Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This is a personal preference question, but including the doctor's advice is always helpful.

How much did you start walking the week after surgery? How fast and how far was a smart pace for you? Did it help you heal faster or prolong healing because you pushed yourself too far?

In my situation, we had to drive 2 hours, so the day of surgery, there was no walking for me. Then my kids got a stomach bug, so I had to be quaranteened to avoid picking that up (as in they were sick the day after I got home!) I am not on day 3 and can go walk. I did half a mile. Before surgery, I did not walk very much unless I was going on a nature walk/hike. Anyway, my head was hurting and so was my chest, so we came back to the house after half a mile to be safe, but I am thinking I should get back out there again. However, I do not want to over do it or get burnt out too earlier.

It really depends on how much you're physically able to walk.

When I had Lap Band surgery 15 months ago, I was lucky to be able to hobble around my house with a cane the week after surgery so I just did as much as I could. However just last week ago I had another laproscopic surgery that involved air inflating the abdominal cavity (gall bladder removal). Because I was 200 pounds lighter and healthier, I was able to take a 1 mile walk just 4 days after surgery. By day 7, I was back to my daily 2 mile walks.

So really, it all comes down to how much you can walk. I can tell you the more you walk the better you'll feel. It really does help work out all that air in your abdomen and work the Water weight off.

The minute I left recovery room, I started walking the halls. I've had abdominal surgery before and knew how bad gas could be. I can't stress enough how important walking is. Now you don't have to walk a marathon, but getting up every 2 hrs and taking a short stroll is good for you.

Good luck

BTW- a lot of us experience headaches for a day or two and I think it is due to the anesthesia and other drugs we are given.

The day after surgery, I started walking about 5 minutes at a time on my treadmill. really slowly. About every 4 hrs or so. Then, after a few days, worked it up to 10 minutes several times a day. Within a month post op, I was able to walk 30 minutes twice a day, at a moderate pace.

Just go slowly, but keep walking. Not only will it help with the gas, it can prevent blood clots!

Marci

2 hrs after i woke up, my hub and a hot as heck nurse (male) helped me up and down the hall and we did that quite a few more times until i left for home the next day....once home, i walked as much as i was able..due to my size/knee/leg pain, i couldnt go far but i did what i could.........the more i lost, the farther i can go.... agree with maddawg on the headache for a day or two...it did go away....

Thanks everyone! I am up to 3x a day at .5-.75 miles each trip. I am also getting faster each time without even trying. I use mapmywalk to keep track.