Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Smoking prior to surgery

I am scheduled for surgery, I am a smoker. I recently stopped smoking just yesterday, they ask for you to stop it least a month before surgery. Would this be something that can effect tremendously If I don't?

I never thought this would be so hard to do. Any advice from anyone who has or is going through this!?

I quit smoking 2 years ago so I know how hard it is.

And yes, it can effect you huge if you smoke. In fact, many surgeons will test you for nicotine and won't perform the surgery if you've been smoking. They don't want the increased liabilities and risks of operating on a smoker.

Smokers are much more prone to problems going under anesthesia, more likely to develop post op pneumonia more likely to develop infections, and overall heal a lot slower than non-smokers. Simply put, smoking puts you at much higher risks for complications.

It's not easy to quit but it's worth it.

Best wishes

In addition smoking causes slow blood perfusion. So you will not heal as quickly or thoroughly.

So I guess I have no choose; thanks so much for the advice! :( I feel these next two months are going to be hell! :(

Have you tried the Blu electronic cigerette?

Have you tried the Blu electronic cigerette?

I didn't use that brand but I used an E-cigarette to quit. I had tried EVERYTHING else- Patches, gum, cold turkey, even Chantix- nothing worked. I got the E-cigarettes and never had a real cigarette again. Within about a month I wasn't using the E-cigs anymore either.

I used Pro-Smoke but I've heard good stuff about Blu, too.

Hey I also use Blu. I get them in 0 nicotine and they have a lot of awesome flavors. Free shipping on online orders and life time warranty.

http://www.blucigs.com/

I did try the ecig, it doesn't wrk :/ I'm gonna have to do it cold turkey maybe I won't go back after the surgery I hope!

I did try the ecig, it doesn't wrk :/ I'm gonna have to do it cold turkey maybe I won't go back after the surgery I hope!

Ask your doctor about Welbutrin. I smoked for more than 30 years and really enjoyed smoking. Thought I'd never be able to stop. The Welbutrin stopped my physical cravings and I was able to quit. Never thought it was possible but I did it. I also gained 60 lbs which is why I had to come to the decision that being banded was the right thing for me to do. The good news is that I haven't smoked in nearly 7 years and three months post-banded, I'm down 45 lbs. Good luck to you on all fronts. I know you will be successful stopping smoking and losing weight.

I quit smoking 2 years ago so I know how hard it is.

And yes' date=' it can effect you huge if you smoke. In fact, many surgeons will test you for nicotine and won't perform the surgery if you've been smoking. They don't want the increased liabilities and risks of operating on a smoker.

Smokers are much more prone to problems going under anesthesia, more likely to develop post op pneumonia more likely to develop infections, and overall heal a lot slower than non-smokers. Simply put, smoking puts you at much higher risks for complications.

It's not easy to quit but it's worth it.

Best wishes[/quote']

Good luck

You dont want to wake up with breathing problems that is why they ask you to stop a month before. You want to go in to surgery as healthy as possible. But I want to throw something out there also. I was a smoker before I had surgery, I quit the month before and after surgery I went back to smoking. When I lost my first 70lbs I decided to quit for good and my weight loss completely stopped for a year I gained 20lbs back. I would suggest and this is only a suggestion if you quit smoking for the month then dont go back after surgery. Once you quit smoking people always gain weight. I had hell getting my weight loss to kick in again after I quit but eventually it did work.

Thanks for the advice!! I really appreciate it! First day without smoking so I'm getting somewhere lol

Good luck to you I stop smoking at midnight the night of my surgery and it is hard you know how people normally eat to help with the sensation well we cannot do that you are basically stopping cold turkey and this is hard I already had the blu and I am finding myself using this only about 3 times a day remember MIND OVER MATTER good luck to you

I have a week I haven't smoked, and last night I had my first vivid dream of smoking I woke up thinking crap I messed up lol

I am trying to Quit as well. I am having so much trouble. My Date is May 3, and it is he@@ for me! Maybe we can be Support to each other.