Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI of 30 - do you think I would be approved?

I'm 59, 5'2", 167. BMI is 30. Has anyone with an initial BMI of 30 been approved?

I'm SO sick of being overweight and feel that I've tried it all.

It depends on if you have any other health issues.. I barely got approved @ 5' and 198 lbs. but because I had diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure I was approved.. you will have to talk to your primary care dr.

It is very unlikely unless you have the co-morbidties like Diabetes, High blood pressure, Heart disease, sleep apnea, etc. But look for a doctor that accepts a payment plan if you are really committed to this surgery.

Personally, I would never recommend wls for someone that is 20-30 pounds overweight. THIS IS NOT A WALK IN THE PARK, iow, "the easy way out"!

I would practically kill to be your size! Maybe you do not see yourself as other do. Have you seeked any other help for your weight issue? I am 5 6 and started my journey at 330. You are talking about surgery and changing your eating drastically forever.

I really do appreciate all of you taking the time to respond. I wish I were better at using this system so I could reply to comments specifically. It's SO slow on my otherwise zippy computer. What gives with that? I spent the afternoon reading lots of posts here and learned this wasn't the walk in the park I had thought. I do understand that many people would give anything to be my weight. I'm just SO frustrated and tired of it all. Anyway . . . I've decided against the lap band for me. Back to the basics I've done 5000 times I imagine. I do wish you all ALL of the best!

Blessings! And thanks again.

I have to agree with the others who have shared that serious co-morbidities need to be present.

I also would have a serious discussion with my physician as to the advisability of someone with your BMI to have this serious and life altering surgery with your current weight and BMI.

The band does not come without health risks and a major life style change for the rest of your life. This journey is not the "easy way" to loose weight. I chose this surgery as a last resort to avoid diabetes. If I could have lost 100+ pounds without the surgery, I would have.

I encourage you to learn as much as you can about this surgery, and have a serious discussion with your physician.

Best wishes as you consider your options.

I'm 59, 5'2", 167. BMI is 30. Has anyone with an initial BMI of 30 been approved?

My co worker was not approved because she had a BMI of 38. Unless oyu have underlying health problems like HBP, Diabetis or something on that line it wont be approved. Good Luck

I'm SO sick of being overweight and feel that I've tried it all.