Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone IRRITABLE????

Holy crap man, I can't believe how irritable I've been over the last two days (banded on 21 Apr).

I mean, realllllllllllllllly irritable...anything and everything is sending me over the edge.

My husband is the most sweetest, gentlest, kindest, loving person and he has been (& is) so incredibly supportive going out of his way and going above and beyond for me (as he always does!) and yet I WANT TO BITE HIS HEAD OFF FOR NO REASON. I know it is because he is the only one around (no kids) and I feel "safe" with him...but I feel like such a rotten person when I bite at him. He sooooooooooooo does not deserve it. I just feel on the edge of exploding ALL the time for the last couple of days. What is WITH that?

I know, some of you will say it is because of the lack of food etc...but I've had this "lack of food now" since 7 Apr (2 week pre-op liquid diet).

Did any of you develop this extreme irritability? And if so, plse tell me it goes away sooooooon.

Hi Yoda -

I got irritable, too. No real reason - just emotional mood swings. I finally broke down crying one day on my way home from work wondering what the heck I'd done to myself.... (this was about a week after surgery). Once I started feeling more like my old self again (comfort wise), I turned back into myself again and all the weird out of control feelings went away! Hang in there!

I always go through a bout of depression after surgery...I think it's pretty common. Your body is pissed at you for putting it through such trauma. And I'm convinced that depression is also a side-effect of the anesthesia...it's very unnatural to be put down like that.

It lasted about two weeks for me. Don't worry, it will pass.

Someone will need to help me out on this, but I read where your hormones increase b/c the fat cells hold something (some kind of hormone) and when you lose between your pre-op diet, surgery, and then start taking weight off, it throws your body out of balance. It's kind of like having high hormones during pregnancy. Is this clear as mud? :confused:

Sorry I don't know more. Maybe someone can step in and explain it in more detail.

I think this is why it's common for surgeons to put their patients on antidepressants b/c it helps balance your body.

You're absolutely right 3loves. Hormones are stored in fat cells and as the fat is burned the hormones are released into the system. Ever notice how much you break out with pimples on your face and body when you start losing weight? That's why. So yes, being irritable, moody, anxious, overly happy, etc. is all normal.

Oh great....my husband will just love this new "normal"...LOL>...Yeah, I can understand the hormone thing (I also have PCOS); I just hope it goes away soon.

hmmmmm did I hear anti-depressants??? hmmmmm NO FAIR!! I DIDN'T GET ANY HAPPY PILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*hugs her happy pills* I'd have been lost without my Effexor. Seriously. But I started taking them about 3 weeks before I even knew I was going to be able to have the surgery. Wow.. my life took a 180 turn for the better last November. Oh, sorry.. this isn't my thread, is it? *laughs*

It won't stay this way Yoda, but in the meantime make the best of your "excuse"! LOL!

YES!!!!

I am very moody and upset!!! To top it off this morning I woke up with two spots on my face!!!! ZITS!!!!

Yoda!! I love you!!! So far, if I have a question and don't post it - you do !!!!!!!!! *HUGS*

LOL @ MelAnne....that's good, I guess. It makes sense since you are only 4 days ahead of me. As far as I know, you are the closest to my date...so I'm also curious how things go for you.

I was irritable and "down" until about 8 days after surgery...didn't know what was wrong with me. I needed Protein, more Water, Vitamins, and rest. Then I started to perk up and am now going full speed at three weeks!

I do agree with "StrawartS" in that my stomach felt like it was mad and fighting to get this belt off.

LOL @ MelAnne....that's good, I guess. It makes sense since you are only 4 days ahead of me. As far as I know, you are the closest to my date...so I'm also curious how things go for you.

LOL

I am crazy - no one should ever follow my actions here - I am already freaking out without my scales - my husband hid them last nite to help me stay true to my commitment to NOT WEIGH MYSELF - Unless the calendar says it is MONDAY AM!!!! LOL

Tonight I am trying not to beat myself up for eating half a portion of Taco Bell's Pintos and cheese.

Up to this point I have had very little - popcycles, Jello and pudding (all - SF) and a few table spoons of mashed potatos.

Dr appt Thursday, gunna press him for a fill date.

Keep up the good work MelAnne!

I got a fill date on the day of my surgery (2 Jun)...which happens to be exactly 6 weeks to the day of my surgery! It seems so far away! By then, I'll only have started experimenting with solid food for one week.

Hormones are stored in fat cells. Unfortunately, fat cells never die. They can shrink but they never go away. It's also very normal to have flucuations in hormone levels not only on a monthly basis but also in times of stress. Surgery happens to be a big stress on the body so mood swings are not uncommon after surgery.

You might also want to check with the dietician about advancing your diet. Are you getting in 60-70 grams of Protein a day? drinking enough Water? taking Vitamins?

The good news is things improve as time passes. In the mean time, why not concentrate your efforts on doing something special for your husband as a thank you for all the support he's given you?

Hormones are stored in fat cells. Unfortunately, fat cells never die. They can shrink but they never go away.

:angry eeep....fat cells never die???:( Ohhhh, the agony of having that knowledge! I'm envisioning wee little soldiers in my body shooting their AK47s at the fat cells and screaming at them: "DIE YOU #$#$%#$@ DIE!!"

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to be happy with shrinking cells.....

And, oh yes Elisabeth, I'm planning PLENTY of ways to say thank you to my husband!!! :Banane33: