Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!

I am so glad I found this place. It seems pretty difficult to find banding info across the Net. Everything I find seems to be mostly about gastric bypass.

Anyway I finally decided on a doctor myself, here near the Seattle area. I am going with The Wish Center in Renton, Wa. and surgery will probably be in July sometime. They have a lot of requirements and make you jump through hoops to get the surgery, even self-paid.

I know most, if not all of us, have some co-morbidities. I have several, including diabetes II, hypertension and worst of all, kidney failure. I am not on dialysis *yet*. I am too obese for a biopsy so they are treating me with diuretics to keep the Water weight off and hoping weight reduction might stabilize my kidney loss.

It's a complex situation but I was hospitalized last summer and they took 128 lb of Water off me in 2 weeks. I retain A LOT at an given time. Right now I probably have about 50 lb of water. It's hard to tell where the fat stops and the water begins. lol

Anyway, I'm on Fluid restriction daily, 2 Liters a day. I'm concerned about the liquid diet in the initial phase of banding, and my doctors are a little concerned about the saline IV during surgery even.

Anyone have a condition similar to mine that has been banded?

I am hoping the ends will justify the means. If my kidneys worsen a bit because of the surgery and liquid diet, the weight loss will stabilize them before they fail completely. It's all a crapshoot.

Anyway I'm glad you have a place like this, I think I'm going to need a lot of support in the future!

Thanks!

Tina

Hi Tina!

:welcomeB: :welcomeB: :welcomeB: :welcomeB:

you found the right place- welcome! The people here on this board have a wealth of knowledge and can help you with a lot of questions. Glad you are here!

Tina,

You are so young to be going through so much!! I'm sure if your surgeon works w/ your primary and nephrologist they can calculate what to give you in saline during the surgery! You will have to be watched VERY closely post-op as well....for imbalances, etc. Ultimately they are right the wt loss would help...it would help us all!! :eekB: You are definitely a "case" that will put them to the test in each phase!! I wasn't even able to drink 2 cups each day the first few days....just not up for it....but others have hunger and thirst quickly!! They will have to calculate and be so specific w/ you....but caring surgeons and doctors will put forth the effort and help you I"m sure!!!

Will be praying for you!!!

GOd Bless,

Melody

Banded 3/20/06 -37lbs :)

Welcome, Tina. The surgery lasts an average of 1.5 hours. In your case, it would be wise for the surgeon to consult with your doctors to determine the best intra-operative and post-operative treatment plan for you. I have a friend who had type II diabetes and sleep apnea. He had the surgery last July, is down 100 pounds+ and did not need any diabetic medications 4 months from the date of the surgery.

Heya Tina !!! Welcome... You came to the right place this site has great info... good luck

I really appreciate the encouraging words. I feel like I might be surrounded by people who finally get what I'm going through. It's been difficult to explain anything to my family and friends.

I actually had a "friend" say to me the other day that she didn't want me to take offense, but that I should be able to lose weight without surgery, and be a size 4 like her, if I wasn't lazy.

Like Dr. Phil says, lets operate in the real world here. The reality is, I haven't lost weight and banding gives me the best and safest chance to get it done.

Nice to meet you all!

Tina