Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Re-banded from old 4cc band to new 11cc band,anyone else?

I was banded with a 4cc band back in Oct 2008. Had that band for 2 years, lost 100lbs, then lost the band due to complications. I went without the band for 2 years and then started to put weight back on so I went and got another band last December. I now have the new 11cc band. Wow! So different! With my old band if something was stuck it had to be thrown up. It would never go down. This new band, I can't throw up at all. If something is stuck, I just have to wait, sometimes all night, but it does eventually go down. Anyone have similar experiences?? I also don't have any heartburn with this new band. And the port is so much better. When I lost weight with my old port it stuck out. This new port you can't even see. I think they made great improvements with the newer bands. I feel i can live with this band.

Just curious if anyone else is in the same situation as me...

thanks for the update.....can you give some specifics on the post-4cc band weight gain?

I haven't heard much over the years about how a deBanded person transitions back to the old Bad Eating Habits. That's of concern in my own overeating history....'knowing better yet proceeding anyway'....

cheers on your new journey

I went two years without the band and managed to keep almost all the weight off but then I put back on 30 lbs over the coarse of three months and ran and got another Lapband out of fear. I stuck to the Lapband diet for those two years and pretended i still had it. My doctors even said I beat the statistics but then I had a few life stresses and started to return to my old ways. Now I'm working on taking off the last 20lbs I gained. It's a struggle we will deal with always but I'm winning still :-)

"life stresses" for me emerging as over eating continue to just befuddle me...

I'm finding I do serial snack at times....but now it amounts to perhaps 6 or 10 single saltines instead of a bag-o-burgers....

If you feel you can, I'd appreciate some closer description of the sensation of being without the Band.... and then going for replacement.

Both of those took a lot of courage, IMHO.

I was terrified when I left the hospital without my band. I lost the weight so quickly with it and I was afraid it would come back on even faster. I went on a total binge for a few days and then joined weight watchers. Stay on weight watchers for a couple weeks then quit. I then decided I had to still live like I had the lapband and ate that way. I went up and down in weight over the 2 years without it but never went over 170lbs. I always kept the 100lbs i lost off. (270-140 with first lapband) When I reached that I would starve for a week and get back down to 150. This went on for two years. Then last Thanksgiving came and I couldn't get back down. That's when I made the appointment to get another lapband. I didn't even hesitate. I am a food addict and need the extra help. I am back down to the 150's now but my ultimate goal is 130. I plan on taking this lapband to the grave with me :)

congratulations on reaffirming your concern with better health.....that 2 years pattern sounds like the kind of thing I would have trouble with myself.

My Band continues at times to be my BFF, and at time my Symbiant that confines my excesses to smaller fluctuations. And at times really truly leaves me feeling like a 'Totally Recovered food Junkie'....totally....sure....

I was suffering daily PBs and they finally took out most of the fill....which gave instant relief. Still, it was only 1.8/4cc band at max, just not tolerable.

At 67 I'm not anxious to either go for more surgery OR return to my evil Morbid Obesity twin.

Yeah I had the 4cc band and couldn't have a fill in it. It finally closed without a fill and they removed it. This newer band is great. Nothing ever gets stuck but I wouldn't have lost it so quickly with this band. I still need a few more fills to get to the restriction I had with my 4cc band. I do love the new port. You can't see it even now without fat on my stomach. My old port stuck out after I lost the weight. I go for another fill Monday.

Very interesting to read, I'm glad you were able to get the 11cc band in! I have a 4cc band and it's so finicky. Some days I could eat a truck, some days I can't eat more than liquids. If I have a cold, 75% of the time 2 weeks later my band shuts and I have to go get an unfill. I think I'll stick with the 4cc as long as I can, but might have to revise to an 11cc at some point.

Word of the day for 4cc Band for SURE: "FINICKY"....yes....