Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fill from hell (LONG)

Help?

Banded 3/24/06. went for first fill yesterday. 10 cc band. I wasn't sure if I really needed a fill because occasionally I have pretty tight restriction, but other times I don't. So, we did a pre-fill barium swallow - doc said "wide open, time for a fill".

Dr. Spiegel put in 1.6cc. I knew before I got off the table it was too tight. Barium swallow showed esophageal dilation and NO barium going through. Unfill to 1 cc. Still felt tight. Fluoro showed same thing, big distal esophagus and pouch, no flow through stoma - and I did not drink any more barium before the fluoro-this was still left over.

Unfill to 0.6 cc. felt a little better, drank some Water, felt pain. Fluoro AGAIN showed dilation and maybe a very tiny bit of barium going through.

Now the man who has done more than 3500 bands says "wow, this is unbelievable, I 've never seen this before."

So....he unfills me completely. I immediately felt relief. Fluro shows no dilatation and barium flowing through nicely.

"Maybe you have some odd esophageal dysmotility thing!" he says. How reassuring. or "Maybe the initial 1.6 cc made you go into spasm"? that sounds better.

So.....4 sticks, no fill and here I am. If my weight loss had not been as good as it is, I would be in tears. As it is, I will see how things go for 3-4 weeks, then go get a 0.3-0.5 cc fill.

Any thought from me fellow bandsters? HUGE thanks for any and all responces.

Pam

3/24/06 down 24 pounds

Pam, so sorry your fill was as expected. I have a sensitive stomach, especially to my fills. I have a smaller band, but my last fill .2cc was too much. I went in and had that puppy taken out (.2cc).

I've only had two fills (1 removed), since banding, and have done quite well. Funny thing, I scheduled an appt. for this week and ended up canceling. I started my period and ended up tight once again!!!

This band thing takes some getting used to!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think, with fills, you have to listen to your stomach. Sometimes, we need to reevaluate what we are eating, the time of day, time of month even. Are we hungry? Are we eating solid Proteins first?

Shawn

Congratulations! You're one of the lucky few who achieve restriction from the band alone and you're weight loss is testimony to the fact that it's working for you. You might also still have a little bit of swelling as you're just about 6 weeks post-op so give the port (and you) a rest, see how it goes, and re-evaluate the need for a fill in a few weeks.

I hope you feel better.

Hi Pam,

I know your frusterated, but your attitude is great about this too. I'm unfilled, have a sensitive stomach and had restriction for a long time after surgery, so perhaps your tummy just needs more time tocalm down before a fill. I'm 2 months out and only in the past week did it even start to feel like the swelling went down enough for a fill.

Pam, sounds like you have a great attitude about it... Your body just might need more time to heal, and like you said your weightloss shows that something is working for you!

Good Luck!

Hello Pam, I had my bnd surgery 2/28/06 and I still have no fill. Yes I eat more food that 4 weeks ago but I still have restriction. Im down 26 lbs. 6 lbs in the last month. my doc is pleased with my loss. I may consider a fill in June when I see him for my next appt. Listen to your body, some days Im starving and could eat anything, other days I feel the smallest amount of food keeps me happy.

Hey Pam!

Dr Spiegel is MY surgeon as well.

As hard as it seems, try not to worry about what this could be. "Maybe you have some odd esophageal dysmotility thing!" or "Maybe the initial 1.6 cc made you go into spasm"?

Time will tell with your next fill.

And *hopefully* everything will flow smoothly.

Dont worry.

Be happy (at least for the next 3-4 weeks :) ).

Hi Everybody!

I am feeling soooooooooo frustrated! I have gained back all the weight I has lost after my surgery. I had my surgery 11 weeks ago, I lost 15 pounds during the liquid face and maintained it off during part of the solid face. The last four weeks have been extremely difficult. I had my first filling on 4/27/06, and felt no difference. Basically I can eat the same food portions as before. I know people tell me I shouldn't eat, that I NEED to change my lifestyle and that the lap-band is just a "tool". I know!!! But I am an all or nothing kind of person, it's a mind trick I have to constantly play on my self! When I had some restriction I was making better food choices, but now I am back to ground zero! I don't know what to do! I have scheduled my second fill for 5/10/06, which is short of four weeks after my first filling, but I don't know what else to do. I need to start feeling some restriction. I am wondering if this was worth it. Any adivise will be greatly appreciated. MO

Hi mdl,

If you have no restriction after the first fill and are gaining weight, why are you waiting 4 weeks inbetween fills? Since your second fill is just a few days away, stay strong and see if that produces restriction. Also, when you go for the fill, be sure and be honest with the MD about all the difficulty you're having.