Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

kids and food.......how do you limit?

I am so fortunate to have 3 beautiful kids, all of whom are not overweight. I see #2 has a carbohydrate addiction, but I have kept these kids busy, active and on a pretty good diet. Probably too many treats.

But anyway, my 11 year old has a tendency to gain a few pounds, VERY FEW. She is 5'6 1/2" and probably only 130 pounds, she carries her weight in her tummy. If she gains a couple of pounds that is where it will show up.

She has all of a sudden gotten a huge appetite and will be looking for Cereal at night. Most of the time, I tell her that if she is really hungry to go ahead. Sometimes, I will tell her to grab a fruit, and sometimes if it is late, I will tell her to go to bed because the digestive system rests at night and better not to have a lump of food in the gullet.

I don't know, I guess I'd like to hear from mom or dads of teen aged children. Tell me to lay off her, or tell me to keep an eye on her. There would be nothing more painful for me, than to see my kids end up where I have with my weight.

How would you deal with a preteen whose appetite has grown?

I would suggest she grab some Protein, which is what will curb and satisfy the appetite. Carbs of any kind will just keep the hunger going. Have her grab a piece of cheese, spoon of Peanut Butter, handful of nuts, glass of milk, slice of meat or can of tuna. If she wants fruit or Cereal, combine it with a Protein such as cereal and milk, fruit and cheese, Peanut Butter and crackers. I think it is okay to encourage healthy eating, but I would not "hound" her too much. It is easy for kids these days to be too weight conscious, which can trigger eating disorders if they get too self conscious about it.

I totally agree with your concern about them having the same weight problem as yourself. I have 3 boys who are healthy and not at all overweight, but my only daughter is becoming myself all over. It kills me to see her gain weight like me (we were both thin in HS, but had to fight to keep slender). We both started gaining after we got married. I think a lot of our problem began when we tried to be the "perfect wife" cooking 3 course meals including breads & Desserts. It was especially easy to over indulge after starving ourselves through HS. Then came the babies and the cycle continued....

Excellent advice, thanks Vicki, I will encourage the protein.......

ps, my middle child,who is a total carb seeker, like her mother :nervous asked for left over steak after school today...........I thought, hey, of course.

I'm not a parent, but as a person who was hounded as a preteen/teen about food, and put on many diets when I was young, I appreciate that you are trying to encourage your daughter to eat well, while not pressuring her. My dad went nuts on my weight, so I just bought carby stuff at school :).

When my kids were into the snacking thing at night and I "felt" that they didn't eat a good dinner (their choice) or they were just grazing...I told them they could have any fruit or veggie they wanted!! That usually curbed the appetite and gave them control.

I have very thin kids, but my 17 year old is the sweet eater. Eating is not a priority but when he is hungry he goes for "easy" foods, which almost always is junk. Because of my issues, I don't keep much junk in the house. Ice cream is mostly available as it's not one of my trigger foods. He eats a bowl every evening and that quenches his hunger/cravings.

I really tried to make eating a non-issue, but focus on healthy. I haven't been perfect but I try.

Good luck, Shawn