Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I look for a new Dr.?

Well most of you know what I am going thourgh. And I was thinking if I should look for a new band Dr. One I can drive out to see. And would a band Dr. even take me if I am used goods? Just want to know your thoughts on it. Thanks

Trish, go with your instincts. How about trying another doctor in your area first and if you don't like him, stick with the original guy.

How are you feeling btw?

I feel like crud! I was in the ER all night. They put me on antibiotics. NO I wasnt already on them... I have a hole and my band Dr. did not put me on antibiotics, I asked why this morning, and they said because I didnt need them... Oh good to know I guess LOL

I addressed alot of this on your bandiversary thread, but yes you should switch doctors.

It is common knowledge that if an infection is even remotely suspected then antibiotics is the treatment. I was on IV antibiotics when I had my band removed for two days just to make sure we killed anything that was in there. It is just good medical practice to treat a suspected infection this way. And for your doctor and the staff in his office to tell you that you "don't need them" is malpractice in my opinion. I am just appalled at their handling of your care. It doesn't take long for Sepsis (raging infection throughout the body) to set in.

Come to Calif and I will get you an appt with Billy. I will take you to see him and give you a room to sleep in. SERIOUSLY!!

I addressed alot of this on your bandiversary thread, but yes you should switch doctors.

It is common knowledge that if an infection is even remotely suspected then antibiotics is the treatment. I was on IV antibiotics when I had my band removed for two days just to make sure we killed anything that was in there. It is just good medical practice to treat a suspected infection this way. And for your doctor and the staff in his office to tell you that you "don't need them" is malpractice in my opinion. I am just appalled at their handling of your care. It doesn't take long for Sepsis (raging infection throughout the body) to set in.

Come to Calif and I will get you an appt with Billy. I will take you to see him and give you a room to sleep in. SERIOUSLY!!

I humbly disagree with you Penni. Just because a doctor suspects an infection does not mean they automatically treat with antibiotics. Because of antibiotic overuse and misuse over the last few decades, we now have antibiotic resistant bacteria. It is standard practice to actually allow the body to attempt to heal itself of certain infections as long as the patient is not having significant symptoms due to the infection. Often, they also require a culture and sensitivity to determine what antibiotic will work best with the type of bacteria causing the infection. If you give broad spectrum antibiotics they kill even the "good" bacteria that your body needs to protect itself or even digest. Hence the occurence of yeast infections and Constipation associated with them. Correct practice is to give the right antibiotic in the right doses at the right time for the right infection. It is NOT malpractice to "wait and see".

I'm not familiar with the rest of Trish's story, but this one example regarding the antibiotics should not be the primary decision making reason. Bottom line, she has to be comfortable with her doctor's medical skills and even his bedside manner. If not, then it's time to search for another.

I humbly disagree with you Penni. Just because a doctor suspects an infection does not mean they automatically treat with antibiotics. Because of antibiotic overuse and misuse over the last few decades, we now have antibiotic resistant bacteria. It is standard practice to actually allow the body to attempt to heal itself of certain infections as long as the patient is not having significant symptoms due to the infection. Often, they also require a culture and sensitivity to determine what antibiotic will work best with the type of bacteria causing the infection. If you give broad spectrum antibiotics they kill even the "good" bacteria that your body needs to protect itself or even digest. Hence the occurence of yeast infections and Constipation associated with them. Correct practice is to give the right antibiotic in the right doses at the right time for the right infection. It is NOT malpractice to "wait and see".

I'm not familiar with the rest of Trish's story, but this one example regarding the antibiotics should not be the primary decision making reason. Bottom line, she has to be comfortable with her doctor's medical skills and even his bedside manner. If not, then it's time to search for another.

I do agree that the right antibiotic given for the right infection is sometimes the correct protocol but in this instance she should have been started on antibiotics because of a suspected infection. The doctor didn't even do cultures if I understood her right.

My doctor didn't suspect infection but he still did swabs and treated me for a suspected infection to prevent a bounce back which insurance companies try to avoid as well.

I am only going on what I have experienced first hand as a patient and as a nurse.

ok Trish, lets see, youve had...

port replacement surgery

extreme shoulder pain

leak in your band

NOW...

a port infection in your NEW port.

