Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a little less than two weeks out, now, and my eagerness and optimism are beginning to evolve into a deep concern.

I know three individuals who have gone through Lap Band procedures. By all accounts, their choices have been highly effective and free of complications. Taking this anecdotally, I should feel pretty good about my decision.

However, since I've been reading the many helpful posts here, I have found myself keeping score between problem-free and problematic outcomes. I am rapidly finding the comparison to be troubling.

I get that the law of big numbers is, perhaps, skewing my point of view (I.e. my three examples versus the whole of this community's participants), but this is very quickly becoming a personal difficulty.

Deacon - PLEASE don't let the complications posted knock you off your foundation. Try to remember that this site is only a fraction of the thousands who have had problem free success with the band. I'm not saying that I don't understand how you feel. At one point, I myself had to take myself off the site, because the negative/complication posts were freaking me out. After about 2 1/2 weeks, I started to miss all of the positive/healthy support, which is a LOT more than the problems. Sure, many with the band will experience some discomfort at some point, but mostly it's from improper eating.

Try & relax & and focus on the positive step you took to improve your life. Honestly, if the negatives you read here are effecting you that badly, walk away from this. It's more important that you focus on your health, and take directives from your doctor.

PS: But I would hate to see you walk away from a resource that can help you through....not only your recovery from surgery, but from all the changes that lay ahead.

Stay positive.......you did something really GOOD for yourself :)

The fact is, most people don't post if they don't have a reason to. Posters in this forum tend to fall into the following categories:

1) people investigating the band

2) people who have just had the band

3) people who are in the process of losing weight

4) people who have complications

5) people who have lost the weight, have no issues with the band and now no longer require support from others

That last group is probably the smallest group here on lapbandtalk. I hazard a guess they make up less than 5% of the whole forum. But outside of the forum, they would make up the majority of lapbanders, conservatively speaking.

So this forum is NO true representation of the success of the lapband. If you want that, you need to find real statistics regarding the band's success.

What lellow said.

People with problems are always louder than those without. Don't get discouraged. I am at 19 months and trouble free.

14mos and trouble free!

I was kind of a worse case scenario: I had a slip after eight months and had to have full on surgery again within ten months of my first surgery... BUT ... I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. My first surgery I felt was awful because it took me a full seven days to recover from... my second surgery was a breeze. I am not quite at goal yet, but I recently told a friend that if I never lost another pound I am so much happier than I was pre-surgery!!!!

You are wise to be concerned. Any major, elective surgery should never be undertaken lightly.

But, you have to weigh the risks between staying where you are at--and the longevity and quality of life you might expect without having WLS. I was scared silly having surgery for the band. My surgeon told me nothing was guaranteed, and that I could die as a result of the surgery,

You're going to have to decide if you have faith in your surgeon, which was for me more important than choosing which surgery I wanted! If your surgeon has a good reputation, I'd trust his judgement.

edit: corrected typo

Here goes my 2 cents of advise for what it is worth.... I am just shy of my one year ban anniversary. This has been the most challenging and rewarding year in my life! Not challenging with complications or issues but with having to listen to my body and most of all by not giving up! I am finally in the green zone and the weight is steady now. I also have resigned that I am a slow loser which is OK with me as long as it is coming off and I am in good health. (Lost just under 50lbs so far)

My best advise is take the positive suggestions that you find have merit here, (check with your Dr before adding supplements) from this site and do not allow any negative suggestions or stories have a negative impact on your own success.

This is now your story to write, live or tell, so make it something you can be proud of and avoid all negative! It was that negative thinking which got me to this place in life!

For the record I told my Dr today this is the best I have felt in 2 years! I am loving life again! Priceless!

Omg thank you so much i have been doing research on lapband for a while and just today i was having second thoughts. Because i had the last test before my surgery date i was there by myself and im just lost not a lot of support or anythang but you made my night thank you sorry for the rambling on lol! :-)

The forum has much to offer. But, just like anything..... There' s a mix of people.I had a fairly un eventful first 2 years, grat weight loss. Then had a band slip and needed surgery to fix that. Now , I have gotten a second chance at starting over with the band

Your welcome! Please keep in mind you do not just get the band and the weight falls off. We do have to go through a period where we continue to develop good eating habits and exercise. When the fills get you to the green zone it all begins to really work on its own with little effort. Just know you will be in that struggle period first before it becomes very easy! Hang in there....it is so worth it. For the record I have seen others have much less struggle than I and greater loss in shorter periods. Everyone is different! Best of luck my friend in making a better happier future for you! My future is so bright and full of energy,I hope that success for you as well! Love my band!

14mos and trouble free!

I love seeing the record of your journey. I gives me a good idea of how often fills are done. I know everyone is different but I was curious. Having my consult the 14th.