Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can eat 2 weeks post op

I am able to eat normal food (chewing alot) and its only been 2weeks since i had my surgery. I have a 7cc band and i feel terribly guilty and scared about being able to eat normal food. Has anyone else had the same experience? Im scared something has gone wrong with the band. Would it have slipped?

Did your doctor give you clearance to eat normal/solid food? You can damage your band placement if you don't follow your doctors orders. Yes, it could slip if you aren't following your doctors orders.

And yes, of course most of us could eat solid food but we didn't because our doctor ordered us not to because the stomach is still healing from surgery. The band opening is open wide in the beginning before fills so you don't eat something solid causing it to get stuck which in turn can cause the band to tear away from the stomach or slip.

tmf

There's a popular saying around here- just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should.

Unless your doctor specifically gave you permission to eat normal food this early, you are putting yourself at very real risk for band slips and serious complications. If this is the case then you need to go back to your post op diet and immediately and tell your doctor exactly what you've you done so he can make sure you're ok.

I agree with the above, but with that said, all surgeons are different including mine. Mine allowed me to be on all liquids for 5 days, then mushies for 5 days then soft foods for a 2 weeks after surgery, of course after being on here for a while prior to surgery and reading I didn't want to mess things up so I followed what everyone else did, all liquids for a couple of weeks then moved to mushies and eased myself into things. Maybe that is why I have had such a problem with stuck episodes early on because I didn't learn how to eat properly, and boy have I had my share. Take it easy on ur band, ur still healing.

i cant add anything else the others posted..but i will add this...get off feeling guilty because you ate food. food is not the enemy..overeating the wrong types of food for our bodies is what is bad...so when your dr okay's you to move to reg foods, choose lean proteins/fresh veggies and fruit......food is meant to be enjoyed...embrace it....nothing to feel guilty about in my eyes.

and if you are ever scared, call and ask your doctor

let them ease your mind...i am 11 months post op and i call them (alot) :wub:

As long as you are following your doctors orders I don't see a problem. I was only on liquids ghe day of surgery. 24 hours after surgery I was allowed purée foods, 14 days after I'm allowed soft foods. Sure it seems fast when compared to some others on here's doctors, but I'm following his post-op diet not theirs. I trusted the man to cut me open and place an object inside of me, I'll trust his post-op diet too. It sounds like you are following his orders but nervous it's too fast. Understandable. Even though I was only required to be on liquids 24 hours, it ended up being about 72 hours because I had no appetite. But, Monday (14 days post op), I'm going to be eating soft foods regardless of what other people's doc's say Lol.slowly, Small bites, chewing like a madman, in correct portions of course. Good luck!!!!!

Sorry, I reread your post. I was assuming you were following your doc's orders. That isn't clear in your post. If you aren't then you need to call them immediately and follow YOUR doctors postop plan. I'm 11 days post-op I feel like I could eat anything in the world, but I wouldn't, because my doc doesn't recommend it. Good luck!!!

Thanks everyone. My doctor didnt tell me anything. But the dietician told me fluids only for 2 weeks than puree after that. İ just figured i can puree soft food in my mouth :). As you all said, its not worth the risk. I think ill be going back on puree after today. Thanks again for all the responses.