Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to this.. 4 days since my surgery.. Looking for support/advice from experienced, lovely people?

I don't know anyone that had had any sort of bariatric surgery before. My doctors and the surgeon I met with along with me decided this was the only choice for me as I am pretty close to diabetes and my efforts over the last 15 years to reach my goal weight weren't successful..

I am feeling excited/scared and anxious to see if this will actually work. I am unsure about many things and in my post surgery recovery period right now am experiencing pains that I wasn't told about.. Need reassurance?? Discussion?? I hope I get to chat with some people that can help put me at ease and we can share stories and weight loss achievements!!

Kellylap I'm so sorry that you were mislead that is very common. The truth is that you are miserable for a while after the surgery. Walk a little inside the house and that helps to relieve the gas pain. It takes time but it does get better. Percocets were my life saver for about two weeks.

Hi Kelly. I'm only 9 days post surgery and wasn't told about the gas pains at all!! But thankfully they have gone now and for the first time since surgery I feel myself. Hang in there and maybe we can share our experience together and keep each other going?! Xx

Please check to see if there is a local support for WLS. That would really help you alot.

Hi Kelly

Like you I wasn't told about the gas pain and suffered terribly, but nine days in, yes I'm a newbie also, I feel like myself again. Hang in there hun xx

You've come to the right place for support, knowledge about WLS and inspiration from our superstars.

I wish everyone could have been here for awhile before surgery. Ppl would have learned things Drs don't always discuss.

Your pain will only last for a very short time. Every day will be an improvement.

Welcome to the forum and ask any questions you have.

So I'm sorry to be too graphic here but remember, someone filled your body cavity full of gas, they pumped fluids, medications, antibiotics and anesthesia into your body. They punched 5 holes in your abdomen, moved all your inner body parts around, shoved a tube down your throat, took an electric scalpel and burned away excess fat and tissue wrapped around your upper stomach, then wrapped a plastic strap around your stomach just below the lower esophogeal sphincter, stitched it in place with 5-6 sutures bringing your lower stomach up and over the band and then snaked a tube out of your body and then sewed another plastic piece to the muscle tissue on your rib cage.

Now, thinking about all that has been done to your body, you're doing quite well aren't you?

tmf

Wow guys, thank you very very much for your replies!! It's so nice to know that there is support out there (being from Australia my doctor did tell me that this surgery is more popular in the states). I did expect pains just wasn't sure what type and how much. I have never had any sort of surgery before so it was all new to me and people around me would tell me 'oh, you'll be fine!' Tmf I appreciate your graphic description of what was done. Thanks :)

You've come to the right place for support' date=' knowledge about WLS and inspiration from our superstars.

I wish everyone could have been here for awhile before surgery. Ppl would have learned things Drs don't always discuss.

Your pain will only last for a very short time. Every day will be an improvement.

Welcome to the forum and ask any questions you have.[/quote']

Thanks so much! My doctor was fantastic but not much of a conversationalist!! xx

Hi Kelly. I'm only 9 days post surgery and wasn't told about the gas pains at all!! But thankfully they have gone now and for the first time since surgery I feel myself. Hang in there and maybe we can share our experience together and keep each other going?! Xx

Victoriab, I would love to share our experience!! It's fantastic to have someone that's going through the same sort of thing :)

And it's very nice to know that after 9 days you feel fine!!

K

7 days today! I was not told either, all I got from people I spoke with was That is wasn't invasive. Well I thought I was better off dead the first few days... Buuutttt it was like i woke up Saturday and was better! Don't get me wrong, I still hurt (I'm a bit of a wimp) but feeling like myself again and back to being excited about my new life!!!

It's a deal, we will keep each other updated :)

7 days today! I was not told either' date=' all I got from people I spoke with was That is wasn't invasive. Well I thought I was better off dead the first few days... Buuutttt it was like i woke up Saturday and was better! Don't get me wrong, I still hurt (I'm a bit of a wimp) but feeling like myself again and back to being excited about my new life!!![/quote']

Thanks for your reply :) I'm looking forward to waking up and getting out of bed with no pain :)

I was in terrible pain for a full month. May 1 will be my one year anniversary. It's all worth it. 74lbs lighter and wearing a size clothes i haven't worn in 20 years. Hang in there.

Kathy thanks for sharing that. It really helps a lot. Thx