Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded on April 17, 2013 and am doing better than expected so far. Still stiff and sore and experiencing gas pain in my shoulder and chest and feeling really bloated. I'm assuming that's normal ???? I did a two week high Protein diet prior to surgery. My first post op apt is April 30. I'm on Clear Liquids for one week and then will switch to full liquids for a week before moving on to puréed foods after my post op apt. So far I haven't been told when to start Vitamins and nothing has been said about Protein Shakes. I know I'll get more info from my own Dr when I see him but I'm curious as to when y'all started vitamins and shakes and how many calories a day you consume, or do you even count calories ?

I was instructed by my nutritionist to start my Vitamins on day 2, along with my full liquids. Full liquids include my Protein shake. I was told to have 1-3 Protein shakes per day during this stage since we aren't able to consume dense protein yet.

Good luck!

I was also told Vitamins right away. A week clear then full liquids with Protein shakes!! Good luck!!

Wow I am very suprised at your doctor! I was given a book way before surgery that explains everything including all stages. I started with clear liquids and carnation intant Breakfast mixed with non fat dry milk. If I was you I would think about calling the doctor. Best of luck to you.

I was told to start Vitamins one week post-op and i was on full liquid diet with three 8oz Protein Shake daily. I did that for a week and this week I'm on semi-solid Protein such as eggs and cottage cheese. But every doctor is different. I didn't need to do any kind of pre-op diet. I'd call them first thing Monday morning. Or better yet, if you're paperwork doesn't say what you should be taking in, I'd call the on-call doctor. My post-op instructions also told me what to eat/drink. But i wouldn't wait too long as your body REALLY needs protein to heal. I am a nurse and protein/proper nutrition is part of healing 101!

I did get a big notebook with lots of info and instructions from my doctor. Those instructions have me moving to full liquids after the first week. I was curious because some of you seem to have started out with Protein Shakes and Vitamins right away . I guess there are just differences in what each doctor recommends. I'm feeling fine right now on clear liquids and getting some calories from Popsicles made from clear fruit juice. On Wednesday it will be time for me to add some Protein. How much protein do y'all aim for each day ?

I was also banded 4/17. Have those of you who are already doing Protein Shakes having any issues getting them down? The Protein I'm using (ON Gold Standard Whey) foams up significantly when blended and if I drink too quickly I get what I can only imagine is a stuck episode.