thought, because hubby and I planned a cruise in May. If I had gotten the OK a little earlier I might have gone ahead and done it, but 5 weeks out was too close for me. You have waited this long so waiting a little longer is OK. I wouldn't want to be in a foreign country trying to work and just had surgery. I have read here that some have gone travelling just several weeks after surgery. My fear is that you don't know if you will have a speedy recovery or a slower one. Work pays the bills. If your doctor requires a liquid diet before surgery maybe you could start that your last 2 weeks before returning. That way you would be ready for surgery on your return. Just an idea. Do what you are most comfortable with, but don't take chances. This is a lifetime committment.

I'm sure there are lots of people here that had their sugery in Mexico and had to travel home afterward.

I wouldn't think it would be problem. As long as you know where you are going you can get in the liquid and/or mushies for your meals then I would think it would be fine. I felt great a week after surgery was back to work and the qym.

The hardest part about traveling would be regulating what food you have access too.

For some the surgery is harder then it is for others so I'd discuss with your doctor but I was out of town for business the week after (not our of the country though) and the hardest part was finding mushie food to eat.

If you know your iterany then you could ask you research and find a doctor in the country your traveling too for any emergencies and have your doctor's emergency information.

Oh nooooo. I would never plan to travel that soon after surgery. I was totally laid up for two weeks and barely making it into work week three. I didn't feel well enough to travel until about week six. Everyone is different, but I wouldn't have wanted to risk it.

This surgery not only affects your body - it affects your mind... for some in unpredictable ways. I think you should wait - not only for the healing time - but for the mental adjustment that is needed.

Just my 2.

good luck in your decision.

I think it would be too soon to travel anywhere let alone outside of the country. You also have to think about pulling your luggage, lifting it to be checked. I mistakenly booked a trip to Maine at the end of the month and I'm sorry I did. Still having a lot of port pain everyday. You will be surprised how fast 2 months can pass. I wish you the best whatever you decide.

Roberta

Three to Four weeks after surgery may not be too bad, I was one of those who traveled back home to NY after going to Mexico and though a bit of work manuevering my luggage and flying home, I was okay. I just vegged the next whole week. It really depends on what you are going to be doing while abroad. The first 2-3 weeks if you can just sit home and totally heal you should be okay to do a trip to one destination to go to some meetings or leisurely sightsee. But if you are going to a lot of cities and dragging lots of luggage or having really long days, I'd put it off. Also, depending on when your doc lets you eat solids, finding mushy foods might be a tough, I guess you can lug around canned Protein Drinks, but what a hassle!!!

Maybe I should have given more details! I am currently in NC but from Newfoundland, Canada. I would be going home there for that month. I wouldn't have to lift much on the way home because hubby would be goign with me. Back again the end of August I would have a 4 year old and 1 year old and luggage.

I believe I will wait. Why take a chance...