Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared and on the fence!

Hello!

So here's my story and I need as much advise as you guys can give! I'm 21 5"2 and weigh 300 pounds. I went to my Dr and he stated that I was a very pretty girl but he wanted me to consider lapband. I've been doing research and looking at YouTube videos pretty much non stop. I need advice because I'm scared of having any kind of surgery one. And two I don't know if I can live with this tool the rest of my life. I've been a big girl my whole life, struggled with it since I can remember. I'm just really scared to get banded and I'm scared that even if I do go through with ill regret it later on!

Please help!! I need advice the good and the bad!!!

Thank you guys so much!!

The best advice I can give you is to stop watching YouTube videos and start researching actual facts. I would also find a seminar in your area to learn more about the band and talk to a bariatric surgeon.

You are right, the band is just a tool, but it is an amazingly effective when used properly. I have lost 200 pounds in the last 15 months with the help of my band. My only regret is that I didn't do it years sooner. I have my life back.

Best wishes on whatever you decide is right for you :)

That's a very tough question. For me, there is no bad. For others, they may have some regrets?

I do have to say that if you've come to the conclusion that you can never diet or exercise off the 160+ lbs you're carrying around, the band or some other form of weight loss surgery(WLS) could be your only hope to live a somewhat normal long life? But, only you can know this and I'm reading between the lines and I'm not seeing that you're ready to make this kind of commitment.

I don't have to keep this band for the rest of my life but if I want to live longer I know I have to keep it. I can have the band removed and gain back 60+ lbs just like that. I don't want to live like that.

You'll hear this over and over, the band is only a tool and still requires a lot of work and commitment. The band won't make you thinner, it will only help you make yourself thinner.

tmf

I think it is great that you have a doctor that cares about your health. The band can be removed, if need be. Bypass and the sleeve can not be removed. The sleeve they remove most of your stomach and being so young I would never even consider that. The few people I know who had bypass after about 6-10 years they are all large again. What do your parents think? I have a 34 year old son who has been obese most of his life and he is finally watching what he eats. Maybe go to the meetings they have at the local hospital. I am going to my monthly support group tomorrow night. I love them and learn a lot and talk with other people. My group has all 3 types of surgery patients. Last month about 6 people were still deciding on what surgery to have wish you a lot of luck with your choices. I know I wish the band was around many years ago. The best thing I have done for myself in years. I am much older than you, 62 1/2.

Arlene

My dr first suggested the lapband to me 18 months before I decided to go ahead. I was pretty content with being a big girl - I thought I looked okay, my husband never had a problem with my weight, and having been big all my life, I didn't know any differently.

For me it was my younger brother being diagnosed with rampant diabetes that I realised I needed to take stock of my life. I have a 2 year old, and I didn't want to wait until I was told I had health issues that may prevent me from seeing him into adulthood.

So I got banded. In fact from the minute I made my decision to the day I was banded was 28 days (gotta love living in Australia).

I lost the weight, and then I realised what I'd been missing. I have a whole different life now, one of enjoying shopping, one were I have heaps more energy, one where, while my band was working, I didn't have to worry that I'd have a bad week eating crap and then put on 5lbs. It just didn't happen.

Yes I knew I would have to live with it for life. You adjust, you adapt, and the new ways become the new normal. It became so normal for me in fact that in the last 15 months where I've had a leak in my band and therefore can't feel it the majority of the time, I MISS it. I want that restriction back! :)

But like 2muchfun said, YOU have to be ready to do this. Wanting to lose weight is one thing, wanting to change the way you live in order to achieve your goals is actually more relevant. Until you're ready for that, you're probably not going to be prepared for what the band will bring, iykwim.

I would highly suggest that you attend not only one info seminar, but multiple. In my area (Raleigh, NC) we have 3 great hospitals that do WLS and many clincs and docs. By going to a couple of seminars you get different view points from the presenters and diffrent questions ask.

After that, schedule an appointment with a surgeon. Sit down and have a flat out open and honest chat. I was really scared of doing this at first, I do not like being put to sleep! I sat down and had a nice chat with the doc, I felt very comfortable with him and safe, so I felt much better about proceeding.

