Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Monday... Protruding Pain??

Hey all,

I was banded Monday and have been doing pretty well (have lost 11.1 lbs since surgery) and have been taking LORTAB every 4-6 hours apart from when I'm sleeping... have been walking too.

Last time I took the meds was 7:10 AM and have been fine until now (10 PM) and there is a severe pain feeling on my right side of my belly... I took the LORTAB 20 min ago but it still really, really hurts. Feels as if something is pushing forward and it's very painful!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

-Mark

i was banded tuesday. Believe that's the port or actual band. When I lay down I feel the same "pushing forward" feeling. Feels like there's a ball/ bubble.

Btw, what's lortab ?

Ow, ow, ow... hurts SO much and I'm getting worried :(

i was banded tuesday. Believe that's the port or actual band. When I lay down I feel the same "pushing forward" feeling. Feels like there's a ball/ bubble.

Btw, what's lortab ?

I'm not lying down at all, even when I sleep I'm sitting relatively upright.

Haha. You don't need to sit to sleep. I spoke to my surgeon. The more movement the better. The body needs to get used to getting up and laying back down. My first night home I was in and out of the bed ALL NIGHT, every 15 minutes. No sleep. I needed help out of the bed but I was definitely up and down.

It's like exercising the tummy. My pain is actually gone. And I'm only on day 3. Now all I have is discomfort. The feeling is ok. Remember, you DO have a foreign object in there.

I am having surgery on Thursday next week and reading all of the forums are making me really nervous about the pain level. On a scale of 1- 10 , 10 being you are crying because it hurts so bad, and 1 being you are uncomfortable ...which is it ? I didn't think this surgery would be a huge deal I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I want a honest perspective.

I am having surgery on Thursday next week and reading all of the forums are making me really nervous about the pain level. On a scale of 1- 10 , 10 being you are crying because it hurts so bad, and 1 being you are uncomfortable ...which is it ? I didn't think this surgery would be a huge deal I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I want a honest perspective.

NO do it! I don't regret it at all. I haven't felt real pain until now! I would say a 7 but I'm trying to be calm as my nurse calls my doctor.

I can only speak for myself, but I thought the Lap Band surgery was a breeze. I was at maybe a pain level 5 the first day but I didn't even need pain meds after I got out of the hospital.

This is in comparison to many abdominal surgeries, including hernia repair, a c-section, gallbladder removal, and currently tummy tuck/skin removal. The Lap Band surgery was like stubbing my toe compared to the rest. No biggie whatsoever.

Hey all' date='

I was banded Monday and have been doing pretty well (have lost 11.1 lbs since surgery) and have been taking LORTAB every 4-6 hours apart from when I'm sleeping... have been walking too.

Last time I took the meds was 7:10 AM and have been fine until now (10 PM) and there is a severe pain feeling on my right side of my belly... I took the LORTAB 20 min ago but it still really, really hurts. Feels as if something is pushing forward and it's very painful!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

-Mark[/quote']

Every person is so different it's crazy. I feel for you that you are in this much painZ If it is that severe I recommend calling your doctor, not sure if your doc does but mine has a nurse on call 24/7. Is today the first day that you haven't taken lortab? My last dose was 1 dose on Wednesday morning. I took 1 dose of Tylenol yesterday and nothing at all today! I feel bad that your pain is still this severe. Call your doc or if you really feel something major could be wrong go to the hospital. The worst pain that I have had is the occasional gas pain and my port site when getting up or down. Today that has been very minimal, on a scale of 1-10 I'd say 2. Just very tender (to be expected).

I am having surgery on Thursday next week and reading all of the forums are making me really nervous about the pain level. On a scale of 1- 10 ' date=' 10 being you are crying because it hurts so bad, and 1 being you are uncomfortable ...which is it ? I didn't think this surgery would be a huge deal I have a pretty high pain tolerance, but I want a honest perspective.[/quote']

Don't base having surgery on one persons experience,. It's unfortunate that she is going through this pain and I really hope that her doctor will help her. But, to give perspective we had surgery on the same day. I'm sitting on my couch with zero discomfort eating a SF Popsicle while watching the Bulls/Heat game. I spent about 2 hours at the mall today with my family and had no problems. I haven't had a pain medicine stronger than Tylenol since Wednesday. Heck I've only had 1 dose of Tylenol since Wednesday. The only pain that I've had tonight besides the pesky gas pain was when I started laughing really hard at my son my port site hurt a little. I'm still very tender, but as far as pain goes gas pain is all I get and it's occasional. Don't make a rash decision based on a couple people's experiences. Good luck!!!

@Creekwood I'm a guy , haha. :)

The pain is going away slowly; the doctor told my nurse just now that this is pretty normal and not to worry. Otherwise I feel completely fine!

And Creekwood is right - for instance, a lot of people have nausea or issues swallowing or gas pain in shoulders - I've had none of that

@Creekwood I'm a guy ' date=' haha. :)

The pain is going away slowly; the doctor told my nurse just now that this is pretty normal and not to worry. Otherwise I feel completely fine![/quote']

My bad lol I'm a little tired

Don't base having surgery on one persons experience' date='. It's unfortunate that she is going through this pain and I really hope that her doctor will help her. But, to give perspective we had surgery on the same day. I'm sitting on my couch with zero discomfort eating a SF Popsicle while watching the Bulls/Heat game. I spent about 2 hours at the mall today with my family and had no problems. I haven't had a pain medicine stronger than Tylenol since Wednesday. Heck I've only had 1 dose of Tylenol since Wednesday. The only pain that I've had tonight besides the pesky gas pain was when I started laughing really hard at my son my port site hurt a little. I'm still very tender, but as far as pain goes gas pain is all I get and it's occasional. Don't make a rash decision based on a couple people's experiences. Good luck!!![/quote']

Totally agree! I only took a pain killer the first night. I laughed today and the port hurt a tad bit. The only discomfort really is the gas. The first night is at about Spain level of 6/7 for me. I only got banded Tuesday afternoon. I feel great.

I was banded on Monday and my post op experience is probably somewhere in the middle of good and horrible. The abdominal pain the first few days was probably a level 6/7, but only when I moved around. Gas pain in shoulder is a level 8, but a heating pad really works quickly (for me). I think I over did it today cleaning the litter boxes. I felt a sharp pain, probably a 10, near my biggest incision. It finally subsided. Hopefully I didn't pull an inside stitch. I've been following a lot of recent banders and we are all experiencing recovery differently. Don't let what you read scare you. I think being fully informed of all that could happen is the best thing for you right now. And BTW, I don't regret having the surgery even with the pain. Every day gets better. Good luck!!