Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Infected port removed finally, but pain in stomach is bad :(

After two months of living with an infected port I finally found a doctor who would help me . I live in Canada. It was very hard to find a doctor to take me on.

I had my infected port removed on Tuesday. Luckily the infection has not spread beyond my port , and he was able to leave my tubing and band in. He used steri strips , no staples or stiches , and the plan is to replace the port in 4-6 weeks of IV antibiotics..my tubing is loose inside me.

Although the incision is large and bleeding a lot, it is not very painful. Most of the pain is coming from my stomach. Is this normal?

I had an X-ray and they said everything looks fine.

I had my band 12 years.

Maybe it is cramping or gas from the surgery?

It is really painful!

I am just so thankful I could keep my band.

I am up 10 pounds already ..is this from the surgery?

Has this happened to anyone before?

Eve

Sounds like you need to call the Dr., and check this out with them. It does not sound good. Good luck.

HI Eve

I'm curious, seeing as your port was infected for 2 months how can they be sure that nothing else is wrong? You mentioned and X-ray, but that doesn't show underneath the band where it's normally sutured. Did they do endoscopy, or Gastroscopy? It worries me that your port has been removed but your still experiencing pain in the abdomen/stomach. :unsure:

It is normal for them to remove the port and just tie off the tubing (standard protocol) to allow healing.

Were you experiencing any loss of restriction prior ?

A good person to talk to would be lellow

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/user/242962-lellow/

above is the direct link to her profile she has had numerous problems with port infection, leakage, etc. But has been successful with her band even with the problems.

GOOD LUCK and please keep us posted ~~

Thank you for the link..I will contact her.

No, they only did an X-ray . I never lost any restriction, so my doctor felt the infection was still contained at my port. They did a CT and it showed that the infection was only at the port, they said.

With the surgery wait time, I have been on a PICC line IV antibiotic now for a couple weeks. I think it gave my body a head Start to heal. I give this to myself Dailey . My doc figures for another 6-8 weeks.

My stomach pain is like a cramping. And I now notice it is worse when I eat.

I see my doctor next week.

My incision is still weeping, but I am thrilled to keep my band.

12 years in and pretty much at my goal, the emotions I am feeling right now are strange.

I just want things back to " normal"

And pain free would be nice ;)

Devotedlilly how have things been going for you? good I hope!!!