Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips from a newly banded

So, I was banded 6 days ago. I have lost 10lbs up until yesterday, but thanks to my monthly visitor, I now have gained a pound...a pound. All this work, and I gain a pound. Jeez. There goes the next few days.

Anyways, I thought I would share some of my tips. They may not work for you, but they did for me. And if you have some, please do share. I am always lookinf for info. So let me start with medicines. I was told to take a multi Vitamin, acid reducer, and Calcium. Went to Walmart, got store brand Equate Acid Reducer ($5 cheaper than Pepcid, $10 for large bottle - may change to ); Viactiv calcium chews with vitamind D ($10); Active Kids Complete with Iron multi Vitamins ($6 for 120 tablets, with one daily tablet needed only, that is three months. Kids only need half, so one will do for you).

Now, my doctor said ok to Kellogs shakes, and there is 10oz in a bottle, so I get 5 servings each. I found this baby formula container, which is perfect size to measure my 2 ounzes. I bought the multipack, so I saved $2 bucks on the shakes ($10 for 8). For my diet I am using Maggies and Campbells Soups, Water, sometimes 1/4 cup of apple juice and the 6oz of shakes. I do get hungry sometimes, but I have learned to extend my eatings until a little past my hunger. And I take the pills like food. So instead of taking them with the shake or Soup, I take them, and wait a while to take either of those. It is like a mini snack. I am not doing enough with the Water, but I cant drink a lot, just sip and sometimes I forget. So far it was working, until the monthly came to visit. I think 10lbs in 5 days was pretty decent.

I am also walking, very slow, half hour. Do not overdo it the first days. I did on my third day, and was told to take it easy by the doctor.

Last thing, applications. I use four. This application for inspiration and questions. MyFitnessPal, which logs your water, food, medicine (the viactic has 20 calories so you better count it and your Vitamins will show in application totals, telling you you have taken 100% of needed supplements). The app is not used to people eating so little calories, so ignore the daily message of completion telling you that you have not eaten enough.

I also use runtastic, a pedometer that syncs with myfitnesspal, and something that has the word ticker in it. It creates that little ruler you see in message boards showing your weight loss journey.

Go online and find more info on message boards, forums and youtube. You will also find ideas for foods to eat. I will post some later on in this thread and a couple of youtube videos.

And remember, no solids during this phase. liquids only. Your stomach is healing and a scar is forming around your band, which will help keep in place. Do not put yourself up for future complications, by eating solids now. It is not worth it, even if you feel fine afterwards. You made your stomach work.

That is it for now. Just remember, it maybe painful, and hard at first, but you will fet the hanf of it soon. And the results, the energy, getting rid of medical problems and why not, the clothes, are a great reward. Good luck and God bless your journey.

Thanks for the advice,I'm being banded Friday!

You covered it completely. Most of us here have already gone through all the steps but a "refresher course" now and then is good for all of us. Also attending weight reduction meetings post surgery has been helpful to me as well. We discuss eating habits, new vitamins/minerals, snack foods are usually brought in to try from out dietitian. To hear others talk about there issues sometimes resolves your personal issues. We meet once a month in a meeting room in our local hospital. These are all optional and you are not forced to attend.

Best wishes

Good luck to you Deca.

Thank you Rosa. I keep coming back to this app and have seen many of my questions answered here. I would like to attend some meetings but I had surgery about an hour away. I am going to check and If it is same days as my fills, I will attend. You can learn so much from the experience of others.