Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I doing something wrong?

My doc is new at the lap band thing, but I trust him completely. I was sent home after my surgery and was told that I could be on mushies the next day, and I found that it isn't that way with everyone. Then I found out that every doctor does it differently and that I was ok.

I got a fill on thursday and he told me liquids till dinner time and then I could eat just to make sure I followed the rules for eating carefully. I questioned the liquids for 2 days, exc... He says that he is following the Inamed guidelines and that doing that isn't necessary, but my friend who was banded the same day in Florida says that he isn't. Should I be concerned? I am doing what my doc says to do, and I know that there are different ways, but I am so confussed.

all docs are different in the way they do these things

i would follow his instructions and if you dont feel happy then maybe get a second opinion

if hes following the inamed guidelines then that should be a good thing

i wouldnt be concerned....but if you dont feel right get a second opinion

Goodluck

All I can say is follow what your Dr. says.. he is a Lap Band Dr. for a reason and I am sure He knows what he is doing in what he tells you. and if you have faith in him then thats all you need.. until then well follow what he says.... Take Care

You know what? Even Inamed changes its guidelines from time to time. So if your doctor or someone else's doctor isn't up on whatever the very latest recommendation is, that could account for the variations. I know my doctors have changed their post-op protocol pretty dramatically since I was banded 2.5 years ago.

The bottom line, is TAKE IT SLOWLY. Everyone reacts to surgery and adjusments differently, and the post-fill protocol is designed to allow any swelling to resolve before you introduce food again. Any given patient may not HAVE any swelling, so for that person it may be a moot point, but the recommendation is there because many people DO swell and solid food getting stuck will just make it worse. That can lead to an unpleasant situation and possibly an emergency unfill. Maybe your friend's doctor has had too many patients with that situation arise, so now he's being more cautious with his advice.

It can't hurt to do liquids for one day if you feel uneasy about starting food so soon. Like Alex said, go slow and you'll be able to tell. Everyone reacts different to fills.

My doctor has me on liquids from Friday - Monday, to me, thats to long, but I have a sneaky suspicion that he just doesn't want any emergency calls to ruin his weekend LOLOL. I normally go one day on liquids and by Saturday night I'm having thicker liquids and Sunday I'm eating mushy food.< /p>

Be careful :eekB:

My doctor only has me do liquids the remainder of the day of the fill. He stresses for me to go back on solids the next day. I would just follow your doctors orders!

My doctor only has me do liquids the remainder of the day of the fill. He stresses for me to go back on solids the next day. I would just follow your doctors orders!

Sounds like your doc and mine are thinking the same. I don't think I swelled because solids went down just fine, but I think my fill kicked in finally!!!! I am feeling restriction and I am so excited! I appreciate everyone's responses because I do trust him and I did question him based on what I have learned online. He just told me that he is following Inamed's guidelines, so I trust him completely, like someone said, he is the doc for a reason. I was just a little upset when my friend said, "No hes not!" Her doc is more experienced, but like someone else said things are always changing.

Thanks again