Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spent most of the night and all morning in the ER....

So, Friday night, my stomach started hurting. Not nausea, just a pin in the upper middle. Mostly a nagging pain, nothing I couldn't live with. In fact, it was reminiscent of diverticultitis I had almost 3 yrs ago. I wouldn't do anyting till it got worse. Fast forward to yesterday, it was still there. 3 days later. Hate going to the ER or my Dr unless I'm actually dying. Since it had nothing to do with my band last time, I was sure it had nothing to do with it this time either. Told my husband before bed that if it wasn't magically better by morning, I would go to the dr. At midnight, I woke up in agony. I laid there for 3 hrs, trying to give my husband more time to sleep, then woke him up. Finally, I was going to the ER. They got me in right away (not normal for an ER). AFter labs, the dr ordered an antinausea drug and a pain med via iv. By this time, I was vomiting, something new - I hadn't been nauseous at all till now. It didn't touch the pain. So she gave me Ativan, I guess to sedate me a little. Went for a CT (ended up vomiting the whole liquid contrast up) but they got their pics anyway.

The dr finally came in, felt around, asked me questions and asked me how much Fluid was in my band. I really had no clue, after the minor slip fiasco last year, with unfills/fills/tweaks, I had no clue how much was in there. Welp, it WAS my band. Big time. The top part of my stomach was herniated over the band, causing strangulation. There was no one on staff that could even take out any fluid. No one knew how to do it.I was there for hours, finally getting a little more comfortable with the 2nd dose of pain meds and sleeping off and on. Waiting for the surgeon to say to send me over. The discharged me and sent me across the street to the general surgeon who also does lapbands. Saw his PA. Very nice female who showed me a pic of my US. Can't believe I suffered with that for 4 days. Anyway,she told me I'd need a revision. Finally, someone finally said it! I've been told this whole past year that my band was so slightly slipped, it just needed a small unfill and as long as I got rid of the symptoms, it would be fine. She proceeded to totally unfill me. I had 6cc in my 14cc band. She sent over the paperwork to my surgeon (whom is the only one Medicare would pay for otherwise I would just stay here) and he'll call me in the am with an appt - for my 6 hr trek.

I'm praying (and hard) that he'll leave me unfilled for a few weeks before wanting to do surgery. I'm leaving 3 weeks from today on a 7 day Alaskan cruise and really don't want to be on a liquid diet during that time. The PA didn't see why not, since the swelling was already down. I'm feeling great now, no pain at all. Just got up from a 2 hr nap.

Guess my band made up the decision for me - to actually have surgery and start from scratch, rather than continue on with a less than optimal band.

If you have abdominal pain, please don't be a hero - get it checked before 4 days. Before the pain is so out of control you just want to die. Wish me luck in waiting till after my cruise. I can't cancel it and take another - they just don't work that way. Looking forward to being on the cruise without an restrction at all! I know, I know - still have to follow the rules so I don't gain 40 lbs back.

Marci

I am so incredibly sorry you went through that but I'm glad you figured out the problem.

As far as your band- if you want it left empty then leave it empty. Don't give the surgeon even an option to refill it. Take control and tell him you're not getting a fill. Period.

Best wishes and I'll definitely keep you in my thoughts.

Marci...I was dismayed to read of your recent experiences.

I sincerely hope that all of the swelling will resolve, and that you will be able to enjoy your cruise. We went to Alaska via cruise several years ago...and it is definitely an experience of a lifetime.

Keep us posted on your progress with healing...

Best wishes, and happy travels...

Thank you for taking to time to post and give us all a heads up in case in happens to one of us. hugs and happy sailing

So, Friday night, my stomach started hurting. Not nausea, just a pin in the upper middle. Mostly a nagging pain, nothing I couldn't live with. In fact, it was reminiscent of diverticultitis I had almost 3 yrs ago. I wouldn't do anyting till it got worse. Fast forward to yesterday, it was still there. 3 days later. Hate going to the ER or my Dr unless I'm actually dying. Since it had nothing to do with my band last time, I was sure it had nothing to do with it this time either. Told my husband before bed that if it wasn't magically better by morning, I would go to the dr. At midnight, I woke up in agony. I laid there for 3 hrs, trying to give my husband more time to sleep, then woke him up. Finally, I was going to the ER. They got me in right away (not normal for an ER). AFter labs, the dr ordered an antinausea drug and a pain med via iv. By this time, I was vomiting, something new - I hadn't been nauseous at all till now. It didn't touch the pain. So she gave me Ativan, I guess to sedate me a little. Went for a CT (ended up vomiting the whole liquid contrast up) but they got their pics anyway.

The dr finally came in, felt around, asked me questions and asked me how much Fluid was in my band. I really had no clue, after the minor slip fiasco last year, with unfills/fills/tweaks, I had no clue how much was in there. Welp, it WAS my band. Big time. The top part of my stomach was herniated over the band, causing strangulation. There was no one on staff that could even take out any Fluid. No one knew how to do it.I was there for hours, finally getting a little more comfortable with the 2nd dose of pain meds and sleeping off and on. Waiting for the surgeon to say to send me over. The discharged me and sent me across the street to the general surgeon who also does lapbands. Saw his PA. Very nice female who showed me a pic of my US. Can't believe I suffered with that for 4 days. Anyway,she told me I'd need a revision. Finally, someone finally said it! I've been told this whole past year that my band was so slightly slipped, it just needed a small unfill and as long as I got rid of the symptoms, it would be fine. She proceeded to totally unfill me. I had 6cc in my 14cc band. She sent over the paperwork to my surgeon (whom is the only one Medicare would pay for otherwise I would just stay here) and he'll call me in the am with an appt - for my 6 hr trek.

I'm praying (and hard) that he'll leave me unfilled for a few weeks before wanting to do surgery. I'm leaving 3 weeks from today on a 7 day Alaskan cruise and really don't want to be on a liquid diet during that time. The PA didn't see why not, since the swelling was already down. I'm feeling great now, no pain at all. Just got up from a 2 hr nap.

Guess my band made up the decision for me - to actually have surgery and start from scratch, rather than continue on with a less than optimal band.

If you have abdominal pain, please don't be a hero - get it checked before 4 days. Before the pain is so out of control you just want to die. Wish me luck in waiting till after my cruise. I can't cancel it and take another - they just don't work that way. Looking forward to being on the cruise without an restrction at all! I know, I know - still have to follow the rules so I don't gain 40 lbs back.

Marci

((hugs)) am sorry to read but a glad you are feeling even somewhat better.

i hope your trip goes well....just try and enjoy it as i am sure you wont gain all that weight back.

thanks for posting a reminder to us all to go to the doctor no matter what

​I am very happy you finally went to the er. No one should be in pain. Have a wonderful cruise and bring a camera.

Sorry you had to go through all that but glad they have figured out what is wrong.

I hope you have a fabulous holiday.