Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I decided to share the news of my pending surgery with family and coworkers, although many are very supportive I can't get the negative comments out of my mind, such as: I know people who have done this and they are still fat, a girl I knew stretched out the stomach and it was a waste of time and money...blah, blah, blah. I have always been one to prove the nay-sayers wrong, I just pray I still have that in me. I need this to work, I've been overweight my entire life and although food isn't my world I am concerned that I'm going to make mistakes and end right back up where I am.

I know...think positive! There are more successes than failures in this.

It is hard to really make someone who hasn’t been there yet believe that is does get better.

Most people get to the first few days, think it is too hard and therefore they are doing it wrong and just give up. Well, it IS hard. Sorry, I know that is not the answer you want, but it is the truth.

You just have to remind yourself that the habits you are trying to break are ones that you have had for years – do you really expect to break them overnight and for it to be a piece of pecan pie?

I can tell you though that it is so, so worth it. Once you get past those first few weeks and you are feeling amazing and loving the changes your body is going through, you will look back and thank yourself for pushing forward.

You just need to start. Set small and realistic goals and make one change at a time.

The main reason you should be doing this is for yourself and for your health. There are going to be negative people no matter what you do. Well sadly you can’t stop them having that opinion, but who cares what anyone thinks.

Lapband surgery isn't a cure and there will be alot of people who didn't use the tool the way it was intended and not lose or go back to their old behaivors. It's important to remember that the surgery doesn't make us lose weight...our behaivors and changes along the way do that. If you stay the course....stick to your Dr's plan and put the effort in....you will be so happy with the progress. I promise.

Congrats! Remember we have all been where you are.....fearful and anxious...it's all part of the journey!

I decided to share the news of my pending surgery with family and coworkers' date=' although many are very supportive I can't get the negative comments out of my mind, such as: I know people who have done this and they are still fat, a girl I knew stretched out the stomach and it was a waste of time and money...blah, blah, blah. I have always been one to prove the nay-sayers wrong, I just pray I still have that in me. I need this to work, I've been overweight my entire life and although food isn't my world I am concerned that I'm going to make mistakes and end right back up where I am.

I know...think positive! There are more successes than failures in this.[/quote']

It's ok and quite normal to feel those feelings! And you will probably make mistakes here and there....hey, youre human. Thats one of the ways we learn. In the beginning you most likely will question your decision, did you make a mistake having this?, can you do this?, will it work for me?, why am I hungry?, etc. If you have a good support team, a desire to make it work, and are willing to follow up with your doctor for needed adjustments, you WILL succeed. Depending on your doctor, you may/will experience "bandster hell". That period without restriction where it's just a diet. After you get to proper restriction, the diet is done! You can just enjoy life and eat "normally". This is my experience, and I hope the best for you! :)