Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I knew i would screw something up....

So, I have been trying to get 60-80 grams of Protein down per day. I was banded 4/17 and I've been hitting that goal for the past couple of days. I just re-read my doctor's instructions and realized that I have been drinking far too many ounces at each meal (8-12). Now, granted, until today it would literally take me 2 hours to drink that amount each time. I guess my question to veterans is: have I possibly stretched my pouch by drinking this much or should I be okay? It still takes me 30 minutes to drink 8 oz.

In my first two weeks after surgery, I was told to drink 1 oz of fluids every 15 minutes, so I would think you're over a little, but I doubt you did any harm. Just cut back now and be more aware of things :)

You should be fine!! Make sure to read your materials really carefully going forward. Congrats to you both!!

Congrats on your surgery!! I think you are just fine, with you taking 2 hours to drink it, it would have passed through....Best Wishes! :)

Pouch enlargement

Pouch enlargement (type-III prolapse) is diagnosed when dilation of the proximal gastric pouch is present with or without change in the angle of the band and in the absence of signs of obstruction. The lower esophagus may or may not be dilated. Pouch enlargement is a pressure-related phenomenon that may be surgically induced by band over inflation or overeating with resulting high pressure in the pouch.

Symptoms of pouch enlargement include lack of satiety, heartburn, regurgitation and occasional chest pain. The diagnosis is made with an upper gastrointestinal series .

If your not experiencing any of the above symptoms relax... But it's always good to check with your Doctor to be sure and have an educated opinion and peace of mind.

Fluids will pass right through the band to the lower stomach. Very doubtful you stretched anything.

tmf

Fluids will pass right through the band to the lower stomach. Very doubtful you stretched anything.

tmf

I've had restriction since day one that actually makes fluids take a pause before passing through the band. I always have a bit of a waiting period (5-10 seconds) before I get a feeling of relief when it moves through. That feeling seems to be less and less each day though.

Thanks everyone--I feel better hearing your replies.

I've had restriction since day one that actually makes fluids take a pause before passing through the band. I always have a bit of a waiting period (5-10 seconds) before I get a feeling of relief when it moves through. That feeling seems to be less and less each day though.

Well, I'm jealous. I was starving 3 days out of surgery and could consume multiple cans of Soup or juice with no problem. Took me 4 months to find restriction. You're going to be one of the lucky ones! :angry::P

yep, liquid goes straight through....i asked my dr this on my 1st follow up 2 weeks post op......

doing fine. Best wishes for a successful recovery and weight loss.Karen

Pouch enlargement

Pouch enlargement (type-III prolapse) is diagnosed when dilation of the proximal gastric pouch is present with or without change in the angle of the band and in the absence of signs of obstruction. The lower esophagus may or may not be dilated. Pouch enlargement is a pressure-related phenomenon that may be surgically induced by band over inflation or overeating with resulting high pressure in the pouch.

Symptoms of pouch enlargement include lack of satiety' date=' heartburn, regurgitation and occasional chest pain. The diagnosis is made with an upper gastrointestinal series .

If your not experiencing any of the above symptoms relax... But it's always good to check with your Doctor to be sure and have an educated opinion and peace of mind.[/quote']

Thanks for that I was scared too. I got my banded on the 18th and yesterday I fell apart and ate two pot stickers. I chewed them until they were almost paste in my mouth but I know that wasn't good. Today I took two bites of subway sandwich. I called my doctor and he asked me if I lost mind of course I said yes! I am so worried about my pouch stretching! I am not having any of the above symptoms but I feel like I'm starving and hasn't even been a week yet. My doctor told me stop now and do only liquid for the next 21 days and everything should be okay but I'm still worried about my pouch being stretched out. Is it possible that it could shrink back?

HELP!!!

I was banded on the 19th. Procedure was done around 5:45 that fri evening. I have not eaten since Thursday the 18th. I've done good so far. Gas pain a lot better. Actually went to gym this morning(tues) and walked a mile very slowly. All was well doing Protein drinks and liquids until I decided to make a puréed Soup today. I drank probably 5-6 oz and I drank about 3oz of apple juice and Water over a period of 3 hrs. Anyway, I'm miserable! Feels like something is stuck I'm my throat and my stomach is a constant rumble. I took nausea pill and Gasx and NO relief yet. My stomach is actually sore. I can't even imagine drinking h2o. I even keep burping. Anybody had this or similar?...please help me!!!...sistercin