Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain, help :-(

I've had a stuck episode for the last hour with sharp, shooting pain coming probably every minute. It comes in very even, predictable waves and I don't know what to do. I don't have anything on hand like papaya enzymes or anything like that, and it's the middle of the night and I'm at home. I think I'm stuck on a piece of a hazelnut, which I'm not sure why I ate in the first place, but I feel like it's scratching my insides. I tried drinking a cup of coffee, but that hurt, and it didn't seem to loosen the band. I also took some aspirin. Is there anything else we can do?

Don't take any more aspirin. Nsaids will thin the blood and if the nut scratches the stomach you could cause an ulcer and bleed.

Try a teaspoon of some kind of oil. Grease up the lining of your esophogus and pouch so that the hard object can slide through. If the object is in your pouch, stomach acids are breaking it down as I type but it may take a few hours for it to break up and pass.

I've also heard that some people drink a carbonated beverage. A swallow will do. The carbonation expands the pouch causing pressure on the lodged food to go up or down? I've only tried it once and it really didn't work for me but it does make some sense.

Others drink papaye juice but I've never tried that one as it doesn't seem to make much sense to me but for others it's worked. Good luck and go to the ER if you are in too much pain.

tmf

Thank you, I'll try the oil! Maybe honey will work, I'll try that first...

I definitely don't want anything with carbonation as my whole esophagus feels raw and irritated.

Wah!!!

You're far enough out of surgery to know better but so am I and I still get stuck. Distraction is my enemy. I ate some peanuts today and I felt one slip through the backside of my mouth and down my esophogus while I was rummedging through the veggie drawer.. I stopped eating and just froze in anticipation of the certain huge stuck episode to come. I lucked out and it passed through. Whew, dodged a bullet that time.

tmf

Yeah, I don't usually get stuck like this anymore. But I just had a fill on Friday morning. I had absolutely no business eating what I did, but those stupid Ferrero Rocher chocolates with the Nutella on the inside were taunting me in the checkout line of the deli and I caved... I KNEW I shouldn't get one, but did I listen?

Tried the honey and we'll see how it goes, but even that hurt!!

I don't think I'm stuck, I think my esophagus is irritated... But I'm now crying it hurts so much. Nothing has helped and this has been going on 2 hours now. Ooooooouch. X-(

I would schedule an esophogram ASAP.

A little general info......just because you have pain does not mean you are stuck....

I have not been stuck for almost 18 months....but I still get pain if I do something I know I shouldn't....

Like swallowing something too large without chewing it down properly will cause me a lot of pain....it will pass through the band, but the pain can linger for what seems forever...like someone punching you in the arm....the damage is done and everything swallowed will be felt with pain because of the irritation done.

I have even experienced severe pain by drinking Water alone...at the gym, running on the treadmill and working up a sweat, I'll take 2-3 large gulps of Water without thinking...faster than it can pass through the band...PAIN! And that can linger for a while...just from water....a sure sign I am stretching my pouch!!!

IMO, the LAST thing anyone should do is drink carbonated drinks while stuck....unless you want your pouch to stretch, possible doubling your pain....

There is a reason many Dr.'s say no carbonation...I drink them all the time...but I know what I'm doing when I do, and my Dr. has questioned me to be sure I understood....and one of the tricks is knowing a carbonated drink is passing right through to the stomach freely....being stuck would mean carbonation will accumulate in your pouch and, well, your asking for problems....

Many people I know swear by papaya enzymes for getting un stuck...I never used them but some never leave home without it....carry it with them all the time....

I have always simply sipped water...if the drain is truly clogged, than adding water will make the sink overflow....and with the band, will bring up what was causing the blockage....if not, then the slime will start to accumulate eventually which is the body's way of accomplishing the same thing to dislodge the cause...

But pain alone does not always mean you are stuck..it can mean you traumatized the area and need to give it a chance to heal, and learn how to avoid it in the future...unless you like pouch dilation and possibly erosion.....

If you cannot recognize these things, and treat it accordingly, then the Dr. will have to give you a un-fill to let the site heal properly....

pineapple juice works for me every time when my stoma is irritated. It's my go-to because you can buy it from regular shops (well you can here in Australia) so if I get an unexpected stuck episode, even my partner knows to run to the shops and get me pineapple juice.< /p>

If you can get some, try it. Slow, small sips. And cold if you can take it.

Try sucking crushed ice

just because you have pain does not mean you are stuck....

I have not been stuck for almost 18 months....but I still get pain if I do something I know I shouldn't....

Like swallowing something too large without chewing it down properly will cause me a lot of pain....it will pass through the band' date=' but the pain can linger for what seems forever...like someone punching you in the arm....the damage is done and everything swallowed will be felt with pain because of the irritation done.

IMO, the LAST thing anyone should do is drink carbonated drinks while stuck....unless you want your pouch to stretch, possible doubling your pain....

[/quote']

Couldn't agree more. This is definitely lingering pain from being an idiot.

Update:

I was in a lot of pain for 36 hours or so. Baby aspirin helped a little, but not much.

Then yesterday I was in GNC buying a Protein Shake and asked if they had antacids thinking I'd try that, and the lady said "All we carry our papaya enzymes."

So I bought some and OMG they totally helped!! No idea what makes them work, and they sure do smell bad, but I feel much better. Now just trying to keep to soothing foods.

Thanks for your advice!