Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting down the yellow brick road...

This is my first post and I am really unsure of what to say exactly, except I am tired of being heavy. I talked with my doctor over a year ago about possibly having the Lap Band procedure done. She told me to do some research and when I was read to let her know. I have been heavy most of my life. When I was 15 I was told by a doctor that I needed to lose weight, who hasn't heard that said to them. That was one of the first times that my weight was majorly tied into my health. I am now 34 years old and once again I have heard that phrase, I looked at this doctor with an expression of "no really I have never been told that before". I have tried to lose weight for years, I have two beautiful daughters and I hope that my health hasn't been too much of a burden on them. Even though I know that there have been times it has been because what you all cannot see is that I am 1) overweight with a BMI of about 51, 2) I have degenerative disc disease, 3) osteoarthritis has developed in my knee, and 4) I broke both ankles last year. So when this last doctor told me to go one a diet and exercise. I told him good luck with that, I have tried pills (which probably until this point my mom never knew about), diet, Atkins, exercise and while some of the weight would come off. It would always come back. So here is some good news as I walk down my yellow brick road in hopes that the Wizard in the land of Oz can help me get rid of this fat. I got the call today for my consultation. I see the Dr. on April 30th and then have to do a 6 month diet per insurance at which time they can then schedule me for surgery from what I have been told . Any advice would be great and mom if you read this Thanks for always being there because I know besides my girls and my husband you will help me through this.

@ 34 years old you are making the right decision to change your life while you are young enough to enjoy it and possibly reverse your medical condition... Sounds like you have a great support system, husband, children, mom. it's not the easiest thing I have ever done but @ 66 I knew I had to make a change or possibly lose my life or health... keep reading on this site and believe me I tried every diet known to man,, all would provide me with losses which came back as soon as I ate anything.. so far I am down 32 lbs since January 15 and I have not gained.. You can do this .. your kids and husband will be so glad you did...

Congrats on your decision!

I would like to add that The Wizard of Oz really ends up being YOU! Like he told Dorothy, "You have had the power to return home all along." There is no magic with the surgery. It will help you stay "not hungry" with less food. It's up to us to eat small portions, make better choices, add in exercise when your body is ready, etc.

Read, read, read as much information as you possibly can about what to expect. Take this 6 months to try and eliminate soda from your diet, take smaller bites, chew your food like you have never chewed before.

I don't share this info to scare you...only to inform you. The band is the best thing I ever did for myself...but it doesn't work without my contribution to the process as well.

You can do this! I know you can.

I am not sure if my account will show up correctly, this is Jennifer. When I think of the wizard from Oz, I think of a man of wisdom that gave Dorothy the tools she needed to get herself home. You are right though it was Dorothy that had to get herself home. I have the power to make a change in my life but sometimes we need someone to help us with tools for success. That is how I view the Dr. I have the power to make a change I just need someone to help me get all the tools to get to my goal.

Good luck ! I had my first appointment yesterday !

I am not sure if my account will show up correctly, this is Jennifer. When I think of the wizard from Oz, I think of a man of wisdom that gave Dorothy the tools she needed to get herself home. You are right though it was Dorothy that had to get herself home. I have the power to make a change in my life but sometimes we need someone to help us with tools for success. That is how I view the Dr. I have the power to make a change I just need someone to help me get all the tools to get to my goal.

Couldn't agree more! I like the way you look at this! Good luck!

At this point I have completed my journey down the yellow brick road. I have completed the 6 month supervised diet, the psych eval went great, and I have done the gross but needed barium swallow. NOW all I am waiting on is for the authorization to come through from insurance. SURGERY date is set for JAN 15th UNLESS they get an opening during Dec. At this point I have lost 25 lbs during the supervised diet. I started out at 349lbs and am currently down to 323 lbs. :) Not a big drop but a noticeable change.

At this point I have completed my journey down the yellow brick road. I have completed the 6 month supervised diet, the psych eval went great, and I have done the gross but needed barium swallow. NOW all I am waiting on is for the authorization to come through from insurance. SURGERY date is set for JAN 15th UNLESS they get an opening during Dec. At this point I have lost 25 lbs during the supervised diet. I started out at 349lbs and am currently down to 323 lbs. :) Not a big drop but a noticeable change.

Congrats! Losing 25lbs is a great start! Please keep us posted on your journey!

I am only 4days post op and its an uphill challenge but well worth the effort!

I am also 34 and I have a son and daughter no husband...yet ;)

Best of luck on your yellow brick road!

Irish,

Thank you :) I met with my nutritionist yesterday and found out about the lovely diet that takes place 2 weeks before the surgery. As I sat there I actually wondered for the first time if I am capable of doing this. I knew that there would be restrictions and I was ok with that. I think hearing the diet for before and actually after surgery made it hit home that I was actually close to completing this step. I just wanted to cry. In fact I went and found my mother just to get some reassurance from someone other than my daughter (who went with me to my appointment.) Actually because my daughter is homeschooled she will be the one that stays with me at the hospital after surgery while my husband and youngest daughter return home due to work and school. So it is a good thing that our "mother hen" was with me at this appointment.

Honestly I have a great support system with my husband, daughters, HUGE family, friends, and even some of my co-workers. I know that it was just a little bit of a shock to my system to hear about everything finally because now we just have to wait for my date.

WOW one week from today I start my PRE-OP diet.... That is going to be a big change, but worth it in the end. I know some are waiting to see how I do before possibly venturing onto this path. I also know that while most are supportive there are some that are skeptical about it. BUT I just want to say this and this is something I have never said to anyone really. IT is very hard to be a "Fat" girl in this world and I am just plum tired of it. I have tried many times over the course of my life to loose the weight on my own and when this became an option for me to consider. I thought about it for 2 long years before doing this. I have been on my journey since May of 2013 and it is finally coming to the beginning of the next path in my journey down the yellow brick road. I know it will be hard but well worth it in the end.

Starting weight 349 Todays weight after the holidays is 327. Not to bad only a few pounds gained between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Looking forward to being down to 180 . That is my goal weight.