Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Intro.....a little late!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Marlena and I can't tell you enough about how glad I am to have finally made this life change by getting banded. I have struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. Never had a problem losing it, just the keeping off part had me challenged for sure. That being said, I have a bedroom full of various size clothing because I never knew what size I would wake up as. Towards the end of last year, I made one last diet attempt and lost 20+ pounds but that was the tip of the iceburg. The holidays came and I once again blew it which escalated my weight to a very uncomfortable point. It was then that I had just had enough of being obese (I hate that word). So I asked my doctor and he put in the referral for me to have lap band (I chose the band from the beginning), I was approved immediately due to having a few of the co-morbidity complications. Excited I was until I learned that my insurance would only allow the surgery at their place of choice. It took me a month and a half to convince them that I was not having something as serious as a surgery done where I didn't feel comfortable. I won!!!! Yay me!!! :D My surgery was finally approved at the Michigan Bariatric Institute (my choice) with Doctor Boutt and his team of wonderful people.

I found this site a week or so before my surgery and I just have to say thank you to all of you! I can't even begin to tell you what it meant to me to have all the support and information available to me in one handy place. I am now an LBT addict for sure and will be for life I'm sure. I was banded on 4/11/13 and all went well. I am on my last week (of the 2) my dr. recommended of Clear liquids before starting the pureed full liquids for two weeks. I haven't had one moment of hunger other than "head hunger" as you all call it and that is a major statement coming from a major food addict of many years. I never needed a reason to eat, just ate for the hell of it! As my second week of clear comes to an end, I have already shopped for and am planning my meals for the next two weeks on pureed food. :blink:

I am just so excited because I have lost 21 pounds since being banded and even though I know this may go up a bit with the different foods, I now have the tool to make things happen and keep them where they should be. Never again will I rely on food to pass my time. I have taken up scrapbooking and even sewing....both things I love to do but always thought I had no time for it. I walk daily also which I love and plan to get back to the gym as soon as my doctor says it's a go. :)

Thanks again to all of you wonderful banded people who share your thoughts and experiences so freely to help those like me who are just getting started. You all ROCK!!!!

I agree to them having stricter post op rules....but it works for sure! :) I hope we do pass one day in the office. Are you going to Tammy's farewell Bari-Buddy meeting on the 28th. I guess she is leaving to work closer to home....I'm sad because she is a wonderful part of the support team!!!

I am so happy for you and glad things are good well right now. Keep up on the fills they do help with the head hunger at least for me it does and of course stay busy is the best thing. Good luck and look forward to hear more as u go

Congrats to the banded journey! You are doing wonderful. I'm 10 months post op and teetering on 64 and 65 lbs down, I'm losing slowly but that's ok with me. I know you will do great. This is a wonderful forum and such wonderful people and support. Love my banded friends here!

Donna

I agree to them having stricter post op rules....but it works for sure! :) I hope we do pass one day in the office. Are you going to Tammy's farewell Bari-Buddy meeting on the 28th. I guess she is leaving to work closer to home....I'm sad because she is a wonderful part of the support team!!!

I really adore Tammy, too. I'm very sad she's leaving.

I just got the thing in the mail for that. I haven't been in the bariatric office in almost 2 months because I had my gallbladder out a month ago so I saw Dr. Bhesania in his surgical office after that and now I'm having hernia repair and a Tummy Tuck May 1.

I would love to go to her farewell party but not sure if I can. My grandma just passed yesterday so I'm super busy with funeral arrangements and out of town family this whole week. But, I do want to try to go if I can.

Congratulations, and welcome. How fun that you have someone that you can relate to our this group. Karen