Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gone for Good Club - May 2006

Wow PNUT, how many kids do you two have? You guys sure don't look like you have kids the age of owning apartments and working. That's pretty incredible.

Thanks ladies. :)

We have two kids. Our daughter is 25 and our son is 22. They are Dawg's step kids but I make him take credit for them too because he helped them through their teen years. For having no kids of his own, he is a remarkable Dad. :)

ok, i have a theory. fat people get sunburns a lot worse than skinny people cause all the fat we have on us acts like an internal tanning oil.

why do i say this? we spent 5 hours at the beach today. who sat down in front of us but 4 pretty tiny little teenage girls. they laid there and baked, but really did not show signs of burning or darkening. i sat under an umbrella and my leg was accidentally out in the sun for about 5 minutes. INSTANTLY BURNED!! Red as a cheap lobster. and it hurts.

now obviously i do not feel this way truly, but what the hell. i used to spend days in the sun with no real probs. now that i am big i fry in a heartbeat!!

Hmmmm! Definately a question worth pondering. I have a different theory on legs sunburning. I don't really have problem with my arms, which get plenty of sun. But, my legs are another story. I'm a 5 minute burner too. Only, however if my legs are directly exposed to the sun.

My theory is that fat people's legs are generally in the shade because our more rotund bodies act like umbrellas. Therefore, when they are exposed to direct sunlight, even for short periods of time, they burn easily.

I can't wait till I get skinny to test my theory for myself! :)

I've been tanning at a local tanning bed salon and my legs are being so darn stubborn! My arms, chest, back, stomach, and yes my girls are all tan, but my legs are still so pale. So I think you're both wrong. So there. *evil grin*

It's Sunday, it's raining, it's the day I weigh, and it's finally moved! The scales showed a 2.5 lb drop today. I broke down and bought some new shirts yesterday and I bought a goal outfit. I'm feeling pumped again. Watch out people... the NUT is back! *cackles*

It's Sunday, it's raining, it's the day I weigh, and it's finally moved! The scales showed a 2.5 lb drop today. I broke down and bought some new shirts yesterday and I bought a goal outfit. I'm feeling pumped again. Watch out people... the NUT is back! *cackles*
Woo hoo!! Congrats, Susan!! *hugs*

Congrats Susan, I can't wait to go by a new outfit. I did find a sweat suit in my closet that I had bought two years ago and put it on yesterday and it fit..the jacket is almost to big. I am sure fighting the gas pains today and full. I can't seem to get my Protein down or Water. I am trying!!!!!

Very nice ladies!!

I did have a small NSV yesterday myself. The shirt I was wearing in my Avatar pic now looks like a sack on me. It was kinda my favorite shirt, but that's ok. I'm sure I can find a new favorite shirt in a smaller size just fine, thank you!

:) Kristin

Thanks everyone! Clothes do not lie. The scale can be discouraging at times, and I've heard so many people say they don't FEEL any different, but we can't deny the way our clothes are fitting - or rather, NOT fitting! :)

DeAnn - I'm so sorry to hear that the gas is bothering you so much. I remember going through that and it really does suck. I also couldn't get down 1/2 cup of any liquid in one sitting for about a week. The swelling will go down soon. Just keep sipping all you can, and move around a lot to help with the gas.

Grats on your NSV Kristin!

Love y'all!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BabySpoons

Sometimes reading the posts here make me wonder if some people just weren't mentally ready for WLS and needed more time with the bariatric team psychiatrist. Complaining about the limited drink/food choices early on... blah..blah...blah. The living to eat mentality really needs to go and be replaced with eating to live. JS
      · 2 replies
      1. Bypass2Freedom

We have to remember that everyone moves at their own pace. For some it may be harder to adjust, people may have other factors at play that feed into the unhealthy relationship with food e.g. eating disorders, trauma. I'd hope those who you are referring to address this outside of this forum, with a professional.

This is a place to feel safe to vent, seek advice, hopefully without judgement.

Compassion goes a long way :)

2. BabySpoons

Seems it would be more compassionate not to perform a WLS on someone until they are mentally ready for it. Unless of course they are on death's door...

• Theweightisover2024🙌💪

Question for anyone, how did you get your mind right before surgery? Like as far as eating better foods and just doing better in general? I'm having a really hard time with this. Any help is appreciated 🙏❤️
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

I had about 6 months between deciding to do surgery and getting scheduled. I came across the book The Pound of Cure by Dr. Matthew Weiner, a bariatric surgeon in Arizona, and started to implement some of the changes he recommended (and lost 13 lbs in the process without ever feeling deprived). The book is very simple, and the focus is on whole, plant based foods, but within reason. It's not an all or nothing approach, or going vegan or something, but focuses on improvement and aiming for getting it right 80-90% of the time. His suggestions are divided into 12 sections that you can tackle over time, perhaps one per month for a year if a person is just trying to improve nutrition and build good habits. They range from things like cutting out artificial sweetener or eating more beans to eating a pound of vegetables per day. I found it really effective pre-surgery and it's an eating style I will be working to get back to as I am further out from surgery and have more capacity. Small changes you can sustain will do the most for building good habits for life.

2. Theweightisover2024🙌💪

That sounds awesome. I'll have to check that out thanks!

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches