Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

first consultation April 24

Hi everyone! I've had this app for a few days and have just been reading all the good and bad about lap band i am 5'9 280lbs i been overweight a long time and been on weight watchers now (my 12th diet attempt) since Dec my start weight was 300lbs:( so so far I've lost 20lbs ugh.....anyway i went bk and forth with myself for 2 years gastric bypass vs lapband and decided (finally) that i would rather a less rapid weight loss and working for it!!! My first of many questions is what happens at your first appt.....? Thanks for any responses and HAPPY WEIGHT LOSS TO YOU ALL:)

I first went to two seminars put on by two different docs. My 1st consult was just a weighing session and a visit with the doc. He asked me a lot of questions about my weight loss attempts and what my future plans were. We both decided on the lapband. It really only took 20 minutes tops.

Oh ok....i remember last year when i went for gastric bypass consult it not being a long visit either....so this is the easy part basically lol i see it get rough with the whole pre op diets and post op diets...but i need this i need to be healthy and happy and Im so ready to do this thing:)))) thanks a lot!!!

I think every office is a little different but I actually went to 2 before I chose one. The first one was like a seminar where they just give a bunch of information and then want you to schedule a visit with the surgeon but the second one was more one on one and in depth. It started out by filling out a bunch of paperwork while a video about the lapband was going on in the background, then I met with a woman who actually had the lapband (and looked wonderful) who gave me her story and allowed me to ask questions. They called her a patient advocate. Then she went over what my insurance would possibly cover and what I had to do to try and get approved for the coverage. Every insurance has their own guidelines but mine was a 6 month process. I had to go for monthly visits and show some weight loss or at least maintenance. I also had to meet with a nutritionist a few times, a psychologist and a cardiologist (only because I had an abnormal EKG at their office). It was a long process but they helped me every step of the way and I appreciated it only because it prepared me for the surgery more. I knew exactly what to expect when the time came. I'm only a few days post-op (banded 4/12) and adjusting to the feeling but I feel like I know a lot more than I would have if I just went in and then scheduled at the same time. I even worked on eating as if I had the band BEFORE I even knew if I would be approved and that helped me to lose some weight while training my brain. Hope that helps, sorry it's so long I tend to be a bit detailed. :) Remember if you don't like the place, find another one because they will be the ones to help through it all. Good Luck! :)

Oh i thank you a lot for the details :) and CONGRATZ on your band:))) Im so excited and dreading the process at the same time lol i been on so.many diets its insane its very stressful :) but thank you again i def have a better insight!!