Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soon & scared! Advice, comfort?

Hi bandies! I am scheduled to get banded in NYC at the end of June. I have gone through all doctor appts and two sleep apnea tests, which might I add was terrible! Now that the time is coming closer to when I am having my surgery, I am becoming nervous (even had one or two dreams about it) I have sleep apnea and getting the machine soon. I hate the apnea mask, as I get restless and claustrophobic. What can I expect after surgery regarding that? I do not want to wake up from surgery w/ the mask on.. I want to be as comfortable as possible as I know I will freak out. Also, I have been reading a lot of forums that talk about gaining weight, not losing and a lot of shoulder/neck pain. I am starting to overthink and worry. I am not one to tolerate much pain. I'm starting to have second thoughts but I do know regardless of 2nd thoughts, I will go through with the surgery. Wondering if the sleeve was a better choice. I am 27, 215lbs, 5'2 in height, have pcos and sleep apnea. Oy!

Hi bandies! I am scheduled to get banded in NYC at the end of June :rolleyes: Congratulations on your DATE. I have gone through all doctor appts and two sleep apnea tests, which might I add was terrible! Now that the time is coming closer to when I am having my surgery, I am becoming nervous (even had one or two dreams about it, Nervousness is natural, It's major surgery after all :o

I have sleep apnea and getting the machine soon. I hate the apnea mask, as I get restless and claustrophobic It is possible to just use a nasal canulla for sleep apnea , but remember the mask is more efficient in getting Oxygen into the lungs to keep your Co2 stats up ;) What can I expect after surgery regarding that? I do not want to wake up from surgery w/ the mask on I don't know for sure but in most cases I don't think they will need to use a mask since they will control all the oxygen levels during surgery, and your not going to be sleeping, that being said if your levels decrease post-op they might need to use a mask while in recovery. I want to be as comfortable as possible as I know I will freak out. Also, I have been reading a lot of forums that talk about gaining weight, not losing and a lot of shoulder/neck pain. I am starting to overthink and worry Your truly going to drive yourself CRAZY if you keep reading about all the "what if's". It's great to learn about the possible complications (forewarned) BUT...the most important research is to look for all the different diets that are suggested, and the PROPER way to use your Band. Because allot of people DON'T get all the information that they NEED from their health care professionals :( I am not one to tolerate much pain.Then make sure you have Pain/nausea medication BEFORE I'm starting to have second thoughts but I do know regardless of 2nd thoughts, I will go through with the surgery. Wondering if the sleeve was a better choice Did you ask your Doctor about any other surgery? It's never too late to learn about the options. I am 27, 215lbs, 5'2 in height, have pcos and sleep apnea. Oy Good luck on your Journey

Take a deep breath! We all had some pre-surgery anxiety but are here to post about our banded lives. The neck and shoulder pain will be from gas that they pump your stomach with to get to your organs. Although the gas is uncomfortable....there are things you can do to ease the trapped gas feeling. I am sure they will go over all this at your pre-op appt. Recovery is quicker than you think. I felt worlds better after each day and pretty much 100% at Day 7. Hopefully your apnea clears up after some weight loss. I have read this a lot here on the forum with very little weight loss. Good luck!

I really appreciate the helpful responses. I am one to over think and worry but nevertheless I am motivated and eager to change my life so regardless of anything I know I will do it. You are right, all natural worries! Everyone is different and if I worry myself, it'll only do more harm. Love this app! Again, thank you! Will keep updates and sure will have lots of questions to ask! :)

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I am with you! Also will be getting banded this summer in NYC and very nervous! I just have to keep telling myself that if I follow the rules I will be successful.

You're going to be just fine!! I have bipolar disorder and severe anxiety, so I was a mess before surgery. They were even giving me drugs to calm my nerves before I got wheeled back... Lol. You're going to do great! Just breathe! :) :)

I was just banded on May 1st. I have anxiety and panic attacks and was very thinking about the surgery. I also have sleep apnea. On the day of surgery surprisingly I was real calm until right before surgery, but they gave me something to calm my nerves before I went in for surgery. When I got into the operating room I was so relaxed and then the anesthesiologist said I'm going to put you to sleep now and I was out within a few seconds. I don't remember being woken up in the recovery room, but I know they do that. I just remember waking up in my room still out of it and very sleepy. I did have oxygen on, but it was just the two little pieces that go in your nose. They will not put a big sleep apnea mask on you, because they do not air getting into your stomach. The surgery really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Good Luck and Congrats on your surgery!!!