Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd fill today / BIG DIFFERENCE!

Well, I've discovered why some people have no pain with their fills and some find it awful. For me -- it was THE DOCTOR!

My surgeon did my first fill. In and out, no numbing shot, I barely felt it. Today I saw the assistant surgeon for my second fill. Again, no numbing shot -- he tried to talk me into it but after my surgeon talked me out of it with my first fill and my experience was so terrific, I said no.

BIG mistake! He had to dig and dig around in there, several pokes, couldn't find the membrane, OUCH!

As we left he said "See you in a month!" I responded cheerfully, "Have a great day!" and then whispered to the appointment guy, "Next time I want to see Dr. Q. for my fill." He nodded knowingly like this wasn't the first person this had happened to.

So for all of you worried about your fill, I suggest asking for the most experienced fill-ER to do it for you.

I had my surgery on 3/30 and was called today to have my first fill on 5/25. Do most people get a numbing agent? I am nervous about getting it done and found out that the PA's do all the fills at my surgeon's office. I hope you're feeling better after the "torture" of your second fill.

Hi Elisabeth - I think there's a poll going on around here about how people get fills. I remember seeing it. I personally go to a fill center (where that's all they do). They do fills under flouroscopy and then they do an injection to numb and then they do the fill. I can watch it on the screen and it's pretty cool. No pain really at all... just a little stick from the local. The port site may be a little sore/bruised after the fill, but not bad at all (for me) :-)

Gadgetlady - sorry about that experience! Yikes! I would opt for the doc next time, too!

Follow up: who CARES about the pain from the fill . . . I'M LOSING WEIGHT AGAIN! WA HOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried to eat some crackers the other night and ended up moaning in pain. I have never PB'd but I've had a lot of sliming (and I never want to PB!). My DH asked me if I was OK and I told him, "Yup, just learning the rules." That's what the past few days has been for me -- learning the rules. And clearly I'm "getting it" because the scale has started moving again :-D

Well, I went in for my third fill today, this time again with my surgeon who did my first fill. One stab, no numbing shot, no pain at all. What a HUGE difference between him and the doctor who did my second fill -- digging and stabbing and very painful. So it's all in your doctor.

For those of you worried about fills, if you get someone who doesn't get the port on the first or second attempt, stop him and ask for someone new. Fills shouldn't hurt.

:cool: :) :) :) I had my second fill today finally I feel some restriction.My first fill I got a numbing agent and didn't feel any pain but,the nurse who did it stuck me with the needle four different times she couldn't find my port,she had to have someone else come in and do it ,that one found it right away.Today with my second fill the same thing she couldn't find the port and used five needles this time,finally she called the doctor in and he got on the first try I think Im going to have someone else do it next time.It doesn't hurt but you shouldn't have to be stuck with a needle five different times for a fill.:) :) :) :)

Hi,I'm new here and I have a date to be banded on July 17.06.Can anyone tell me what to expect?

:cool: :) :) :) I had my second fill today finally I feel some restriction.My first fill I got a numbing agent and didn't feel any pain but,the nurse who did it stuck me with the needle four different times she couldn't find my port,she had to have someone else come in and do it ,that one found it right away.Today with my second fill the same thing she couldn't find the port and used five needles this time,finally she called the doctor in and he got on the first try I think Im going to have someone else do it next time.It doesn't hurt but you shouldn't have to be stuck with a needle five different times for a fill.:) :) :) :)

Don't stand for it next time with the nurse. Demand the doctor the FIRST time around. If your doctor is good, you don't even need the numbing agent.

I had my 2nd fill 2 days ago and wow what a change! My Dr. has done both of my fills and I had no pain or dicomfort except he had me lay with the small of my back over a pillow and now my back hurts but that is the only pain. I sure feel restriction now! The night after my fill I thought I would try solid food, just 1 bite and I knew that was a bad idea! I had major restriction and for the 1st time I started "sliming". I thought it would never stop and the discomfort from the restriciton was really bad. Finally, my bite made it's way through I guess. But today I am sore where I think the band is and my throat is sore. So now I know why you aren't suppose to eat solids for 2-3 day after you are filled and I won't. I called the Dr. office and nurse said to say off of solids a few more days as I had probably caused swelling and inflamation around the band area! Live and learn! But, I am losing weight now, YEAH!

I had my first fill last Friday, one week ago. I accepted the numbing shot and it was not bad. A little sting at first. After that I only felt pressure, no discomfort.

[Today with my second fill the same thing she couldn't find the port and used five needles this time,finally she called the doctor in and he got on the first try I think Im going to have someone else do it next time.It doesn't hurt but you shouldn't have to be stuck with a needle five different times for a fill.:) :girl_hug: :girl_hug: :mad:

Please do not allow this nurse to ever give you another fill. First of all, they should be looking at the port under fluoroscope so missing should not even be an option. Secondly...stabbing unsuccessfully that many times could easily cause your port to leak or stab a hole into your tubing and give you a leak. I don't want to worry you, but I would keep close track of how much is in your band and exactly how much they can draw back out next time. Tell your doctor you are concerned about puncturing your tubing and you prefer someone who can get it first time. It is your band, your money and you have a RIGHT to have it done right the first time.:biggrin1:

i just had a fill yesterday and the nurse practiitioner hit it on first try. i opted for the numbing agent and never felt anything beyond that stick other than pressure. i'm feeling some restriction today and have been able to keep solids down. the np told me to continue with softies yesterday and i could do solids again today. so far, so good, because i'm dreading the first pb - if and when it ever happens.

It has been a month now since my 2nd fill. I still don't know until I try something if I can eat it or not. I've sure learned not to swallow the bite I am chewing if I get that "feeling in my chest". I can usually drink anything but there is no pattern to when or what I can eat. I am getting very frustrated. I haven't vomited but I'm sure doing something...probably slimming. for some reason I don't want to have any of the saline removed. In a stupid way I am starting to like the restricition, not the slimming and the yukky feeling. I keep thinking I will get used to this thing!