Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MyFitnessPal Calories vs. Net Calories?

Hey folks,

I've got a question for you. I know everyone is different, but I'm just wondering for you, how many calories a day do you eat? I'm 5'9" and 255 lbs. I started working out about a month ago, doing cardio. I've added weights in the past couple of weeks. I'm currently working out about 4x a week, and building up to 5x.

Now, MFP suggests that I eat a net of around 1400 calories a day after excercise to lose 2lbs a week, but that seems higher than what most WLS patients are encouraged to eat. I've been eating about 1300 calories a day, and not eating the calories I burn through excercise, and I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by not eating more. Is it slowing my weight loss? I'm currently losing about 1-1.5 lbs a week, but it seems like I should be seeing better results than that.

I'm just wondering, for you, do you eat the calories you burn through excercise? If so, do you find you lose better if and when you do?

Again, I know everyone is different, I'm just looking for some feedback. :)

Thanks!

Stephanie

p.s. I'm also looking for more friends on MFP, so feel free to add me. My username is JustSing

If any of you use fitbit, feel free to add me as a friend there as well @ http://www.fitbit.com/user/25YKDP

Hey folks' date='

I've got a question for you. I know everyone is different, but I'm just wondering for you, how many calories a day do you eat? I'm 5'9" and 255 lbs. I started working out about a month ago, doing cardio. I've added weights in the past couple of weeks. I'm currently working out about 4x a week, and building up to 5x.

Now, MFP suggests that I eat a net of around 1400 calories a day after excercise to lose 2lbs a week, but that seems higher than what most WLS patients are encouraged to eat. I've been eating about 1300 calories a day, and not eating the calories I burn through excercise, and I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot by not eating more. Is it slowing my weight loss? I'm currently losing about 1-1.5 lbs a week, but it seems like I should be seeing better results than that.

I'm just wondering, for you, do you eat the calories you burn through excercise? If so, do you find you lose better if and when you do?

Again, I know everyone is different, I'm just looking for some feedback. :)

Thanks!

Stephanie

p.s. I'm also looking for more friends on MFP, so feel free to add me. My username is JustSing

If any of you use fitbit, feel free to add me as a friend there as well @ http://www.fitbit.com/user/25YKDP

My doctor recommends 800-1200

mine does also but we didn't talk about exersing like u do call them.

My nutritionist and also the PA at my band office said it's a bad idea to go under 1200 calories, but I don't know if they're taking calories burned through excercise into account.

From what I understand, going under 1200 calories can cause the body to go into starvation mode and hold on to calories, but I've heard other people say they've been given guidelines from their doc ranging from 600-1200 calories a day.

According to a BMR calculator on the web, you have a BMR of about 2300, that is the amount of calories per day that it takes to sustain your weight, apart from exercise. A pound of fat is around 3500 calories, so if you eat 1300 calories a day, you will lose roughly 2 pounds a week.

Eat more lose less,

eat less you will lose more,

eat the same and exercise more, you will lose more

eat more and exercise more, you will lose the same.

This is an extremely simplistic, but mostly accurate view of weight loss. Of course it doesn't take into account the stinking plateau that I have been on for the last month and a half :lol: