Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bad bad bad nausea - help would be appreciated!

I had band replacement surgery 8 days ago and about 3 days ago I started experiencing nausea. This isn't something I got when I had my initial lapband surgery so it's completely new to me.

It started just as general nausea and feeling pretty cruddy, but yesterday it got so bad that I started dry retching (very painful with new incisions, might I add) The retching didn't result in vomiting but I would then burp uncontrollably for a few minutes, feel better, then about 5 mins later, the nausea would return and the whole cycle would start again.

It's the weekend here so I'm not going to be able to call my dr, but after a REALLY rough night of feeling like absolute crap last night and doing the whole dry retching/burping cycle I feel like I need to break this somehow. I am sipping hot sweet tea today and it seems to be helping a little, but not quite enough, so if anyone else has experienced nausea after surgery and found ways to combat it, I would LOVE to hear it.

sugar free Popsicles helped me after surgery.

I don't have a huge issue with nausea. But every once in awhile I'll be grossed out by eating; the thought of it makes me ill/nauseous. I don't really know what triggers it, but it last for a day.

I agree with Missy! At the very least...they can give you something to help the nausea until your doctor's office opens on Monday! Nowadays.....I ask all my docs for anti nausea meds if I think something is brewing!!

i agree with the others about calling your dr,but in the meantime,try some hot chicken broth...i lived on that after surgery!!

also,be very careful that you dont get dehydrated....sip some gatorade or suck on ice chips

call the after hours and get med for nausa very import.

I have spoken to the nurse on the number the hospital gave me and she said to get some over the counter meds and take those. And as per her suggestion I'll call my dr on Monday and explain about the dry retching so he can decide what to do next.

I've had a sleep and have woken up feeling a little better. I think it was a bit of a vicious cycle in that I was feeling nauseous so didn't feel like eating, so my empty stomach would then have acid build-up, which made me feel very bloated and made me retch. My partner has since forced me to have two cups of tea and a Protein Shake and it has actually helped with the nausea.

I am holding down everything so I'm not worried about getting dehydrated. When I retch nothing but burps come out.

Am feeling decent enough to go get those meds now so hopefully it will be a turning point for me. Fingers crossed.

I found homemade veggie Soups helped. I also felt nauseous and I think it was because everything else I was "eating" (shakes etc) was sweet. The Soup tasted like food and made a huge difference.

Have you tried the over the counter anti nausea meds yet? Some people prefer them to the prescription phenergan.