Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering the band...

Hello my name is Adam. I have been researching the lap band several days now and i am glad i found these forums. I am looking for some feedback to some questions i have.

I guess my concern is that after banding i plan to return to work no longer than a week afterwards. Is there alot of nausea that follows the surgery? I dont want to be missing alot of wor because i have a good job and would like to keep it. :). Thanks so much!

I am 33 yrs old. 5' 6" and 280lbs. I have a desk job all day and drive 30 min one way to work.

HI Adam, WELCOME....

AS far as Nausea, it's personal, I never had a problem, other's might have. 1 week post op sounds pretty optimistic, after all it's MAJOR surgery. Is this your first adventure into researching the BAND? Allot of the questions that you might have are better answered by a bariatric surgeon, anywhere close to you that has informative lectures that you can attend? you can also Google search Lap band, and watch videos, and get more information that's factual not anecdotal Also search the other weight loss surgeries, you never know what your doctor is going to recommend. Good Luck In your WL Journey

I was banded on a Wednesday (12/12/12), went to a Christmas party on Saturday and was back at work on Monday. I also have a desk job. I didn't find that hard to do at all. The hardest thing was finding things that were loose enough around my stomach where the incision is. I've now lost 53 pounds and feel SO much better! It is a life changer in such a good way. I look forward to what the next year will bring for me. Everyone is different and reacts differently to the operation but I am 48 years old, 5'10" and I was 277. So I'm older than you and youth is a wonderful thing! Enjoy it!

Hello my name is Adam. I have been researching the lap band several days now and i am glad i found these forums. I am looking for some feedback to some questions i have.

I guess my concern is that after banding i plan to return to work no longer than a week afterwards. Is there alot of nausea that follows the surgery? I dont want to be missing alot of wor because i have a good job and would like to keep it. :). Thanks so much!

I am 33 yrs old. 5' 6" and 280lbs. I have a desk job all day and drive 30 min one way to work.

Hello and welcome!

Having any type of weight loss surgery is very big and personal decision. You're wise to ask questions.

Being as you have a desk job, a full week off should be fine. I know I had my surgery on a Friday and I was back to my normal routine by Wednesday. The recovery really isn't bad (in my opinion). I didn't even need pain meds after the second day.

As far as nausea, they will keep well mediated against it in the hospital. If you do have any after, your doctor can give you meds for it. Vomiting with the band is dangerous so they do all they can to assure that doesn't happen. (I personally had zero nausea).

Best wishes!

Hi! I will be banded on the 29th of this month. So I don't have a hands on experience to share; however I was at my surgeon's office yesterday for the pre-surgery visit and he told me that typically he sees that patients take anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks to be back to work after the surgery. He tells everyone to take at least one week to heal. He also told me that if I eat too fast or too much or don't chew enough I will most likely vomit. I think it's important that once you have found a surgeon to really ask them what they normally see, find etc with their patients and that might give you a better idea.

​Hello and welcome. Have you gone to any support meetings at your local hospital? They are great and you can ask a lot of questions. I went to the monthly meetings from Oct., 2011 until my surgery July, 2012 and still try to make each monthly meeting, now. On you tube you can go to Lap Band and watch a video of the surgery, the Lap Band rep told us at a meeting. I never watched it because I don't do well with surgeries or blood.

I had a lot of pain from the gas they use and a heating pad helps. You should be fine other than that pain. Walking also helps get the gas out.

Good luck with your new body!!

Hi Adam I am 5 days post op now :) I have only had one episode of nausea without any vomiting and I feel really great! The first couple days there was minor soreness at the incision sites and some gas pain but as long as you walk and take your pain meds its fine! If you have a desk job you would have no problem going back to work in a week (in my opinion). I am a RN and my doc said I could go back to work in a week with no restriction (but I decided to spoil myself and take almost three weeks off with a vaca thrown in the mix :))

I had no problem recovering. I could have gone back to work the next day. I guess everyone is different. Good Luck with your journey.

Follow my lap band blog www.biscuitsandexcuses.blogspot.com

Hi Adam,

Nine days post op here, not gonna lie to you I was hurting for three days after the op but it was mostly gas pains. I did return to work a week after op, I'm a teacher for 4-7 yr olds and admittedly all the bending down and running around after the kids is tiring and a little sore on the incisions but aside that no real pain.

Good luck with it

Vickie xx

Hi Adam

Everyone is differnt but I had my band with plication done April 3rd ( wed) and came back to work ( also a desk job ) on the 8th ( Monday).. my nausea stuck around till about the 6ths and by 7th I was not taking meds for it anymore. I do wish I had been able to work a half day my first day or two back I didnt have problems with pain I was just exhausted by the end of th day

Thank you everyone for your fast responses. Many of you asked if i have had a chance to attend a seminar class about the lap band. I work at a hospital with a bariatric surgeon there. The next class comes next month on the 14th. However i have packed myself full of videos testimonies, pictures, online seminars, etc. Even after that, i find myself 50/50 in my decision. My thoughts are, if i could have lost the weight by sheer self control and will power i would have done it by now and would not be researching the weight loss solutions. I do understand that most of these questions will get different responses and that my own personal reactions may be different. To hear alot of folks didnt have alot of issues with nausea, it gives me hope. You folks are amazing, and thanks for your advice. It is the unknown that keeps me on the fence but i also dont want to be ten yrs down the road wishing i would have done the lap band but didnt.