Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doing some research and notice that more than half their lunch and dinner Entrees are full of carbs and sodium. Also their Desserts are full of sugar. How can a person lose weight like this?

Im not saying they are bad, I just want to know you guys opinions. Did you guys try this before your band and what were your experiences? Did some of you try this with the band? What were your experiences?

I have never looked into any of those diet programs. What I can tell you is that unhealthy carbs are major culprits in weight gain.

I did not review your profile, so I am unaware of your status regarding band surgery.

I have done my best to avoid processed foods in all areas of my diet since being banded. With processed foods, your observations are correct. Too much sodium and too many unhealthy carbs. There are usually many additives which one would need a degree in chemistry to understand. I prefer those chemicals to be in a science lab, and not on my plate!

Best wishes...

First, I say do whatever works for you. Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc. There is no right or wrong it's a matter of finding the best fit for your metabolism.

The reason Jenny Craig works is because it's low calorie. Contrary to the current low carb fad- carbs are not bad. They are calories. Just like you have to make wise Protein choices you just have to make wise carb choices, too. I've lost 200 pounds in 15 months and I don't restrict carbs, I just try to eat healthy carbs.

Sugar, in moderation (if you're not diabetic), is fine too.

It's all about calories and all those programs focus on limiting them. Weight loss comes down to basic math- if you burn more calories than you consume you lose. That's what these programs do.

Best wishes.

It seems that many new and old bandsters don't understand how their band works. It's supposed to decrease your appetite so that you're less hungry or not hungry for hours after a meal. It's purpose is to help some nerves in your stomach relay signals to your brain that you've eaten enough long before you've eaten too much.

Some foods will not give your pouch/band the pressure you need to stimulate those nerves. For instance, most of us could probably eat 2-3 cups of Soup. It goes right through your band and into your lower stomach. You might feel full but most likely, you're not satisfied. That's because the pouch and your esophogus didn't have to work at all for those fluids to pass through.

Some of these Jenny Craig, smart ones, lean cuisine meals will not give you the satiety that 4-6 ozs of Protein and some veggies will. They're OK to eat as they are low in calories but don't expect to feel satisfied with some of them(there are exceptions).

If you eat healthy food your band will help you to feel satisfied sooner and you will eat less. That is how I understand the mechanics of the band.

tmf

I did Jenny and lost 80 lbs. However, I got sick, stopped Jenny and put it all back on. I then tried Jenny again and from there on in kept going up and down, up and down. I kept getting bored with their food and kept 'cheating' so I never did accomplish my goal. I finally gave up. I probably spent the cost of my band during that time. (You think I would learn). I then tried NutriSystem but didn't care for the taste of their food. Over the years I have done every diet going. I am hoping with the aid of the band that I can stop pigging out and eat small portions of decent food.

First, I say do whatever works for you. Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Atkins, etc. There is no right or wrong it's a matter of finding the best fit for your metabolism.

The reason Jenny Craig works is because it's low calorie. Contrary to the current low carb fad- carbs are not bad. They are calories. Just like you have to make wise Protein choices you just have to make wise carb choices, too. I've lost 200 pounds in 15 months and I don't restrict carbs, I just try to eat healthy carbs.

Sugar, in moderation (if you're not diabetic), is fine too.

It's all about calories and all those programs focus on limiting them. Weight loss comes down to basic math- if you burn more calories than you consume you lose. That's what these programs do.

Best wishes.

Agreed, it's the calories not the carbs. Why Jenny Craig and Nutri System work (temporarily) is because of Portion Control. I don't know about you but thats why I got the band - so to never diet again, but lower my portions.

I think Jenny Craig and the like would be good for a while, just to teach you portion control. My band actually does this for me tho. I eat whatever I want, just in really small portions.

While unhealthy carbs (white breads, sugars, etc) aren't good for you (because they tend to be higher in calories), it's actually the calories that matter, not the carb content. fruit has a high carb content but is very healthy. People who lose weight on Atkins do so because lowering their carbs automatically lower their calories.

Good luck with your decision. My decision when I got the band was that I was thru with diets, measuring, counting anything. Worked for me - till my band slipped. Now I'm counting calories with My Fitness Pal :wacko: . I've found that 1200 is too high for me (gained a lb this past week), so I'm lowering them to 1000 this week and see what happens.

Marci

I have sad to say, tried all those programs and they didn't work because I sabotaged all of them. After all I'm a compulsive over eater! I'm trying really hard to eat only 1/2 C but my big question for anyone is please tell me how you get 20 gm Protein in 1/2 c portions. Greek yogurt is about 15gm but when we can only eat 1/2 cup, we only get 7gm. Now I've eaten 1/2 cup of yogurt and shouldn't eat anymore for this meal so now how do I get 13 more gms needed for this meal. I'm really stumped. Any suggestions for what you all eat would be a big help, because I'm really frustrated.

My surgeon and nutritionist recommends 1 cup of food 3 x a day and if needed a healthy snack .. I get plenty of Protein with my eggbeaters and turkey sausage in the morning or yogurt and lunch I can get good protein by eating chicken, tuna or even beef.. 3 oz usually I try to stay under 1200 calories but my protein stays around 60-70 gms. I did every program, from weight watchers, jenny craig, nutrisystem, and hcg.. the only thing I did not try was sense cause I figured that was crap... lots of diet pills , injections, everything.. nothing has worked as well as my band.. so far so good..