Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question. The doctor that I have been seeing since Jan. is moving to a new practice, I have chosen for the time to stay with the office he is leaving. I met my new doctor Friday and I am not getting the same feelings for him as Dr. Coleman.

One reason, he seems a little cold, but if he is a good doctor, should that really matter? Also, I have a hernia that Dr. Coleman said he would fix during my surgery, the new on said, may not need it, will have to see when we get in there and it may be something that is not too bad. Well, I want it done. I don't have the money or time for a surgery that will be put off. And last of all, he said that here in the South (Arkansas) this is still concidered "experimental" but all larger hospitals do it. It is when the lapband is put in, they then fold the stomache in half and put a stitch in it. He said this will allow the stomache to shrink faster and lose more weight without having to use fills as often. Has anyone heard of this or had it done? I don't want to be experimented on. I asked how many he had done of these, he said 14% of his surgerys, well that really does not give me a number, 14% of what?

would love your input

It is called plication. Lots of people on this forum have had it. Try searching through threads by that term to learn more about others experiences with it. As far as the hernia and new surgeon - you need to tell him your concerns.

i have the plication and also had the hernia repair during my surgery...my dr told me it is (new and experimental) and he did mine pro bono for that reason...he said its merely an (aid) to help my band and advised me all the requirements (eating better foods/smaller amounts/exercising) will still be needed and not to think of it as a (i just have surgery and i lose weight) type of thing...that stuck with me. i have done well but i have also been very aware of my food and my amount of food intake. i say if you can get the plication, go for it...gave me my life back

I agree w CG if u can get plication, get it.. I got it done same dr as she had.. a month ago and love it...mind u I still eat like I am supposed to and am in the gym daily but as of yet no bander hell a lot complain about so I am thrilled

I had it done, too, the second time around... when my surgeon went in to fix my band slip. I wish I had had it done in the very beginning. Studies are proving that while plication doesn't prevent band slips, it does greatly reduce the possibility of the band slipping.

But on another note, your new surgeon does sound a little ... I don't know, vague maybe? I can't think of the word I want to use, but he just doesn't sound like someone I'd be comfortable with...

I had the band and plication done on 3/25. My doctor has done many of these procedures, and also told me that the long term data on it isn't available yet. But the results are promising, and as stated above, it reduces some of the inherent complications of the band alone. He factored the procedure into the bill, in a way where I didn't have to come out of pocket for it. He also repaired a hernia, and removed my gallbladder at the same time.

After much thought and research, I decided to go with the plication, not only because of the reduction of potential band issues, but I wanted a secondary procedure in place, in case the band did not work for me. At least with the plication, my stomach capacity is now dramatically less than before, which is another added way to limit what I can take in.

FYI - this is probably just a matter of semantics, but the plication is currently referred to as "investigational", not experimental. I don't know if that puts a little different spin on it for you? There is a lot of data you can find online, but none of it is conclusive. All very promising, but not yet approved by the FDA. My understanding is, they're about 2-3 years out from having what they consider "long term data", which would then provide what the FDA requires to either approve.....or not. So far, it's all looking pretty good :-)

The only literature that I found was this, I hope it helps

.http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3397205/

thanks everyone for your input, it really helps!