Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm single and new in the dating scene. I'm afraid to go on a date to a restaurant and run into an awkward moment when the menu isn't band friendly. Has any one been to any restaurant that have a menu with small portion? Any ideas where I can go where my date would order what she wants and I don't have to worry about them not having a good menu?

Thnks - Rick

Look up menus of local resturants online. This is what I do before the hubs and I go out to eat. If you are worried about a stuck episode while on a date- remember eat SLOW. Order things like fish, chicken salad. Normally as long as I eat slow and order a softer item I don't have any problems. However, for some reason, even though I love them, potatos seems to get stuck for me.

Ruby Tuesday has a good menu for band patients. Fish is on the menu and so is spagetti squash. Most every place has something and if it doesn't order something like Soup and say you aren't really hungery.

Maybe you could make something at home and have them over to your house or go out for a picnic, a woman loves a man that can cook or vice versa. Or maybe you can do something that does not involve dinner until they get to know you better. Just a thought. Good luck.

I always check menus out online ahead of time, so that's a good place to start. Fish is always pretty easy for me to get down, and I avoid things that could be problematic.

I also agree with maybe trying something other than a restaurant for a first date. Maybe it's just me, but I always feel like I'm on an interview sitting there like a trapped rat.

Not that I've been on a date in like 5000 years. :o

So I'm single and new in the dating scene. I'm afraid to go on a date to a restaurant and run into an awkward moment when the menu isn't band friendly. Has any one been to any restaurant that have a menu with small portion? Any ideas where I can go where my date would order what she wants and I don't have to worry about them not having a good menu?

Thnks - Rick

i dont eat out much but when we go out my hub does not eat band friendly but there are

options......appetizers, salads, Soups etc.....you can even ask them to bring half and box the others...

my friend jeannie came to visit me and we went out

and i thought the same thing.....wonder what will i eat...and fretted...so i ordered and stopped overthinking....in my eyes, just because the meal was (huge compared to what i prepare myself) did not mean i had to eat it all......i ate my portions and took rest home for hub..

ps, jeannie didnt eat all hers either as she is now sleeved..we thunk the same way

I'm no longer dating as I'm now in a committed relationship, however I was single when I was originally banded 16 months ago and had to deal with this exact scenario.

I found sticking to foods that I know are "safe" was key. Soup is a slider food for me so I know ordering soup is always a safe bet when eating out. Fish always goes down really well, too. Some people do have issue with salads and raw veggies however I never have an issue with them so sometimes I'll order salad.

The trick isn't so much where you eat- you can find something pretty much anywhere- the trick is figuring out what are "safe" foods for you and sticking to them.

Looking at the menu online before you go is a great idea too. I used to do this a lot, it kept me from feeling pressured and rushed trying to figure out what to eat when I got there.

Happy dating! :D

When I was single and a date was at a restaurant, I would order the Soup or something similarly slidey, and then say I had a late lunch so wasn't very hungry. Problem solved.

If you're engaging enough she won't even notice that you're not eating much!

I think the suggestions above are great ones - Soup, checking menu ahead of time, etc. Another suggestion, sometimes for me, I would order from the side items menu so I could order individual/small portions of something. Lastly, it is expected that people may be nervous, etc. on a first date and often wouldn't eat much so I doubt it would get noticed if you weren't eating much, slow, etc. Just try to remember to eat slow if you are nervous so you don't have any issues with what you do eat. It's easy to get caught up in the moment and forget. :) Enjoy!

Also, years back I was doing the online dating thing. I would recommend (if you are doing that) to meet for coffee the first time. I met many "duds" even after talking to them online and thinking they were someone I would like to get to know... By meeting for coffee you can stay or leave much easier and don't have to invest all that time if it isn't going well. I spent many dinners waiting for them to be OVER as people were much different in person a lot of times.