Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this an emergency? Band Slippage.

Hi all. I was banded a year ago this month. For the past 2-3 weeks I've been having horrible back pains. Stomach aches high up, in the center of my abdomen and pain around my port. Starts out as a dull ache and eventually cramps, like someone is squeezing my insides. Nausea. I've been feeling heartburn again, which I know is a sign of band slippage. Could the other stuff be symptoms of a slippage too? And is a slippage an emergency situation? Because I have finals and really don't have time for a doctor appointment, but if it's an emergency I'll definitely go.

Don't assume everything wrong with your stomach is because of your band. Appendicitis, gallbladder, or any number of unrelated issues could be going on.

You definitely need to get into your doctor ASAP to figure out the cause.

this is your health we are taking about..def more important than finals...so make time.

you need to get to dr esp if you are concerned/worried..it may turn out to be nothing but you wont know until you see your doctor.

Hi all. I was banded a year ago this month. For the past 2-3 weeks I've been having horrible back pains. Stomach aches high up, in the center of my abdomen and pain around my port. Starts out as a dull ache and eventually cramps, like someone is squeezing my insides. Nausea. I've been feeling heartburn again, which I know is a sign of band slippage. Could the other stuff be symptoms of a slippage too? And is a slippage an emergency situation? Because I have finals and really don't have time for a doctor appointment, but if it's an emergency I'll definitely go.

GO! You don't want to mess with this. Could be nothing more than stress from your finals, but if you haven't had it before, you need to find out ASAP.

The pain I had with my slip was so severe I had no choice but go to the ER. Once the band was empty the pain was gone. Mine did need to be restitched, but it wasn't an emergency situation.

My doctor also told me that he had a patient come to him from out of state and he had been living with a slipped band for five years.

However, everybody is different, so you definitely at least need to put in a call to your doctor and let him direct you in what you should do.

I did end up calling my Dr office. They fit me in for tomorrow and I get to skip math, so it's a win-win! This back pain, especially, is unreal. Hopefully I'll get some kind of answer tomorrow.

Skipping math? YES, a win win! LOL!! I hated math in school, and do accounting for a living. Go figure.....

I'm glad to hear that you're getting in sooner than later. Please let us know the outcome... I hope you feel better, soon.

Just got back from Dr. My band looked fine, no slippage. It was a little tight, she said she took

.2 out, so teeny deflate. She thinks it's my gallbladder. So I'm waiting to get my ultrasound now.

Just got back from Dr. My band looked fine' date=' no slippage. It was a little tight, she said she took

.2 out, so teeny deflate. She thinks it's my gallbladder. So I'm waiting to get my ultrasound now.[/quote']

That makes sense. Honestly, when you listed your symptoms, I thought gallbladder.

I just had mine out 4 weeks ago.

Good luck and let us know what happens

Wow, gallbladder! My doctor checked and scanned my gallbladder prior to surgery to see if any stones or if it looked abnormal. Guess I was lucky. Good luck on your gallbladder issues.

Wow' date=' gallbladder! My doctor checked and scanned my gallbladder prior to surgery to see if any stones or if it looked abnormal. Guess I was lucky. Good luck on your gallbladder issues.[/quote']

Actually it's extremely common for a gallbladder to go after weight loss. That's why mine went too so I wasn't surprised

Hi Natalie, the gallbladder as my answer, but read this after your own surgeon said it. Hope that you feel better soon. Karen

My gallbladder ultrasound came back normal, so no stones. But the same thing happened to my mother back in 2009/10 hers wasn't functioning and it didn't show until she got a HIDA scan. So she wants me to have one done. I have noticed my stomach pain has lessoned ALOTsince my little deflate. The back pain is still there though. We'll see what happens. Thank you everyone for the well wishes!

My gallbladder ultrasound came back normal' date=' so no stones. But the same thing happened to my mother back in 2009/10 hers wasn't functioning and it didn't show until she got a HIDA scan. So she wants me to have one done. I have noticed my stomach pain has lessoned ALOTsince my little deflate. The back pain is still there though. We'll see what happens. Thank you everyone for the well wishes![/quote']

Just had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago! Only detected during a nuclear scan...

@Natlie10493.. I am going for my "first fill" today after having all the Fluid removed from my band. I have had it out for a month now to let my stomach and my esophegus rest. I have been banded for 4 years, I went through a severe depression, which I have depression anyway, but I learned how to manipulate the band and gained a good portion of my lost weight back. What made me have an unfill is that I had pretty much the same symptoms you described and was on my way to the ER when the pain somewhat subsided. I think/know that my band was too tight as I was so anxious to start losing weight.

Today is my "first day" again. I am in a much better frame of mind and will start to take advantage of posting and reading peoples experience. I thought I could "do it on my own" but that's how I got fat in the first place. Good luck to you!