Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally Have A Surgery Date!

You're stressing about the surgery. I imagine, I will have the same issue. Its a lifestyle change and I know, I'm worried "is this really right for me"? "Will I just fail at this too?"

On the main support thread, there are some good "reassurance" threads.

I agree with Jill, its just the stress of it. I had to convience hubby that surgery was the right thing....s when I started getting panic attacks I had to try and keep them hidden. Didn't want to worry him again. I found it easier thinking...whats the worse that can happen.....it might not work for me I might eat arond the band was my anwser. Then I immediatly followed that was whats the best that could happen. I might finally be free of constant hunger, learn to eat healthy and be a normal weight. The best that could happen of course made the gamble worth it. I've lost 43 lbs....it's not always easy, but I'm only dealing with my food choices now and all the head stuff that comes when you diet. I really don't deal with the hunger as much which certainly makes the other easier I think we all have the fantasy that one night we will go to bed and wake up thin the next morning. Unfortantly that ain't going to happen, but I guess this is the next best thing. Hope you get to feeling less anxious about it. We are all here to talk to if you need us.

Those questions are exactly what I've been asking myself. I hope its just a momentary melt down. I seem to be doing better this morning, but I still feel different. I will check out the threads you recommended.

Thanks

Vickie

OK Vicky, where are you? How are you doing? Are living in the land of the banded now?

I just returned home yesterday. I have been having quite a bit of pain in my neck and left shoulder, not sure what that's from. My son got me some of those Ben gay pads and a heating pad it's been helping some. I move slow but I am making myself get up and down to walk a little. I am pretty much living on Jello and popsicles. I have kept most of it down but struggled a couple of times. It's hard getting my liquid medicine down but it sure helps with some of the pain. I don't feel the pain so much from the surgery as I do from the pain in my shoulder and neck. I've tried lots of pillows, but my husband is going to get me one of those slanted type of foam pillows to see if that helps. I couldn't sleep in the bed last night and found it better if I slept on the lounger chair. It helped me so much more. Considering this has only been my second day since surgery I feel I am doing fairly well. Have any of you guys dealt with the should and neck pain thing? It's pretty bad. I am officially banded now. I am trying to get liquids down me, I keep trying to sip but it's not easy getting all the ounces they want you to get in. Anyone got any suggestions? Does popsicles count as Water in take, because I seem to handle the sugar free popsicles better than anything els. I am surprised I am able to move around as much as I can, especially since I had the hernia operated on as well. Dr. Enoch's says that he didn't have to do as much repair as he originally thought he would be doing on the hernia. He stictched it up and wrapped it, then banded me. I havent felt hungry which is a blessing, but I probably need to be taking in more. I kind have just been going with what my body feels like handling. Does that sound normal? Hopefully in a week or so I will have a lot of this shoulder and neck pain over with. I am trying to sit up more than lay down.

Thanks all of you, got to rest.

Vickie

I'm not there yet, but from everything I've read, it sounds like pain from the air they pump into your abdominal cavity during surgery. I've also read that moving as much as you can helps it go away faster, as does sleeping in a more upright position.

I'm sure those who are actually banded already will chime in for you any time now.

I'm glad you're doing well! I'm not far behind you!

Vickie - oh the pain the shoulder and neck...how soon we forget. That is VERY normal...it's from the gas they use to blow up your stomach. There is no gas meds that will help w/ it. A heating pad and walking. The more you work it out the faster you will feel better. :Banane13: And the bed - well I was able to sleep in it but it was sitting up. I think most of us used the recliners for the first few days. Hang in there and welcome to the land of the banded!!!!! Oh and remember to sip...warm liquids will help open you up a little. So warm tea, broth, anything you like...Just remember to sip!!!

Just walk walk walk....get up at least once an hour and walk for 10 to 15 minutes. I'm not talking marathon walking but just puttering around the house. I drank my protien shakes every hour on the hour out of a shot glass. LOL It helped get them down and I didn't really get hungry since I was going to sip another one in an hour. Heating pad on the shoulder is good too. Can't help you on the bed though, I slept two nights in the corner of my sectional (no recliner) than went to bed in my waterbed.