Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Have A Surgery Date!

Hello Everyone,

Just thought I would let you know I finally have a surgery date for May 9. Wasn't given much notice, paper work again but at least the day is finally here. I've been reading things about foods to eat afterwards, etc. Is there anything specifically that you would advise I know or do before the surgery to be better prepared?

Thanks for all your encouragement. Remember me in your prayers.

Thanks,

Soon to be a bandster

Vickie

Congrats Vickie, it really depends on what your doctors orders are, but I'd start trying some Protein powders now to find one you like. You want as much Protein as possible, with the least amount of calories possible. I like the GNC brand "proplan" I think. I also like the coffee flavored EAS brand premixed drinks. They can be rather pricey though that way. If you doc lets you have mushies pretty soon. Stock up on soft foods you like, but try to keep the protein high. You probally won't be eating much so caloires while important isn't as important as protein.

Move as soon as you are able after surgery and try not to sit too long at any length. The more you move, the quicker your recovery and the I really believe the easier the gas pain. I did laps around the inside of my house every hour the first few days home.

Good luck and if you are feeling up to it, join us on the 20th for our meeting.

Thanks Melissa,

Do you know if the Carnation Advance Edge Zero Sugar Carbs would be okay? I like them and they are easy for me to use on the go, just pour from the packets, also I have some Atkins drinks. Would that be the Protein I need or do I really need to get some type of Protein Powder to add into something. What kind of drinks do you put the powder in?

I used carb countdown milk to put my mixes in. It has a bit more Protein in it thn other brands if I remember right. I tried to get in about 30 grams of protein per drank especially the first bit since I couldn't even drink but like 2 oz at a time. I tried to get in 2 drinks a day. I drank them out of a medicine cup or shot glass. LOL

Hey, congrats! May 9 is a GREAT day to be banded. It's my birthday!!!

I didn't get complicated on the post-op protien drinks. I got Boost. Yay me. Okay, so I DID get the High Protien version. Stock up on your chicken broth, popsicles, Jello (great to sip while still warm and liquidy, surprisingly yummy) and, let's see...gosh, it's been so long! Anyhow, WTG on your date! wahoooo!

Jello doesn't HAVE to be sugar free...but why eat/drink the extra sugar? Most folks do SF popsicles and jello. I won't tell if you keep the sugar, though! ssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Vickie! Who is doing your surgery? Our thoughts and prayers go with you. Like Melissa, I hope you can join us for lunch on May 20th.

Thanks for all the info, especially the site that suggests items needed after post op, most helpful!. I am nervous but excited, so much to do never enough time!

Vickie:omg:

Yay, I'll mention you among my prayers. I hope by the end of the surgery we both can say all is well and we are on the road to recovery.

Good Luck Bandmate!

Vickie

YEAH Vickie...that is great news. It is so good to see you around here again. Girl that date will be here before you know it. Keep us posted.

We will be praying for you!!!

:) Okay I need help! Today I met with my doctor to sign all the papers etc. I did just fine, no worries! All of a sudden about 5:00 my emotions seem to get the best of me. I became agitated and couldn't understand why, nothing had happened to get me upset. A couple of hours later, my husband and I went out and I started getting severe shaking and started crying at the movie theater, it was not a sad movie or mushy. It was a espionage type movie. I began to feel faint and tense. It was like I lost control of myself. I've also been having a reoccurring nightmare the last couple of nights (I rarely have nightmares especially reocurring ones). It's like all of a sudden I am having a panic attack. I don't usually react this way. I started getting stomach pains. What is going on? Did anyone else experience these type of things? What can I do?

Help

Vickie:confused:

Hello Everyone,

Just thought I would let you know I finally have a surgery date for May 9. Wasn't given much notice, paper work again but at least the day is finally here. I've been reading things about foods to eat afterwards, etc. Is there anything specifically that you would advise I know or do before the surgery to be better prepared?

Thanks for all your encouragement. Remember me in your prayers.

Thanks,

Soon to be a bandster

Vickie

vericks

Help again please

Okay I need help! Today I met with my doctor to sign all the papers etc. I did just fine, no worries! All of a sudden about 5:00 my emotions seem to get the best of me. I became agitated and couldn't understand why, nothing had happened to get me upset. A couple of hours later, my husband and I went out and I started getting severe shaking and started crying at the movie theater, it was not a sad movie or mushy. It was a espionage type movie. I began to feel faint and tense. It was like I lost control of myself. I've also been having a reoccurring nightmare the last couple of nights (I rarely have nightmares especially reocurring ones). It's like all of a sudden I am having a panic attack. I don't usually react this way. I started getting stomach pains. What is going on? Did anyone else experience these type of things? What can I do?

Help

Vickie