Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Seriously?!!? Weight loss 'tips'

I went to an initial seminar last week where the hospital discussed 4 different WLS methods and I submitted my paperwork to start the insurance approval process for the lapband. The staff called me last week to say I was approved by my insurance company and am now waiting for the doctor's office to call me back for the initial consult with the surgeon / staff, to find out my insurer's requirements, set up initial appointments, etc. etc. I'm torn between keeping this private between my husband and me, and sharing with immediate family / friends. My husband is so extremely supportive, and has cautioned me on NOT telling my mom because she's a pessimist about everything, and often times her favorite hobby is criticizing anything I do. He's afraid instead of supporting me, she'll throw it in my face. He cautions that I can't un-ring the bell, and once it's out, it's out. I think I need to share with family because so many things will be different about me...obviously my eating will change, and I don't want family members at get-together functions or holidays to think I'm not enjoying myself, or not wanting to participate because I'm not eating. Has anyone reading this experienced similar concerns, and how did you handle them? What are your thoughts on me keeping private with husband or sharing with family? BTW, my mom is approximately 300lbs, and I suggested to my husband that if I'm an inspiration to her, wouldn't it be worth it? He's of the opinion that it wouldn't, because she doesn't even get her annual well-woman exams, so she isn't concerned about her health anyway.

Whoops - I just did my first post, and realized I forgot to get out of this topic....Responders - please be gentle and no scolding.... :D

I went to an initial seminar last week where the hospital discussed 4 different WLS methods and I submitted my paperwork to start the insurance approval process for the lapband. The staff called me last week to say I was approved by my insurance company and am now waiting for the doctor's office to call me back for the initial consult with the surgeon / staff, to find out my insurer's requirements, set up initial appointments, etc. etc. I'm torn between keeping this private between my husband and me, and sharing with immediate family / friends. My husband is so extremely supportive, and has cautioned me on NOT telling my mom because she's a pessimist about everything, and often times her favorite hobby is criticizing anything I do. He's afraid instead of supporting me, she'll throw it in my face. He cautions that I can't un-ring the bell, and once it's out, it's out. I think I need to share with family because so many things will be different about me...obviously my eating will change, and I don't want family members at get-together functions or holidays to think I'm not enjoying myself, or not wanting to participate because I'm not eating. Has anyone reading this experienced similar concerns, and how did you handle them? What are your thoughts on me keeping private with husband or sharing with family? BTW, my mom is approximately 300lbs, and I suggested to my husband that if I'm an inspiration to her, wouldn't it be worth it? He's of the opinion that it wouldn't, because she doesn't even get her annual well-woman exams, so she isn't concerned about her health anyway.

Listen to your hubby and don't tell. Like he said, you can't untell it

Don't be concerned about people noticing your eating habits. I'm 5 1/2 months out and I can tell you by my own experience, no one pays attention to what you are eating...they are busy thinking about what they are eating. I've gone out to dinner several times with people who are unaware I am banded...and no one says squat about what I'm eating...or not. Besides...you can always say you are not that hungry...you have an upset stomach, you are counting calories..which is not a lie..you will be counting calories....blah blah blah. I promise you, no one will notice if you don't bring attention to it.

I'd do what your husband suggests. Sounds like your mom has her own issues and you don't need her crap on top of the stress you will have until you are used to this new banded life. Good luck on your lapband journey.