Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein.....injury......aarrgghhh!

I have been off this site for a while and decided to come back to see if I am not alone in this! I know we all have different experiences, but mine seems to be unique! Has anyone had lap band surgery and when they were intubated their vocal chords were damaged? Well I hope I am alone or if there is someone out there who has experienced this, please look me up! I had surgery on 4-1-13 and when I had the surgery the anesthesiologist never came to have a talk with me, she sent her assistant, and well just asked if anyone in my family or if I had ever had problems waking up after surgery, etc... anyway, I have no voice, a week after the surgery I was in the ER with what they thought was pulmonary embolisms, well it was where my left vocal chord was paralyzed and all the docs kept telling me to wait and my voice would return. Note to you....don't let anyone tell you to wait when you think something is wrong! So I had been injected with some sort of collagen material to move the chord back to the center, that was two weeks ago and when I went to see my doc it appears to not have worked. I am so upset! We can inject it again and hope it takes or we can put in an implant and hopes that it will take....I am soooo planning on suing, I never ever thought this would happen. It has affected my weight loss, my surgery recovery and my psyche as I sound like a man.....wouldn't be so bad except I am a woman. Anyone out there that has this, let me know...I need someone to talk with!

I am so sorry you had such an inexcusable injury during anesthesia. You can get your medical records , copy anything you need from the surgery and see a lawyer. The anesthesiologist should have seen you prior to surgery. I'd follow up on this closely as well you know. I hope your voice returns and I remember the dinger Julie Andrews had a similar problem in surgery and had complications with not being able to sing for years

I am really sorry you are having these problems. I pray your voice will return.

I actually had a positive experience with being intubated. I had a bad car accident 7mths prior to LBS. I had suffered excruciating neck and shoulder pain, that nothing helped. Well during surgery to place the air tube they had to pull my head straight back and whatever they did, I woke up with no more neck pain. I tell everyone I got a bogo.

I have been intubated many times and all I've suffered is a slight sore throat.

I truly hope you find relief.So very sorry!

Sorry you had this problem. I would be unhappy too!