Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gone for Good Club - May 2006

Skye, congrats on your wonderful NSV!! I also wanted to let you know that even though I may not post it, I do think of you and your husband quiute often. I hope things are going well. :eek: *hugs*

And....LOL @ your son's comment! :biggrin1:

Well, we finally did it! We got started on our resistance training in the gym today. We did arms, chest and back. Tomorrow we go back to do legs, butts, and some stomach work but mainly twisting and stuff until we build up enough muscle to support the more targeted stomach exercises.

I'm such a wimp! Some of the stuff I had to set on 5 pounds. A few years ago, we did some weight training and I had worked up to a lot more weight than that. Now I'm starting over. But it won't take long. It was good to be moving those muscles again! Loved it!

I'm doing well on my scorecard. I've been thinking about all of you who might be a bit too strict on yourselves in regards to the sugar and flour thing. I want everyone to be logical about it. We are aiming this at baked goods, candies and sweets, and adding granulated sugar to your food not at whole grain cereals, marinades, canned fruit (light syrup). I know that sugar is in just about everything we eat. Those of us who live in America are trained to have a sweet tooth from a very young age. So, if you are being prudent in selecting low sugar or unsweetened foods and avoiding processed flours and baked goods, then please don't be analysing the lables for the grams of sugars in that soy sauce or cottage cheese. Be fair with yourself and be honest with yourself. You know whether or not you've earned those points!

Love you all! Goodnight from an exhausted P'Nut. ZZZzzzzzz......

Hey Mo! WTG on the blood sugars! How cool is that?!!!

And Dawg...congrats on the BMI! Where are you getting your chart? The one I always see has 25-29 BMI as overweight, and below 25 as normal...but I have heard of charts that are a little more, uhhh, realistic? where a 27 BMI was in the normal range? I dunno, I just wonder if you could post your chart? or a link? Anyway. Well done!!!!!

Okay, Dawg, I just reread your post and 29 IS overweight on my chart, too...but I hadn't heard of the classes of obesity. So I still wanna see your chart! Anyhow, thanks.

Well, I don't have a single reference point, but the broad lines are as follows:

Adult BMI

• Super Obese: 50+ BMI
  • Morbid / Class III Obesity: 40 to 49.9 BMI
  • Class II Obesity: 35 to 39.9 BMI
  • Class I Obesity: 30 to 34.9 BMI
  • Overweight: 25 to 29.9 BMI
  • Average: 18.5 to 24.9 BMI
  • Underweight: Below 18.5

I've put this together from various medical journals but I haven't found a decent ordered list that details them all (but there is now!).

Most BMI Calculators (but not all) only go up to Class I Obese. As for the calculation, I do that myself to. (weight deviced by height (in inches) squared, multiply the result by 703).

The "Super Obese" class is kind of a new thing that may not even be an official class, but it is out there (basically - its greater than 200 pounds overweight).

I think thats probably the most thorough answer I've given to anything in a long long time...

:eek:

thanks for the info dawg..i have to admit though...it is a bit depressing. even at my goal weight i am class 1 obese. i would have to hit around 145 to be considered average....not sure if that is where i want to be...i like my curves. i will have to bring this up with my doc when i see him in may....

i am no longer morbidly obese though...and that makes me very happy. i am officially down 60 lbs as of this morning....

alright guys...you talked me into it...i will do the points too.....i will print it out and try to get on here at least every other day to update.

photonut....the girls are doing okay...still sore and itchy though. sometimes i look at them and think "too small".... sometimes i look at them and say "perfect"....it is very strange looking at a part of your body that changed so drastically so quickly....i LOVE that i am sitting here without wearing a bra and the girls are not practially in my lap (lol) they are perky

okay, i need to get working on my sheet.....

thanks for the info dawg..i have to admit though...it is a bit depressing. even at my goal weight i am class 1 obese. i would have to hit around 145 to be considered average....not sure if that is where i want to be...i like my curves. i will have to bring this up with my doc when i see him in may....

i am no longer morbidly obese though...and that makes me very happy. i am officially down 60 lbs as of this morning....

You have to take BMI with a pinch of salt. It is a measure for very broad averages. The more muscle you can get, the less BMI means.

You will want to get an accurate body fat calculation done before you put yourself up against the BMI 'standards'.

One thing I'd recommend is (and I'm trying to get away from this mentality myself) is not setting a hard 'goal' weight. The primary goal is to be healthy and happy.

I set myself a goal weight of about ~210 pounds because that is my 'healthy' weight according to the BMI scale. I now think that this is going to be absurdly low. I'm going to be spending some good solid time at the gym (started yesterday - finally) and I'll be focusing on changing the remaining pounds of fat into muscle.

That in mind, I doubt my weight will continue to drop on the level it has. Rest assured though GFG'ers, any weight gain I have will be muscles!! JA!

i agree dawg...i am going to concentrate on weight loss, health, and building muscle and not so much on what the scale says....i just saw a neighbor my mine outside that i had not seen in about a year (he was in holland i think...) anyway, he did not even recognise me...he introduced himself like he did not know me....i must look a lot different...yippeee

okay, i have been procastanating all day on my damn spreadsheet....now i can't even find it...

I will enter Bandland in 14 hours! WooHoo!!!!

