Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aloe Vera Juice - The Best Me

TheBestMe - I've seen you're post on Aloe Vera juice and know somewhere you posted that users have been Private Messaging you about it....

I thought maybe you could post some information here about it... like how much you take per day and what brand you like?

I bought some from GNC and it's Wild berry.. it doesn't taste too bad at all. I'm taking about a tablespoon per day but wasn't sure that was enough. The bottle says a serving is 8 oz...

Thanks in advance for the info...

Cashley, I'm here but I keep losing this thread and get distracted and now, it's bedtime again! Up that to about 3-4 ounces at bedtime and you'll be golden. I'll post a more comprehensive opinion tomorrow. but for now, I have bumped this and will be able to post in the morning. Night all!

Guess I'll bump this again b/c I have a question.....:eekB:

R U taking the aloe vera juice on a daily basis b/c of a problem or is it good to take it as a preventive measure?

Maybe TBM can gives us a comprehensive report on the do's and don't's of aloe vera juice and I will forward it to the dietitians at St. Vincent's b/c apparently they are missing the boat on this beautiful liquid called aloe vera juice!! :)

Thanks for the bump, 3loves!

Okay, I'm not a doc, nurse, dietician, anything medical. I'm a bandster and Kelly(Dylansmom) mentioned AloeVera juice one day because she sells Watkins products and they have an aloe vera juice. So I looked into it and have been drinking it ever since. Paula also spoke with a health food store person who said "it isn't how much you drink, it's how regularly you drink it" which is advice I have heeded over the last year. So, I'm just a bandster who likes and uses aloe vera juice and I think it's a great bandster product because it's soothing and healing.

For post-op swelling, I'd say drink it by the ounce 3 times a day. If you can drink 3-4 ounces in 10 minutes, you probably aren't very swollen and can back off a bit.

For PB recoveries, reflux, burning esophogus, or any bandster problems, drink 2-4 ounces 2-3 times a day, or just drink 3-4 ounces a bedtime (or after you are done eating/drinking for the day) for a few nights to soothe and heal.

Any time I have any throat or band issues, I'll drink it at bedtime for a few nights. Then I won't have any for weeks. So it isn't something I drink every day. I use it to treat, not prevent.

However, it is good bandster practice to rinse out your pouch at bedtime, just to make sure all the food is gone. Aloe Vera juice is perfect for that, IMO.

I buy mine a Wal-Mart. It's by fruit of the Earth. It comes in a smaller quart container with berry flavoring, which I'll bet is good. I get the unflavored in the gallon and keep it in the fridge in the garage. I take my little glass out there at bedtime and pour me a shot...yummmmm (haha) It's an acquired taste. Not great, but drinkable and beneficial.

And be sure to refigerate after opening. In case you didn't catch that. Plus, it's better cold. :eekB:

That's it. That's what I do and what I would recommend. I won't ever be without aloe vera juice. Your mileage may vary!

Thanks Cashley. I haven't cleared out my PM box and I ought to go and check to see just how many PMs I have about aloe vera and egg drop Soup. LOL Many many, to be sure!

Happy aloe vera drinking, everyone!

Thanks for the reply.. I was only taking a tablespoon which I realize now isn't enough. I'm switching to a shot glass. The berry flavor isn't too weird and I could almost drink it like a beverage (cept it's kind of expensive to be drinking glasses of it).

I have just a bit of acid and it seems to be soothing and helps.

Thank you....thank you.....thank you!! This is going on the hard drive.

:)

I have a feeling I'm going to be an aloe vera junkie too!! It's a great tool for the tool. :)

Yes, it helped me with acid trouble. At about 8+ weeks post-op with no fill, I was having a burning throat, thought it might be esophogitis related to reflux...seems like it was and once I started drinking the aloe vera juice it improved lots. Cool, ladies! It's a great find. It's cheaper by the gallon but it doesn't come flavored by the gallon, so I suck it up and go cheap. OH! I should add to refrigerate after opening. It says so on the bottle but it's always good to remind folks. I'll add that to the post above.

How long is the bottle good after you refridgerate Kathy? I have had mine since Jan I think and then I have aloa Vera Gel too ~ What can I use the Gel for? Do you think he juice is ok to give to my 8yr old?

Aloe Vera gel is great to rub on burns, esp. sunburns. You can also use the good quality ones as moisturizers. It can also be used for just about any skin disorder - psoriasis, eczema, acne, etc., with varying degrees of success. Dried aloe vera (ok, technically very specific parts of the plant) are used as laxatives, too. When I was a kid mom always had an aloe vera plant in the house and one outside. Anytime we had a cut, burn, scrape, etc. that was the first thing she'd tell us to go get.

Aloe gel is fantastic for sunburn or any burns, for that matter. It takes the heat out very quickly and stops it from getting worse. I always kept it in the fridge when my kids were little and played outside a lot...it felt so good to them when they got sunburned.

I'll have to get some juice and try it before bed.

Emily

We used to put cloths soaked in aloe juice on our burns. It felt good and bad at the same time since it 'matured' the burn. On the bright side, the healing would happen much sooner.

I keep aloe gel in the fridge all the time for various reasons.

I do have the Gel in the Fridge ~ but have really not needed to use it. Did not know if it was for drinking.. LOL

How long is the bottle good after you refridgerate Kathy? I have had mine since Jan I think and then I have aloa Vera Gel too ~ What can I use the Gel for? Do you think he juice is ok to give to my 8yr old?

Don't drink the gel...it's topical, or were you joking and I missed it? The gel is great for anything on the skin. I'd give my 3yo the juice if he'd drink it! LOL As for how long it lasts...I'm not sure. I looked for something on the bottle that said how long after opening?...nothing. So I figure I'm on my 4th gallon since July? That's about 2 1/2 months per gallon? Who knows, but I haven't thrown any of it out! Anyone else know?

We always had an aloe vera plant growing up. Cuts, scrapes, burns, sunburns...anything and everything got aloe vera plant gel on it. Then they started bottling it for sunburns which was super handy. I have an aloe vera plant in my own home now.

Actually Kathy I was not joking LOL on me. I some one would have said take a sip, I might have just done that.. I bought it when the other end of me was acting up and since then I just have it in the fridge along with the juice..

Thanks for all the advice now I know..

Hmmmm I wonder if I drink some Aloe Vera juice if it would help me... I know my hole is on the outside.. but it could help me on the inside... Oh heack I dont know what I am saying..... but I want some too.... hehehe