Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wish more people knew about LBT

I had my pre-op visit with the surgeon this week. It was a group session with four of us who are getting banded next week. It was basically an opportunity for the doctor to review the risks with us and for us to ask questions about our individual situations. During the session, it struck me how comfortable I am with this process and that <b>it's because of everyone here.</b> Thanks to LBT, I've known what to expect - the good, the bad, and the ugly - for months now. I'm totally prepared. Other people haven't been so lucky.

Had I been in the shoes of anyone else in that room, I think I would be one very nervous cookie right now. One week before surgery and they were still asking "beginner" questions - how long will the surgery take? what do you mean there's no fill until six weeks after? how quickly does the weight come off? Why do I have to get up and walk around after? I just had surgery - let me rest!

I had a few very specific questions - what size band does this particular surgeon use? Where exactly do they place the port? If the port sticks out visibly after I've lost the weight, will they replace it with a low-profile port? Do they check for erosion on a regular basis (e.g. 1 year out?) Do they do fills with or without flouroscopy? The other three people in the group looked at me like I was speaking Japanese.

If the shoe were on the other foot - if someone came into my session and started asking questions about things I'd never even heard of, much less thought about - I truly would've freaked out. I'd probably be having second thoughts, wondering what else was involved that I didn't know about. Of course, it really doesn't take much to freak me out, but still!

But again, thanks to this place, I feel totally prepared. I know I'm doing the right thing. I know what to expect. And I'm 100% ready. <i><b>Thank you.</i></b>

I wish every band doctor would give all of their patients the url for LBT. It's better than any book, pamphlet or support group out there.

Amen to that! I absolutely agree - I'm so glad I found LBT in plenty of time BEFORE my surgery so I would know what questions to ask! Even having been on LBT for several weeks before my surgery there were questions I didn't know to ask - didn't even think to ask about sutures vs. staples or location of port - didn't know I had a choice until after the surgery, that's something I wish I had learned about in advance.

Out of curiosity, why not have the low profile port put in place at the time of the surgery? My doctor uses the low profile port as a matter of course.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery and for being so well prepared for it.

SleepyJean- I know what you mean... I had a similar experience with my doctor... Thanks to everyone on LBT I had a list of about 25 questions for my surgeon during my initial consultation. I said, I have some questions to ask you and he was like "thats fine, but I'm not gonna answer questions that were answered at the seminar or on the video that you watched". When I started asking similar questions to what you have listed, he was impressed that I had done so much research and ask such involved questions. I would never have even had a list if it weren't for LBT.. As I read threads, I jotted down questions to ask.... My very first questions was "how many of these surgeries have you performed." This in my mind is one of the most important factors in the success of your band because they perfect the technique with practice and experience. I have learned so much from this forum.. I'm ready for my band!

I absolutely agree! I went to see 2 of the 4 docs at NEMC in Boston yesterday, signed up for my 6 week behavior modification group which starts on Monday, keeping my food journal and paid my $500 fee. I hope to be banded in July.

I would never ever know what to ask nor would I have felt as comfortable if it wasn't for this group!!!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you

BTW-one of the docs said she kept up with LBT and found it a great board

How about that!