All of this within 1 year.

Look at it this way... If this were one of us having these problems, what would you tell us to do?

I think youve given this surgeon a very fair chance at improving your health - at the cost of your time and money.

With this said, I ABSOLUTELY think you should find another surgeon.

You'll never know whether its hard or easy (find a new surgeon), until you start looking. It may be very very simple... ???

Dawn, (darn, I wish I had copied and pasted the link for you) Trish has had a series of problems related to her band. In her thread titled "I need your advise" you can read about her most recent band problems.

Im with the others - I wouldve thought that the surgeon wouldve given her some type of oral antibiotic after this recent surgery.

At the risk of being argumentative, I want to defend my original statement. It was in reply to Penni's statement alleging that lack of antibiotic was malpractice. If Penni is a practicing nurse (LPN or RN), she should be aware that often times doctors do not treat mild infections (even in elderly or debilitated individuals) in hopes that their immune system will "kick in" so to speak. The reasons, I have already stated, have to do with the recent medical directives regarding antibiotic use to allow them to be the most effective and prevent any more antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. That was my premise, that was the point I was trying to get across. If I failed, I apologize.

If Trish was post op, from a new port replacement and was exhibiting signs of infection then yes, an antibiotic was probably called for. I stated that I was not familiar with Trish's history and from reading Paula's post it sounds like she's had a rough road. However, were these complications the direct fault of the physician/surgeon? How experienced is/was he? These are the questions Trish should ask herself as well as how much faith she has in this doctor. If she has lost faith in him to treat her, then she won't trust him and the patient/doctor relationship is damaged. In that case, she needs to find a doctor she can form a trusting, reciprocal relationship with.

I myself have lost a certain amount of faith in my band doctor for failing to diagnose my gall bladder disease. Instead, for 6 months he continued to tell me my pain was related to something I was doing/not doing, or that I was too stressed out. When he told me to seek counseling for it, I sought a second opinion. I have hesitated to return to him because I harbor resentment and anger towards him. I need either him or a new band doctor to continue my care, but to change is a big decision and since there are few in my area I feel limited in my decision.

Trish, I wish you the best with your decision.

Trish~ From the bottom of my heart I think you should go with your gut feeling on this!! I say you should get a second opinion!! It can't hurt anything and you really are in a scary situation right now. You need someone that you can have faith in to help you and I'm not sure you have much faith in your dr right now....to me if you are questioning him then change drs. ((((HUGS))))

Yeah I do need to go with my gut feeling on this... Done get me wrong my Dr. is a wonderful person, always made me smile and always made me feel like he cared. But after a year of leaked port, replaced port, leak in the band. and now my hole I dont know.

Dawn, This infection started out a small ulcer type infection on the surface of the skin from a fill it was 5 weeks before I went to see him again. He would NOT have seen me but I told him my port was sore. otherwise who knows where I would be now. He took out the port in his office and packed the hole and sent me on my way. Told me I could shower with the open wound. I did. next day pus like you wouldnt belive. the pain was bad I wanted to die! my fever got up to 101.4 and I was taken to ER where they were in shock over the fact i did not have antibiotics in me from day one. after port removal.

So yeah it is a big choice I have to make. but I have been here on LBT for over 1 year and 5 months So I know these people and they know me. I just want thier advise.

Thanks for your wishes.

You know Babygirl, I would spend Monday making phone calls. Calling my insurance comp. to see WHO is on my plan within my driving distance.

Phone calls are the cheapest way right now.

Dont worry.

When you find the RIGHT direction in this horrible situation, you will have an abundance of peace.

((((hugs))))))

Im looking into Dr. Freeza he takes my Insurance.. and is only 311miles away in Lubbock I have been going to OH to get names to look up on UHC.

Penni I want to call but I dont have your number :eek:

Awwww, Trich, my heart goes out to you. I would definately get a second opinion if I was you. Please go with your gut feeling, it usually is the right one every time. Keep us posted!

Oh, Trish, I hope you can find a doctor who takes you seriously and gets all your issues fixed. This is going on way too long. :eek: