Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Third Fill - Trying to decide if too tight!

Had my third fill last Friday. Was banded 12/21/12. Down a total of 50 lbs! Yay! 10 ml band, first fill was 2 ml and didn't feel anything. Second fill was another 2 ml and had to watch my bites. Got 1 ml last week and on the verge of being too tight. I know this is what I need and wanted - to actually have good restriction so I can't shovel it in! :) I think it is almost too tight though. Previously I could take normal drinks but now I am having to watch even my drink sizes - get the chest pressure if too much of anything, even Water. Up until this last fill I could eat fairly normal (not watching bite sizes or chewing 20-30 times). I'd like to see how the weight loss goes this month with this type of restriction. And no, no vomiting, stuck episodes, etc. Maybe I won't have to watch my calories so much. Up til now that is primarily how I've lost the weight, using MFP and staying around 1200 calories. I know I couldn't handle any more of a fill. My next goal is below 200, 11 more to go.

Just curious I guess how some of you more seasoned banders decide where to draw that line. Thanks for the feedback.

I see you're a nurse? My doc did the same with the first two fills and then only about .5 CCs after that. It took me 6 fills to find the green zone and he was only giving .25 CCs the last two. So, my doc likes to sneak up on the restriction.

This was good for me as it allowed me to get used to the eating small, chewing big slowly routine. Some people like that HUDGIE guy got restriction right away and didn't understand how to eat like a bandster.

Just be very careful to eat small bites, chew to mush, take your time and be wary of leftover meats. The dryness will stick in your pouch and cause a stuck episode. Stuck episodes aren't all that bad unless you chew a one inch piece of beef right after a fill. Then you deserve to get stuck.

Sounds like you're off to a fabulous start!

tmf

I've been thinking the same thing. Got my 3rd fill last Tuesday (added 1.5 cc) & now if I have more than just a tiny swallow of Water I feel the tightness in my chest and back. I'm going to call my Dr tomorrow because I've started getting sick even with just liquid... But I have lost 8lbs since the last fill... But I'd like to still be able to eat something! :-/

I agree with TMF, it does sound like you're off to a good start.

Because you're not vomiting, PBing, or constantly stuck I would guess you simply haven't adjusted to eating. Every time you get a fill it's a major learning experience. When I first got into the Green Zone, I originally thought I might be too tight too. In fact, I even had the same symptoms you are. After a couple days I tried a bite about the size of my fingernail (which is what I was told to do anyway) and sure enough I was fine. I simply had to learn to take small enough bites and chew it until mush.

Ultimately how tight (or loose) your band is up to you. If you feel you can't be happy at this level of Fluid then discuss a tiny unfill with your doc. But, if I were you, I'd really concentrate on how you're eating and see if that doesn't help so you can be happy where you are now.

Best wishes!

I would check with the doc. I call my doc anytime or email with questions. I do not want to harm George (my band). A good friend of mine has had a band for 5 years. She ended up having to have a second surgery to fix her band because she stayed to tight for to long and ended up slipping it. They tried pulling Fluid, but that didn't work. Now she is having problem reaching restriction again.

Not to scare, but it's never a band thing to seek a professionals advice. My personal non pro feeling is as long as you are not pb'ing and getting stuck a lot you should be ok. But the pressure in your chest should be discussed with the doc.

Congrats on your loss!

About two weeks after my last fill, I thought similar to you. Was I too tight? I didn't have any heartburn/reflux, or any other of the symptoms I read about on here, but it was uncomfortable/got stuck at times if I ate too fast or didn't chew really good.

Now I think I was still adjusting to even slower eating and chewing even better.

I read a lot of posts on here where folks get a fill, and within only a few days or a week, they are back at the doc for an unfill. Then a short time later they are back to needing a fill. It may be necessary for them.

For me, I just had to adjust my habits....not my band. I need the band for Portion Control.< /p>