Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Battling Head Hunger

I'm new. I was banded April 11. I have not been terribly hungry since I was banded, however, my brain will not shut up. So far I have been able to reason with the head hunger but I'm losing the battle. What do you guys do to fight off the voice that is constantly goading you to eat?

I'm new. I was banded April 11. I have not been terribly hungry since I was banded' date=' however, my brain will not shut up. So far I have been able to reason with the head hunger but I'm losing the battle. What do you guys do to fight off the voice that is constantly goading you to eat?[/quote']

I found something else to do. My new crutch was/is herbal chai tea. I would go and sit in my bedroom and pout sometimes because I couldn't eat but my tea would comfort me.

This is all still new to you and finding something else to cling to while you are figuring it all out can help.

i battled that in pre op and found out it is true..(seeing hub eat some Snacks or people here at work eating something)......so when i (think) i am hungry, i drink something.....that usually settles the issue. but if i am truly hungry, i eat some Protein to feed my body....i dont fret over it too much.

Depends on why the head hunger is there. Evenings are my worst time, but If it is simple boredom eating, I will try and find something to keep my hands busy. Last night I picked up my guitar for the first time in a long time, the night before I cleaned in the kitchen.

If it is an actual food craving, my fix is coffee, in the evening's Decaf. But not just any coffee, really good coffee from India. Fresh roasted Beans, made really strong and I sip it, letting it set on my tongue, feeling the texture and concentrating on the aroma and subtleties of flavor. This seems to help me when I really want to eat, but I'm not really hungry.

I doubt coffee will do it for you, but the point is find something that you feel is a extravagance and immerse yourself in the experience and don't forget to count the calories if it has any.

It's true - find the thing that triggers it. I watch a ton of food Network and duh....I would eat while watching it or I find myself getting even hungrier after dinner watching Hell's Kitchen and wondering why. I'm watching food! So I either don't watch it or last night during my show I started braiding my kid's hair. Just something to keep my hands busy and totally forgot about being hungry.

If it's actual head hunger, a little rationalizing goes a long way. I also find writing down everything you eat sometimes helps to. Helps your eyes to see that just an hour ago I had Breakfast, so I'm ok and won't starve to death!

I just have to get away from the kitchen and I'm usually fine.

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I love food network and coffee too. I guess I need to take up knitting or something to keep my hands busy. So far I'm winning the battle but Holy Cow! is it a battle. Thank you for all the support.

Decaf coffee soothes my sweet tooth and I love watching the food network for cooking inspiration. Make sure you are drinking enough Water. Also I never eat out of boxes or bags and when I am done eating I put the food away. Out of sight out of well you know

I'm a gum chewer...keeps my mouth busy, my husband would argue that my mouth is always busy talking though :)

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I love food network and coffee too. I guess I need to take up knitting or something to keep my hands busy. So far I'm winning the battle but Holy Cow! is it a battle. Thank you for all the support.

You can't eat with wet nail polish on. I use top coat every night

I'm a gum chewer...keeps my mouth busy' date=' my husband would argue that my mouth is always busy talking though :)[/quote']

I am not allowed him ever again. Surgeon said if swallowed it has be removed surgically ask your doctor.

I am not allowed him ever again. Surgeon said if swallowed it has be removed surgically ask your doctor.

Should say gum. Just love these iPhones that correct themselves

Chewing gum worked for me, I needed to keep my mouth busy.

My doctor's fine with chewing gum...I quit swallowing it years ago :)

I'm finding the gum helpful. My doc is fine with gum. I have a very clear cue when i'm not hungry anymore. But man is it tough to stop eating!!! Does it get easier? Or is meal time always a war zone.