Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stuck Episode - Advice Anyone?

I've had the band since July of 2012, and have had a minimum of fills, which occured during the 1st few months. I've had probably less then 5 stuck episodes during this whole time, and they usually have resolved themselves easily and quickly.

Last week I had decided to go for a small fill - my weight loss had slowed down, and frankly, I've always thought I was on the edges of the green zone, but not really "in it." The doctor gave me .25 cc's and I went on my way. Things seemed fine, and I didn't feel any different, but today, after re-heating and eating some Ahi tuna steak, it got stuck, and I'm in a lot of pain. I've tried to get "rid of it," so to speak, but I haven't gotten too much relief. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to ease the pain. I don't think I need or want an unfill - I just probably ate too fast, (still one of my problems).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Give it time, it should pass. I also heard that some people drink a carbonated beverage and the fizz makes them spit up(PB) the blocked food sometimes? Good luck, it always takes me 30-60 minutes to pass blocked food through the band.

tmf

Did you reheat in the microwave? tuna can be very dry specially if you eat it the next day. Try to move around see if it passes then maybe try liquids for the rest of the day.

Did you reheat in the microwave? tuna can be very dry specially if you eat it the next day. Try to move around see if it passes then maybe try liquids for the rest of the day.

Yeah, I did reheat it in the microwave, and I shouldn't have done that - but I also ate it too fast, (old habits die hard). I'm definitely going to drink liquids for the rest of the day.

I've found that drinking Water will usually force whatever is "stuck" to come up. It's not necessarily good to vomit either, but it gets rid of the pain pretty quickly. Hope you become "unstuck" soon! :(

For me drinking Water I's the absolute worst thing I can do. That is just me.

I have heard that people with the band use raw papaya enzyme supplement as it breaks down Proteins and is available at Vitamin stores. I but have not used it my self so I would suggest confirming with your physician before you try anything.

I have tried pineapple juice as well, I have not seen any impact because in my case I was just tight and not stuck.

Worth a shot though.

I've found that drinking Water will usually force whatever is "stuck" to come up. It's not necessarily good to vomit either, but it gets rid of the pain pretty quickly. Hope you become "unstuck" soon! :(

This is what I have always done...works like a charm...

I know many people who swear by Papaya Enzymes....they don't leave home without them...I never tried so I can't say....

Soda Water works for many.

When i'm stuck and keeling over in pain I try forcing Water down (even though i'm not thirsty and am sliming) because water will fill my esophagus till my throat and trigger a gag reflex until a throw up whatever is stuck

I sure hope i'm not hurting myself/my band by doing this

There is a distinct difference between throwing up and regurgitation! Throwing up is a forceful expulsion from your stomach. Regurgitation is urping up something that hasn't passed through the band yet. From experience, I have a dreadful fear of throwing up! While not pleasant or encouraged, PBing is not nearly as bad!

There is a distinct difference between throwing up and regurgitation! Throwing up is a forceful expulsion from your stomach. Regurgitation is urping up something that hasn't passed through the band yet. From experience, I have a dreadful fear of throwing up! While not pleasant or encouraged, PBing is not nearly as bad!

True...many people call it vomiting because I guess it's easy to do...

My biggest fear is vomiting...I have not been to sick to the point where I would since having this surgery. I feel that would do my band harm, the physics alone conjure images of the thing going "POP"

The band was designed for things to pass down..SLOWLY..not up from the bottom FORCEFULLY....

I travel a lot...I have had salmonella posioning once...in a 3rd world country....

For that reason, AND I DO NOT ENDORSE THIS...I carry a syringe with a large bore needle to do an emergency unfill should I get sick....

I am in Healthcare, I'm trained and know what I'm doing, my Surgeon is fully aware, plus my port is right there under a thin layer of skin....