Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise: When does it get easier?

As I was riding to work this morning, I passed four or five spots that were at one time the limits of what I could do on my bike before I had to turn around and head back.

I was reminded of a conversation I had with my wife last year, we had started walking walking together for 3 miles before work, and after a couple of weeks she asked, "Shouldn't this be getting easier?' My answer was no, if you want 3 miles to be easier, we need to start walking 4. So, we did and after a week of walking 4 together, she remarked that I was right, it was much easier to walk 3 than it had been.

So, the question of when does exercise get easier? The short answer is of course, never. :o The long answer is that since our bodies are basically lazy and will only do what is required of them, in order to make what I am doing today easier, I have to do more, which is harder. :lol:

So, in order to make the 3 days a week that I ride to work easier, I need to ride farther on my off days :(

As I was riding to work this morning, I passed four or five spots that were at one time the limits of what I could do on my bike before I had to turn around and head back.

I was reminded of a conversation I had with my wife last year, we had started walking walking together for 3 miles before work, and after a couple of weeks she asked, "Shouldn't this be getting easier?' My answer was no, if you want 3 miles to be easier, we need to start walking 4. So, we did and after a week of walking 4 together, she remarked that I was right, it was much easier to walk 3 than it had been.

So, the question of when does exercise get easier? The short answer is of course, never. :o The long answer is that since our bodies are basically lazy and will only do what is required of them, in order to make what I am doing today easier, I have to do more, which is harder. :lol:

So, in order to make the 3 days a week that I ride to work easier, I need to ride farther on my off days :(

I'm tired just reading about it :mellow:

I go through ebbs and flows of this. Sometimes exercise easy peazy and then sometimes it kicks my butt. I always attributed it to my asthma and the things that trigger it. Granted, with the weight loss my breathing is better, but when allergy season rolls around - nothing helps.

I always wear a heart monitor belt...if I am not doing cardio - aerobics, then I feel I wasted an opportunity.....

It is not important how I do it, (although running is the most effieicent for me) but getting to 85% of my Max Heart Rate...and keeping it there for at LEAST 20 minutes....

In the beginning, 5 minutes was hard...had to do 5 on 5 off...then it was 10, then 20 on 5 off...

Now, 20 minutes and I am just getting warmed up, in that special "Groove"

Then there is the "Runners High" when you get in that groove and sustain it.....

I have actually come to a point where, after say 20-30 minutes I feel my body is almost dead. My mind then has to take control if I am to continue.

When running is initially very hard, there is a war going on between the body and the mind.

If the body wins, I will have to give up and stop, call it a day........ if my mind wins, I will continue.

At that time I begin to feel that I stay outside of my body. It is as if I see my body as not being part of me, or the process...I can think about my body and what it is doing as though it is not here, but a little over there...maybe right in front of me..... my mind commands and my body follows. This is a very euphoric feeling, which I strive for every time I run. . .you actually experience your personality separate from your body, as two different things.

I can feel at that point, I can run forever and ever....if I so choose.... feeling of invincibility and superior performance....to name a few...like happiness, peace of mind...

Once you have experienced that, and can repeat it on occasion...you will do ANYTHING to get it again and again...like a drug, you're addicted and you don't let the initial pain and hard work get in the way...

There is a reason you see runners, and cyclists for that matter...all over the place no matter where you go, all different times of day...

Just typing this makes me feel I want to get out there right now....

Once you have experienced that, and can repeat it on occasion...you will do ANYTHING to get it again and again...like a drug, you're addicted and you don't let the initial pain and hard work get in the way...

There is a reason you see runners, and cyclists for that matter...all over the place no matter where you go, all different times of day...

I know what you are talking about, there are times on my bike that I get to that point and become one with the bike, sun beating down, legs pumping, it is truly a moment of zen. Then there are the other times, legs and lungs are on fire and you know that you have taken the turn off to Hell. :)

I know what you are talking about, there are times on my bike that I get to that point and become one with the bike, sun beating down, legs pumping, it is truly a moment of zen. Then there are the other times, legs and lungs are on fire and you know that you have taken the turn off to Hell. :)

True....there have been days I was completely somewhere else, a very pleasurable place.... for as much as an hour and forgot completely I was even running.......I wish I could somehow bottle it...

Because of that I am very superstitious and have certain rituals..what I eat and drink, which Vitamins, etc, even what clothes I wear......before I work out...I want it to be "Just right" which it always isn't...but I'm working on finding that formula...

I so know what you all are referring to... I couldn't ( at least in my mind ) "exercise" more than a few minutes last spring without feeling that mind control....telling me I couldn't do it. Too hard! Not worth it!

But I slowly resisted that feeling..a little more each time. One week turned to a month, then months...and so it continues. There are still those days occasionally, when after I start riding my mind says todays just not gonna be a good day...why don't you just turn around. Maybe go back to the house and relax...maybe EAT!

But if I just stick with it, that feeling soon goes away! And just like yesterday...after about 30 miles of riding, I found myself literally singing along to my tunes, fistpumping, etc, while riding!!! The feeling is amazing...undescribable.... And it all started with ONE mile! and reading from folks who've been there, right here on this forum.

This is probably no big deal for most of you but I've started walking recently and at it has actually been kind of difficult to do a mile, mostly because my feet alway s hurt really bad. I just walked this evening though, found a little different way to walk that didn't hurt my feet as bad, and did 2 miles. Again, probably not a big deal to y'all but for me it was awesome! Now I know I can for sure do 2 miles and will push to do more!