Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am getting the band hopefully around the end of September early October. I forgot to ask at my consultation about the fact that I'm Hypoglycemic. I should be okay if I'm eating every few hours but I know if I don't eat a lot I get dizzy. I'm nervous with the size of my stomach I will be dizzy a lot of the time. Any one experience this or have any opinions on it ?

I have reactive hypoglycemia, and I've been totally fine since surgery. I think because I'm eating high Protein at every meal, it keeps me stable for longer periods.

I did talk with my doctor about this, and he told me that if I ABSOLUTELY started to get shaky & needed to eat something in between meals, he suggested that I split my meal; eat half at mealtime, and the other half in between. You can break your calories up throughout the day, but the reality is, the band is built to work on three meals a day. And I have to say, I've been totally fine......for the most part. The only time I've had a blood sugar episode, is if I eat something higher in carbs than Protein. My body lets me know!

I have reactive hypoglycemia' date=' and I've been totally fine since surgery. I think because I'm eating high Protein at every meal, it keeps me stable for longer periods.

I did talk with my doctor about this, and he told me that if I ABSOLUTELY started to get shaky & needed to eat something in between meals, he suggested that I split my meal; eat half at mealtime, and the other half in between. You can break your calories up throughout the day, but the reality is, the band is built to work on three meals a day. And I have to say, I've been totally fine......for the most part. The only time I've had a blood sugar episode, is if I eat something higher in carbs than Protein. My body lets me know![/quote']

Thank you so much for your feed back! I'm really nervous about the liquid phases before and after the surgery. I'm nervous I won't be getting enough nutrition then .. How were you doing those phases ?

For the liquid phases try this:

At the top of each hour drink 2-3 ounces of a Protein based liquid.

Each 15 minutes thereafter you should be sipping a hydrating liquid.

Repeat... that way you are essentially adding Protein every hour. This worked very well for me. I am on three regular lapband meals now, but I always carry a Protein Bar in case I can't get to the meal within 5 hours.

Best wishes.

For the liquid phases try this:

At the top of each hour drink 2-3 ounces of a Protein based liquid.

Each 15 minutes thereafter you should be sipping a hydrating liquid.

Repeat... that way you are essentially adding Protein every hour. This worked very well for me. I am on three regular lapband meals now' date=' but I always carry a Protein Bar in case I can't get to the meal within 5 hours.

Best wishes.[/quote']

Thank you so much ! I'm not at that phase just yet but when I am I will definitely try this out.

Thank you so much for your feed back! I'm really nervous about the liquid phases before and after the surgery. I'm nervous I won't be getting enough nutrition then .. How were you doing those phases ?

During the liquid phase, you eat more often than when on solid foods. As I recall, I had a Protein Shake first thing in the morning, and when I got hungry, had either another one, or some Soup. Even though fruit juices are allowed, I highly recommend staying away from them. TOO much sugar! Even before surgery, I could not drink juice; with or without a meal. The sugar played havoc with my blood sugar, and I'd spend the rest of the day eating horribly to stabilize it. I always envied people (like my father) who could have pie and coffee for Breakfast, and go on his merry way.....like nothing! That type of Breakfast would send me to the ER! :wacko:

I think you'll be just fine. Just make sure that Protein is the first thing that you ingest. And make sure that you never leave the house without something in your purse. During the liquid phase, that can be a ready made shake...like Premier Protein (something along those lines).

PS: The liquid phase is difficult for everyone; blood sugar issues or not. I also felt that I wasn't getting enough nutrition (in a way, I still feel that way since fruit & veggies are such a small part of my eating). Just make sure to take all of the recommended supplements. I was so bad at Vitamins prior to surgery, but I'm really good with them now :-)