Remember, horror stories and success stories you hear and read about different WLS will not reflect your exact journey. We are all different and will have different experiences. I am not going to lie, you do have to change to make WLS a success, you make have to make changes, to the way you eat, drink and somewhat to how you live - but some of the changes are amazingly rewarding.

Before, deciding on ANY type of WLS make sure you are committed to and are comfortable with the changes you must make!

Good Luck!

Hello!

So here's my story and I need as much advise as you guys can give! I'm 21 5"2 and weigh 300 pounds. I went to my Dr and he stated that I was a very pretty girl but he wanted me to consider lapband. I've been doing research and looking at YouTube videos pretty much non stop. I need advice because I'm scared of having any kind of surgery one. And two I don't know if I can live with this tool the rest of my life. I've been a big girl my whole life, struggled with it since I can remember. I'm just really scared to get banded and I'm scared that even if I do go through with ill regret it later on!

Please help!! I need advice the good and the bad!!!

Thank you guys so much!!

i agree with all posters.

let me add i am about 5'2 on a good day and was at 336 when i got banded... it was no fun being as wide as i was tall...sure i was scared and all of that...but it was either do something about it (or risk getting bigger) which is most likely what i would have done..

its not a easy fix. you must change your life. from one extreme to the other pretty much. you must want to truly lose weight enough to actually do it. no excuses, no drama, no whining and let the band (or whatever WLS) do its job.

you will hear good and bad. each person will have a different take. i can spend all day telling you how much better my life is now (10 months post op) but it means nothing unless you want to do this for real and understand it is not a overnight fix.

best of luck to whatever you decide.

Thank you guys so much for all of your wonderful advice and personal stories! At this time I'm going to just do as everyone suggested! I'm going to attend some meeting and talk with people and drs in my area! I'm still just so new to this and still need to learn everything I can before I make this life changing decision!!

Hi there, everyone has given you wonderful advice. You are doing the right thing by researching and go to those seminars they are really helpful.

I remember being bigger in my teens and doing what silly teens do I starved myself to loose weight, I managed to loose so much, the unhealthy way, and I got down to 125 pounds. I loved being slim and being able to wear all the trendy clothes and look good and loved the male attention being so slim but within six months of getting to that weight I was struck down with a severe case of glandular fever which had me bed ridden for nearly three months I was so sick, it Took me a good year to get my health back.

After that it was constant yoyo dieting and two pregnancies my weight problem got out of control. I spent nearly all my 40s in a depressed heap mainly because of my weight. At 48 I finally had enough and I needed medical help to get this weight off, I did a lot of research and it took me a good year before I finally decided to get the lapband, in that year I tried and tried to stick to a diet but kept failing. I decided on lapband because I was scared shitless to have my insides cut away and knew if anything went wrong with the band it was reversible. I was also afraid of failing with the band.

As my surgery date got closer I was excited but still afraid hoping I had made the right decision. I remember being wheeled into surgery and kept saying to myself what the hell are you doing to yourself. Once it was done I was so relieved and I found every bit of willpower in me and with determination I stared my journey and ten months later I'm the happiest I've been in a long long time and I'm only a few pounds away from loosing 100 pounds.

My quality of life has improved and I actually feel younger than I am with the energy I have again.

You're young, yes it's a big step but you have a wonderful opportunity to get healthy at a young age and have an active life before you get to 30 or 40 etc and have put on more weight and regret not doing it years earlier.

Being so young it is a long time to have the band but think of the health benefits loosing your excess weight.

I wish you all the best in whatever decision you make.

Oh and one really important thing you need to research is the aftercare you will be provided, it's very crucial you get excellent aftercare to help you succeed.

The best advice I can give you is to stop watching YouTube videos and start researching actual facts. I would also find a seminar in your area to learn more about the band and talk to a bariatric surgeon.

You are right, the band is just a tool, but it is an amazingly effective when used properly. I have lost 200 pounds in the last 15 months with the help of my band. My only regret is that I didn't do it years sooner. I have my life back.

Best wishes on whatever you decide is right for you :)

I am going to quote the ever wise Mis73 because she is so spot on. I will add that I have 0 regrets and I wish I had done it much sooner. My band is my best friend....we don't always get along but we are in this together for the long haul with the same goals of much better, longer and healthier life.