Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, I got my lap band in 2006 and I just recently started having trouble with my IBS...my gastro dr. has done a colonoscopy, endoscope with bravo. The endo showed my lap band had slipped up toward my esphogaus (5cm) it's suppose to be at 10cm.....so I go to the dr who put the lapband on with gastro drs report in hand and he say's "gastro dr doesn't know what he is looking at"...so lapband dr removes saline and guess what the nausea stopped....i told him i wanted it removed.... now he wants to do an upper GI and another endoscope. this is getting tiresome....i'm lost i don't know what to do....gastro says its lapband....lapband dr says its not...all i know is i can't leave my house because i have uncontrollable IBS that the gastro dr thinks is somewhat being caused by the band....has anyone else had any problems with their band slidding up?

Also called my insurance and they say they won't pay to have the lapband removed...GREAT!

A gastro doctor isn't going to know or understand the Lap Band. That would be like having an eye doctor try to diagnose a hearing problem. Totally different specialties and knowledge base.

If I were in your shoes, I'd find another bariatric surgeon for a second opinion. Tell them the conflicting information you're getting and see what their opinion is.

I would go with the lapband doctor because he was the one who placed it,but you still could have been slipped!((((hugs))))hope you can get some answers!Karen

Personally I would see another gastro doc

As mis73 has stated, he likely doesn't understand the band

Ok, my bariatric dr did an endoscope on me today along with another upper GI and I do have lapband slippage and a hiatal hernia.....he wants to do surgery to fix the hernia and the band...he has suggested that I also have the iLap done....it is a new procedure that he has been doing for over a year....i'm just not sure...he tells me if I have the lapband removed that I will gain back all my weight plus some; that would put me over 300 lbs.....I've been looking for info on the iLap and everything I read is good with the exception that "is it or is it not reversible" and that it is still being investigated. Have any of you had it done.....

Sorry that your going through this... :( I think what your referring to (ilap) Gastric imbrcation, also know as a gastric Plication.

This procedure is considered experimental, and they say it's reversible? From what I understand they fold over the stomach and suture it so it's smaller. When that is done with a band in place the band is really a "back-up because it doesn't need to be filled immediately, if ever because the plication makes a smaller stomach= less food eaten. I personally wouldn't do this not if your surgeon is telling you he's only done it for a year I'd want a surgeon with more experience.

In regards to a slip, whether it's an anterior or posterior slip they tend to slip again. I've been told by my surgeon that allot of people have H. Hernia's, most are unaware, they usually repair them at the time of the original WLS.

Have you considered just having the vertical gastric sleeve? It's something to consider.

I had the plication with my lapband on 5/24 (last fri) and I am noticing I am rarely hungry, but considering I'm still on liquid diet I guess that doesn't mean much! I plan to keep everyone updated since the plication is so new.

I had my surgery a couple of years ago and at first it went great, but then I left the state to go to college. I never made it back down for an adjustment and when I ended up back home I started having severe acid reflex and I couldn't eat anything. My doctor removed the Fluid from my band after he told me it had slipped. The acid and eating problems went away for a while. Two weeks before my readjustment I was having the same problems but much worst I went to a local doctor and he x-rayed me and said it looked like I had an air pocket. When I went to my surgeon two days later he told me that when they removed the fluid my band didn't move back into its position instead my stomach moved up and around it. I was in surgery 3 hours later. the managed to unclip the band move it, and re-clip it in place. It is working much better now and its nice to be on track again.

Mnwhit, I hope that you can get some relief! Best wishes ShayChristina. Best wishes to you both!