Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Complications

I'm so sorry to hear of what you're going through. As Sarah said, I would think they could code it differently so that insurance would pay. It's ridiculous that they aren't anyway, but they can make us jump through all kinds of hoops. If 4 docs have said it's medically necessary, I don't see how they can deny it, but I'm with leenerbups, appeal to whomever you have to including the insurance commissioner or board. Please keep us updated, and I wish you the best possible outcome to all of this.

Emily

Sorry about things. Thanks for sharing. I sent you a message that you can ignore as you answered my question in the forum. Thanks. Nancy

Is it possible you had slippage AND erosion

Leatha, Ive often wondered if a person could experience BOTH problems at the same time.

DeeDee, my heart and prayers are with you.

Fortunately, you still have your life. ((hugs))

dee dee

my heart is with you at this time in your life . i hope you get this prob. settled and like yesterday as this is a major set back to the banster community , along with your terrible trials

your surgeon that performed this procedure should be doing something for you even if he has to do bypass to correct this .

at what place were you banded ? so we know to maybe stay clear of there .

I had the banding done in Scottsbluff, Nebraska at the Regional West Medical Center. It is not due to slippage that the erosion happened. This was just a 1 in a million flook! Thanks for your concern, it really is appreciated!

I agree with cobourg, do to what happened to you, your stomach, your quality of life and the fact that insurance won't cover it, the surgeon should do it for you anyway. Sometimes it shouldn't be about the money.

In any case you might have a lawsuit against the band manufactuer and there is no question that you should appeal to your state's insurance board.

Check this link out.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=17617

The doctors may need to code it different, instead of RYN procedure, code under parital gastrectomy. If they happen to re-route a few other things while they are in there ....so be it. They should be able to recoupe most the cost.

Thanks for the suggestions. I see my surgeon on May 17th and also a Gastroenderologist, so I will see where this takes me. At this point I am not very optimistic, just sick and tired of being sick and tired. But, all your words of encouragement help so much. Thanks, Dee Dee

I should have the band by mid-summer - but the more I read - I just don't know. I wish that there were some real staticts out there on banded people. Something that shows the percentages of positive results - happy banded people - amount of pain each experiences on a daily or weekly basis - amount of change in lifestyle - real number of serious problems like this one....anyone know of such a place/web-site/report?

There is a web site, it is www.obesityhelp.com. They have tons of information as well as a chat room, where you can chat with others that have had the band with excellant success. Some have just had it done, others are several years or more out. I have found a lot of information and support there as well as here! And even with the problems I had with it, I would still recommend it. What happened to me is a 1 in a million flook. Good Luck, Dee Dee

I should have the band by mid-summer - but the more I read - I just don't know. I wish that there were some real staticts out there on banded people. Something that shows the percentages of positive results - happy banded people - amount of pain each experiences on a daily or weekly basis - amount of change in lifestyle - real number of serious problems like this one....anyone know of such a place/web-site/report?

There is no such current information and it would be subjective anyway...because some people faint from the pain of a flu shot and others can endure horrific trauma.

Generally speaking, if you consider the results shared by the overall group of people who have had the band, you can expect to lose around 62% of your excess weight. What that REALLY means is that some people lose ALL of their excess weight

and some lose NONE of their excess weight. And most people lose in between.

Also, there are "happy banded people" who are morbidly obese. I know of someone who weighed close to 400 pounds who is DELIGHTED with the band even though she still weighs in excess of 250 and is still MO. But, no matter how much she has lost, all the obesity-related stuff that was killing her before her band is still doing its thing...maybe just slower...and in spite of HER happiness, she would be considered a failure by many because she is still MO. Others would say that because she has lost half of her excess weight, she is a success. Go figure.

Learn about all the options and pick the one that is best for YOU!

i am thinking about surgery but unsure do you still recommend it after what u r going through?

Is this for me?

I don't recommend ANY surgery for anyone else!

I had the band and developed complications. The majority of people do NOT have that problem. So that's a plus...for most people. And the surgery itself is safer and the recovery is a piece of cake for most people.

But I hated the eating restrictions--many of which were undoubtedly caused by my complications--and I felt "deprived" or like I was "missing out on something." (Well, I was...I was missing out on chewing and eating stuff like salads.) I knew I'd have those issues with the RnY eating restrictions, too. I'm MORE delighted with the surgery I just had...the DS. But it is HUGE step and it isn't for everyone.

You can't have the RnY or DS and then go back and only get the band...because you are already rearranged. You can do it the other way.

Just study ALL of the offerings. Be brutally honest with yourself. When you read about problems that DS or RnY or banded people are having, do you pretend that those could never happen to you? Are you harboring the notion that you will lose 100% of your excess weight, keep it off with no problem, never have issues getting the right amount of saline in the band, be able to eat exactly what you eat now but in smaller quantities? If so, you may be disappointed with the band. But if you have a realistic view of what to expect INCLUDING KNOWING THAT IT DOESN'T WORK FOR EVERYONE AND IT IS NOT "ALWAYS ADJUSTABLE," AND THAT SOMETIMES, REAL WISDOM IS KNOWING WHEN TO CUT YOUR LOSSES AND MOVE ON, then you're off to a good start.