I can't wait to have the surgery and get on with my life. I don't do very well resting when there are things to be done so taking time to heal will be a challenge.

Susan and Dawg--good going on the weight training! Keep it up! I can't wait to go walking together again in this beautiful spring weather. Hopefull, Hippo's Hope can join us too! She'll be in Bandland tomorrow, too!

Ok, I'll talk to you guys on the other side!

I think thats probably the most thorough answer I've given to anything in a long long time...

Wow! And I asked the question?! LOL Well done, dawg. I agree with you and Maggie about the whole BMI/goal weight thing. 145 pounds puts me at a BMI of 24. NOT overweight. But 145 seems just about unattainable to me! The problem I'm having right now is a 38.5% Body Fat. Wow! For my 183 pounds (oh, 182.4 this morning...yippee!) that's 70 pounds of fat! If I were to lose ALL of my fat, I'd weigh 113 pounds. Huh?!

I have "heard" that 20% body fat is on the high end of normal for women my age (40) so I need to subtract 18.5% body fat from my 183 pounds which means I need to lose another 34 pounds. 183-34=149 Geez. I keep coming back to that evil unattainable "below 150" weight.

Fact is, the numbers game is fun for about a minute. When it comes down to it, I want to be at a healthy weight, even if it is in the overweight range. I won't settle for Obese, and I'm on the brink...30.5 BMI. Lord, just let me see 179!!!!!!!! LOL

Yay on your perky boobies, Maggie! Have you posted pics and I have missed them? Pics please! Clothed is fine...and crop out your head if you must, but I know I'm not the only one who would love to see your doc's handiwork! teehee

Oh! And happy band day LindaV! See ya on the flip side! yay you!

I'm off to update my card with a bunch of zero's for the weekend. :eekB: Oh well, I had fun! :)

Ok, this something that I have been curious about & I have been meaning to bring it up for a while. P'nut, why can't you get the award in the challange. Yes it was your idea, but if you are working just as hard as everyone else, you should have the just as much of a chance to win as all of us. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way. This challange is a great idea, & it is helping me stay on track & be accountable. Thanks so much.

Kim

Awww, thanks Kimbo. I decided to opt out because I'm so great that none of you could beat me. *laughs* Actually, I didn't get points for exercise or Water today. :eekB: I got lazy! I just didn't think it sounded right for me to be trying for the award. It's really not a bad thing. I'm still working hard and enjoying watching all of you working hard too! I'm glad that this has been so helpful to you guys. That is enough reward for me!

LindaV - Tomorrow! Yay! Hurry up and get well so we three can walk. I missed you this weekend girl!

We went to a family/best friend family bbq this evening and the pics of me were awful. I've lost 63 pounds as of today, and I'm still so blobbly, and wobbly, and roly poly. *sighs* I can't wait to see that first picture where I don't look so grotesquely fat. And these boobs have GOT to Go! I would love to have perky boobs. And Maggie, when you lose more weight, you'll fit right into those "small" girls! :)

:faint: So yesterday was supposed to be a relaxing kind of day. My DH was going to BBQ for my DD's bday next weekend. DH and dad were BBQ'ing when they heard my mom scream...

A Copperhead bit my mom!!! She is OK, they had to put her in the hospital. She is still there... but it was a crazy day yesterday. I thought people died from Snake bites. My mom was VERY lucky!

Doing good here on the weightloss... Can't believe that I am SO very close to my mini goal of 250! I was excited when I got to 275... and look at me now :)

Oh my god. I'm so glad she's ok Heather. *shudders* I can't imagine how horrible that must have been for your mom. Where was the snake? In your yard??

My mom has a Nursery (plants) and she was just watering everything like she does everday....

We probably see/kill over 50 snakes a summer here in South Texas. This is prime time for snakes to be out.

Oh my god. I'm so glad she's ok Heather. *shudders* I can't imagine how horrible that must have been for your mom. Where was the snake? In your yard??

OMG! My heart dropped. I see copperheads, ugggh. They are rattlesnakes and they look like cobras, the way their head fans out, if I can remember them correctly. I used to see them alot in Virginia.

Oh gosh. I'll pray for her. Those bites are serious. And poor mom getting Anti-venom like crazy. They will probably keep her for a few days and give her alot of doses. :)

Praying for mom...

P.S., my daughter was playing in the yard as we were moving furniture in and right there, by her foot was a Pygmy rattler. It was adult sized, probaby 5 years old, pregnant, ready to bite my lil 4 year old. I screamed and it jumped backwards in the other direction, then turned again towards her and I grabbed her soo fast (my daughter).

Another time, 2 months ago my lil girl was in the master bathroom...and screamed. Water Moccosson (baby) on the floor, by the toilet. We had the screen door closed but the glass door opened and we realized it must have snook in through a small under door crack or something. Florida is dangerous. I want to move. Spiders the size of my hand, mosquito's the size of my hand and snakes everywhere. Oh and in the back yard...we see: Wild Turkey's, Deer, Wild black boar, panthers (once a month), snakes (weekly), raccoons EVERY DAY, in the trash, Armadillos - daily. I live in the back of a conservation area so I live in the Jungle. Pray I make it to my weight loss goal alive.:help: